Gabriel's Horn (Area and Volume)

• Thread starter Siune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the area and volume of Gabriel's Horn between the interval [1, infinity), while also proving that the volume approaches infinity and the area also approaches infinity. The homework equations used are f(x) = 1/x and f'(x) = -1/x^2, with the volume formula being pi from 1 to infinity of (f(x))^2 dx and the area formula being 2pi from 1 to infinity of |f(x)| * sqrt(1+(f'(x))^2) dx. The conversation also mentions a messy integral and suggests using the comparison test for integrals. There is also a discussion about missing a 1/2 on all terms and confusion about the
Siune

Homework Statement

To calculate the area and volume of Gabriel's Horn between [ 1, infinity ).
And at the same time prove that, volume closes to finity, while area (or surface ) goes to infinity.

Homework Equations

f(x) = 1/x
f´(x)= -1/x^2

Volume = [itex]\pi[/itex] [itex]^{\infty}_{1}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] ((f(x))^2 )dx

Area = 2[itex]\pi[/itex] [itex]^{\infty}_{1}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] | f(x) | * [itex]\sqrt{}[/itex](1+(f´(x))^2) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

First page
Second page

I get the Volume done nicely, but the area? I know i could approximate the √(1+(1/x^4)) = √1 and it would solve easily, but what I'm doing wrong in my integral there? If we insert for example the s = 1, we get ln( 1-1 ) which we know ain't allowed.

So I think my integral is totally off but can't figure out how.

Sincerely yours,
Siune

Physics news on Phys.org
You were on the right track, but it gets to be a messy integral. I would just use the comparison test for integrals.

I don't see where the (-1/2) on the second page, first line went. Your integral seems fine except that you're missing a 1/2 on all your terms. The next step would be to sub back in your substitutions and clean up your answer.

Edit: I also don't understand your limits of integration. You're still integrating from 1 to infinity. If I read your writing correctly, you have them set up from sqrt(2) to 1 on the second page, why?

1. What is Gabriel's Horn?

Gabriel's Horn, also known as Torricelli's Trumpet, is a mathematical concept that describes a three-dimensional shape with infinite surface area, but finite volume.

2. Who is Gabriel?

Gabriel refers to the biblical angel Gabriel, but the name is used to honor Italian mathematician Evangelista Torricelli who first described the shape in the 17th century.

3. How can a shape have infinite surface area but finite volume?

This concept is possible in mathematics because the surface area and volume of an object are calculated using different formulas. In order for a shape to have infinite surface area, its cross-sectional area must approach zero as it extends infinitely. However, its volume can still be calculated and remain finite.

4. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of Gabriel's Horn?

The formula for calculating the surface area of Gabriel's Horn is given by A = 2π∫b^a 1/x dx, where a is the starting point of the horn and b is the end point. This integral evaluates to infinity, giving the horn its infinite surface area.

5. Why is Gabriel's Horn considered a paradox?

Gabriel's Horn is considered a paradox because it challenges our understanding of basic geometric concepts. It goes against our intuition that a shape with infinite surface area would also have infinite volume. It also raises questions about the limitations of mathematical models and their applicability in the real world.