Deciding College Major: Balancing Interests & Abilities

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary: So, if you enjoy problem solving and being able to see the big picture then engineering is definitely the career for you!
Cod
I'm currently a sophomore in college and still have not declared a major to pursue. The problem is that I cannot decide which factors in my decision making should bare the most importance in my final decision. There are so many things in life that interest me; however, a lot of the things that interest me are things that I'm not too good at. Basically, what I'm saying is, should I weight my decision more on what I'm interested in or put more emphasis on what I'm good at?

Just one example is my great interest in computers (security, research, etc.); however, I'm not very good even after I gain knowledge. On the other side of the spectrum, I'm a great salesperson. But it is something that really doesn't interest me much beyond what I already know.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok answer these questions:
1. Where would you like to work in 5 years?
2. How much would you like to make per year?
3. What interests you technically - making things or using things
4. How far are you willing to go in educational persuits (e.g. how long you willing to spend in school and in further training/education after you graduate)
5. What are your strenghts (e.g. sciences or math or liberal arts or business)

My answers as of today, December 20:

1) Haven't really thought about specific companies
2) At least 50k per year (US Dollars)
3) Making things
4) I'll pursue educational aspects as far as I need to and more
5) Marketing, Advertisement, Basic Science, Basic Mathematics, Bartending :smile:

Being good at sales will usually give you a higher ceiling in terms of salary versus a person with good technical skills. Senior people at firms (like CEO's or managing directors or law firm partners for example) tend to spend a good portion of their time trying to bring in new business - and it's often the main reason for them being promoted to that position to start with.

So - I'd look at an MBA or something like that. Then get a management job in an industry that interests you, like the computer industry.

I think what you are looking for is a career in engineering. A degree in engineering will give you a problem solving set of mind, or in your case an opportunity to see what your client needs (doing consulting work). You should check out these careers:

Chemical Engineering (you will be able to go into marketing, sales, law and even medical school after this one) - requires math proficiency, love for chemistry, physics, and lately biochemistry and genetics. Check out this link for more info - http://www1.cems.umn.edu/orgs/aiche/archive/history/h_whatis.html and http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos029.htm

Mechanical Engineering - anything that moves, produces power or uses heat. This profession is very broad, yet not as highly technical as other engineering fields. It has a bit of every engineering field. More info here - http://www.eng.fsu.edu/general/department_ppt/mechanical%20A.ppt and http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos033.htm

All engineers (except for civil - they start from around 41k) make around 50k a year from start. As you progress (in 5-10 years) you can expect to make anywhere from 70 to 80k and beyond that could even go over 100k/yr. All of these fields use computers at their workplace. But the end result is a product - you are always making things

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the importance of balancing interests and abilities when choosing a college major?

Balancing interests and abilities is crucial when choosing a college major because it ensures that you are pursuing a field that you are both passionate about and capable of excelling in. This balance can lead to a more fulfilling and successful academic experience.

How can I determine my interests and abilities?

There are various ways to determine your interests and abilities. You can take career assessment tests, speak with a career counselor, reflect on your past experiences and hobbies, and talk to people in fields that interest you.

What should I do if my interests and abilities do not align?

If your interests and abilities do not align, it is important to consider your priorities. Are you more interested in pursuing a field that aligns with your passion, or one that aligns with your abilities? You may also want to explore majors that combine both interests and abilities, or consider taking courses and gaining experience in a field outside of your major.

Is it possible to change my college major if my interests and abilities change?

Yes, it is possible to change your college major if your interests and abilities change. It is important to regularly reassess your interests and abilities and make adjustments to your academic path as needed. Many colleges have resources and support systems in place to assist students with changing their major.

What other factors should I consider when deciding on a college major?

In addition to balancing interests and abilities, it is important to consider factors such as job market demand, salary potential, job satisfaction, and potential for growth and advancement in a particular field. It is also important to consider the resources and support available at your chosen college for your chosen major.