Winding resistance of large motor vs small motor

In summary, during a lab session, the speaker ran a large and a small DC motor at max voltage and speed for five minutes. After taking readings, they noticed that the smaller motor had more than twice the winding resistance compared to before, while the larger motor's winding resistance remained almost the same. The speaker also mentions that the smaller motor had more winding resistance to begin with and questions why this would happen, considering both motors were run in the same room at the same temperature. However, the speaker no longer has access to the motors to measure their temperature.
knight92
Hi guys, I ran a large DC motor and a small DC motor for 5 minutes at max voltage/max speed. Took the readings for before running it and after running it and somehow the smaller motor after five minutes of running at max volt/max speed has more than twice the winding resistance where as the larger motor's winding resistance stays almost the same ? The smaller motor had more winding resistance to start with anyway, why is that ? (The max volt for both motors is 15volts but one is a high and the other is a low power motor)

I don't understand why something like this would happen I ran them in the same room and probably the same room temperature.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Measure the temperature of the motor before and after.

Well I don't have access to the motors anymore, it was in a lab session I do remember touching them and felt the same temperature but not sure.

1. What is winding resistance?

Winding resistance refers to the resistance of the copper wire coils that make up the stator and rotor of an electric motor. It is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of a motor.

2. How does the winding resistance of a large motor compare to that of a small motor?

In general, the winding resistance of a large motor will be lower than that of a small motor. This is because larger motors have more space for thicker and longer copper wire coils, which results in lower resistance.

3. Why is winding resistance important in motor design?

Winding resistance is important because it affects the amount of current that can flow through the motor and the amount of heat generated. Lower winding resistance allows for more efficient power transfer and reduces the risk of overheating.

4. How does winding resistance affect the efficiency of a motor?

The lower the winding resistance, the higher the efficiency of a motor. This is because lower resistance means less energy is wasted as heat, and more energy is converted into useful work.

5. Can winding resistance be adjusted in a motor?

Yes, winding resistance can be adjusted by changing the thickness and length of the copper wire coils. However, it is important to strike a balance between lower resistance and the cost and size of the motor, as thicker and longer coils may increase production costs and take up more space.