A bit of a problem with the liberal arts department

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary: Well, you can't make people believe something. And you can't make someone like you. And you certainly can't make someone like you by disagreeing with them.In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's experience with a philosophy class where they wrote an essay on the topic of the good life, supported by scientific evidence. However, the professor did not appreciate the scientific perspective and made comments about leaving science out of philosophy papers. The speaker is concerned that the professor's beliefs will affect their grades and debates whether to continue writing from their own perspective or follow the professor's instructions. The conversation also delves into the idea of being true to one's beliefs and the potential consequences of going against the professor's views.
Nano-Passion
I've went above and beyond in my philosophy class and wrote an outstanding (at least compared to other students) essay, or in my opinion at least. I had very good sentence structure, coherence and flow, vocab and ideas, good progression of logic, I had original insight into the topic, and finally I brought much more to the table than what was asked etc. The topic was about the good life, and I supported my idea of happiness with a good solid foundation of science. I brought up deep and profound philosophical topics and went above to provide original insight into the philosophy. However I got a B+. I was very surprised to say the least.

Later, I figure out why I attained that grade. During class, the professor mentioned "leave the science out of it, this is a philosophy paper," and "don't write about the chemistry of happiness." (The Cold Chemistry of Happiness was the title of my paper and the main theme was happiness from a scientific perspective and rooted in a philosophical context. I quickly questioned (professionally and in a mannerly order) the professor in class and added my perspective, saying "Science is the pursuit of truth, and philosophy through science is only stronger."

I wasn't surprised to find that the professor is a faithful theist, and believed that "science is materialistic." Unfortunately, he believes in some mumbo-jump psyche complex (at least it seems to me; as much of a relativist as I am, I am an absolutist with respect to science). Surprising to say, the professor and I have a pretty good relationship, I usually start an intellectual conversation with him. In addition, I actually find him to be a very intelligent and wise person, full of philosophical complexity.

But what I am afraid of is that his differing belief will completely affect his judgement of my papers. I talked to him after class a bit (not about the grade but concerning science and philosophy), and the conversation was running in circles. There is just no way to get to him the value of science in philosophical topics it seems. I don't want to have a bad semester grade because he believes that science should stay out of it; I will not be able to keep science out of it in my future essays because science is the very center of my life, including my belief systems.

Unfortunately, this is a perfect example of how your graded based on what the professor wants to hear (in humanities).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My experiences with humanities professors mirror yours. Once you discover what you're dealing with, you have two choices: continue on the path you're on, and get a B or maybe even a C. Or you can do what the prof is telling you to do - write papers on the topics he assigns, i.e., leave science out of it.

The first choice, staying on your path, is for stubborn people. The second path, doing what the prof assigns, is for people who do what they're told.

The first path will result in a higher GPA. The second, not so much.

Me...I'm stubborn :tongue2:.

What will you choose?

lisab said:
My experiences with humanities professors mirror yours. Once you discover what you're dealing with, you have two choices: continue on the path you're on, and get a B or maybe even a C. Or you can do what the prof is telling you to do - write papers on the topics he assigns, i.e., leave science out of it.

The first choice, staying on your path, is for stubborn people. The second path, doing what the prof assigns, is for people who do what they're told.

The first path will result in a higher GPA. The second, not so much.

Me...I'm stubborn :tongue2:.

What will you choose?
I'm stubborn too unfortunately. Luckily, I am well articulated; I can transfer the energy of my adamant position to convince him of my approach. :biggrin:

personally, i'd be inclined to do what i would do anyway, to the best of my ability. it comes down to: who do you want to be...the person you'd like to be, or the person you'd like other people to think you are?

for some, the outward image is everything: social standing and reputation mean more to them than any inward ideal. there's nothing wrong with this, but it is certainly a different path than being true to what you believe. but, in all fairness...that way (living your beliefs) is fraught with cost: for there will be many people who don't see things as you do, and may actively put obstacles in your way.

that said: there is something to be said for trying to put aside your own beliefs, and understand someone else's. there's a fine line between stubbornness, and pig-headedness. and, just because your professor may be prejudicial, doesn't make you right.

in other words: it's not just about how well-written your paper might have been. are you learning anything from the class? is that showing in what you've written? are you aware of the short-comings in your own belief system?

if the answer to all of the above is "yes", then it could be a case of simple injustice. life is like that, it's rather hard to avoid. don't worry, the class won't go on forever.

Nano-Passion said:
However I got a B+. I was very surprised to say the least.

B+ is good.

But what I am afraid of is that his differing belief will completely affect his judgement of my papers.

First of all, I know lots of people in academia that love it when people disagree with them. I also know lots of people that don't. Figure out which one your professor is, and behave accordingly. The fact that you got a B+ for a paper which he disagrees with suggests that its closer to the former than the latter.

There is just no way to get to him the value of science in philosophical topics it seems. I don't want to have a bad semester grade because he believes that science should stay out of it; I will not be able to keep science out of it in my future essays because science is the very center of my life, including my belief systems.

The question then becomes can *you* constructively deal with people that have different philosophical beliefs. Also, can *you* think in the mindset of someone whose beliefs you fundamentally disagree with. If you can't, then I don't think you should get an A in the course.

(Also, personally, I think it is *extremely* unwise to make science the center of your life. Science is far, far too uncertain for that.)

Unfortunately, this is a perfect example of how your graded based on what the professor wants to hear (in humanities).

First, you got a B+.

Second, yes you are graded based on what the professor wants to hear, because it's his class. Some professors like to argue. Some don't. If the professor is being a jerk (and I don't see any sign that he is) then write exactly what he wants you to write, get the grade you want, and then you are done. Consider it training for when you have to do this at work.

Deveno said:
for some, the outward image is everything: social standing and reputation mean more to them than any inward ideal. there's nothing wrong with this, but it is certainly a different path than being true to what you believe. but, in all fairness...that way (living your beliefs) is fraught with cost: for there will be many people who don't see things as you do, and may actively put obstacles in your way.

On the other hand, maybe the professor as a point. What if your beliefs *are* wrong.

One of the reasons to try to write something that will make your professor happy is that it will help you learn what he thinks. Knowing what he thinks may be useful, because it let's you think about how the world looks from different eyes. Also, *even* if you conclude it's all nonsense, being able to write an essay from a different viewpoint will let you out argue them. I'm pretty sure that if someone asked me to, I could write a decent essay supporting young Earth creationism, and being able to write a convincing essay supporting young Earth creationism makes it more effective for me to undermine it.

in other words: it's not just about how well-written your paper might have been. are you learning anything from the class? is that showing in what you've written? are you aware of the short-comings in your own belief system?

And you got a B+. If you are going to go into a tail spin because you got a B+, you are not going to do well in graduate school.

The other thing is that I think it's more likely that my view of the world is closer to your professors than it is to yours. I think the statement that "science is the pursuit of truth, and philosophy through science is only stronger" is fundamentally wrong, and if you are getting a professor that is forcing you to question that statement (and I don't think he is being a jerk about it) that's good for you.

Think about it conversely: what if you wrote a paper about philosophy on your E&M midterm? Especially after the professor specifically told you 'numbers & symbols only' on your test? "What is EMF really? It's nothing more than our imagination..." I don't think will get you very far.

I think you should count yourself lucky that you got a B+ for doing something your instructor specifically said he didn't want (sounds like he wanted something purely metaphysical). Part of a liberal education is learning to think differently - or at least express yourself in different terms. Applying the same rhetoric to every paper/class/experience doesn't actually expand your personal context. Humanities classes are supposed to expand the horizons for STEM majors just as Science classes are supposed to expand the horizons for English majors.

Nano-Passion said:
... I got a B+. I was very surprised to say the least.
Later, I figure out why I attained that grade. During class, the professor mentioned "leave the science out of it, this is a philosophy paper," and "don't write about the chemistry of happiness." (The Cold Chemistry of Happiness was the title of my paper...

I've known professors, atheist or theist, who would have given me an F for totally ignoring their explicit demand. And actually rubbing his face in it with that title! The essay would have come back in shreds from some of those profs... Why not stretch your mind by trying to 'leave the science out'?

Nano-Passion said:
But what I am afraid of is that his differing belief will completely affect his judgement of my papers. I talked to him after class a bit (not about the grade but concerning science and philosophy), and the conversation was running in circles. There is just no way to get to him the value of science in philosophical topics it seems. I don't want to have a bad semester grade because he believes that science should stay out of it; I will not be able to keep science out of it in my future essays because science is the very center of my life, including my belief systems.

I don't think his differing beliefs will cause him to give you bad grades. In fact, I think he was generous in giving you a B+, a decent grade, after you didn't follow his specific instructions to "leave the science out". If "leaving the science out" entirely is so personally difficult for you, at least try to make it less central to your papers... like don't put it in the title of your essay! For example, if you typically mention science in 10 paragraphs in your essays, try to just mention it in one or two.

EDIT: Plus, just because something is at the center of your belief system doesn't mean you must bring it up all the time. For example, I am Christian, but I once took a class in Existentialist Philosophy, much of which denies the value of Christianity or other religions. I did not feel the need to bring my personal beliefs into my essays. In fact, I am glad I took this class and was exposed to new ideas and beliefs that contradicted my own.

mal4mac said:
I've known professors, atheist or theist, who would have given me an F for totally ignoring their explicit demand.

Same here. If the professor had failed you and screamed at you, then he is obviously being a jerk, and then thing to do there would be to just make him happy until you leave the class. With a B+, it doesn't look like the professor was being a jerk, and who knows. Maybe he was going to give you a B but added points because you disagreed with him.

Having been on the evaluation end of things, trying to outguess yourself can make your mind go in circles. For example, if you interview someone and get a bad impression, you have to ask yourself whether that bad impression was because the interviewee just disagreed with you, in which case if you give your gut evaluation you'll just end up with yes-men and that's a bad thing. But if you try to correct for that, you have to figure out how much and how, and your head starts spinning, because you might be giving someone too many points for disagreeing with you.

And even if you get rid of conscious bias, then you always have to worry about unconscious bias.

Nano-Passion said:
I've went above and beyond in my philosophy class and wrote an outstanding (at least compared to other students) essay, or in my opinion at least. I had very good sentence structure, coherence and flow, vocab and ideas, good progression of logic, I had original insight into the topic, and finally I brought much more to the table than what was asked etc. The topic was about the good life, and I supported my idea of happiness with a good solid foundation of science.

And you know this because you think it's true?? Maybe the essay is just not as good as you think?? A bit of self-criticism can never hurt.

Nano-Passion said:
Later, I figure out why I attained that grade. During class, the professor mentioned "leave the science out of it, this is a philosophy paper," and "don't write about the chemistry of happiness." (The Cold Chemistry of Happiness was the title of my paper and the main theme was happiness from a scientific perspective and rooted in a philosophical context. I quickly questioned (professionally and in a mannerly order) the professor in class and added my perspective, saying "Science is the pursuit of truth, and philosophy through science is only stronger."

I haven't read your paper, but I don't necessarily disagree with what your prof is doing. I mean, if you're a science person, obviously you think about science all of the time and are good at it. The professor knows this, and so is probably just pushing you to branch out a bit.

But yeah, I see where you're coming from, too. I usually incorporate science as much as possible into my elective courses so I don't get bored. I had to do an article review for a geography class once, and one of the possible articles was about population growth. It was a technical paper and had all kinds of linear algebra and differential equations in it, so of course I picked that one. :smile:

Without seeing the essay it's impossible to comment on your claims about its excellence, but apparently you made one basic mistake: you didn't answer the question that you were asked. Treat that as a learning experience.

Of course there are times and situations in real life where not answering the question you were asked is a good strategy, but "handing in work that affects your course marks" isn't one of them.

Nano-Passion said:

I used Category Theory when doing an assignment on diagonalization and self-reference in my logic class, but my Professor wanted me to use set theoy and recursion, because that's what the class was about. He didn't give me an A, even if I did much more than he asked for, and in a much more interesting way than he wanted me to.

Unfortunately, this is a perfect example of how your grade is based on what the Professor wants to hear (in mathematics).

(Are you serious?)

920118 said:
I used Category Theory when doing an assignment on diagonalization and self-reference in my logic class, but my Professor wanted me to use set theoy and recursion, because that's what the class was about. He didn't give me an A, even if I did much more than he asked for, and in a much more interesting way than he wanted me to.

Unfortunately, this is a perfect example of how your grade is based on what the Professor wants to hear (in mathematics).

(Are you serious?)

It's true, on one hand, that category theory is vastly more interesting that what your professor asked for, but it's also true that you need to know set theory and recursion. Now, you probably do know those things, but the only thing the professor has to go on is the work that you hand in. He's grading your knowledge of those concepts, which he can't do unless you use those concepts.

I sympathize, though, since I once has marks taken off for invoking a result from group theory in an introductory mathematics course.

micromass said:
And you know this because you think it's true?? Maybe the essay is just not as good as you think?? A bit of self-criticism can never hurt.

My thoughts exactly. I highly doubt that your professor is just picking on you because of your beliefs.. You probably didn't follow the assignment correctly and now it's time to take a bite from the humble pie. After you're done eating, throw it up back up in their face.

If anyone can say they went through college with a grudge it was me. From my very first semester of college I know people thought less of me because I was the "black kid from the ghetto." Anytime, I would get bad grades I would use these as a motivating factor to prove myself. Do whatever it takes to show that professor that you're smarter than he/she is. Make them write that A+ on that next paper so you can hold your head high.

Number Nine said:
It's true, on one hand, that category theory is vastly more interesting that what your professor asked for, but it's also true that you need to know set theory and recursion. Now, you probably do know those things, but the only thing the professor has to go on is the work that you hand in. He's grading your knowledge of those concepts, which he can't do unless you use those concepts.

I sympathize, though, since I once has marks taken off for invoking a result from group theory in an introductory mathematics course.

I think they were using an example to undermine the claim that humanities professors are the only ones that grade based on they want to hear.

A B+ is still good, and you should be more concerned about learning that a grade. Your professor seems to really care about your learning and most likely wants you to think from a different perspective. I feel his personal beliefs have very little to do with how he graded you.

Thinking in a non-scientific perspective may be doing you a favour. There are times when I don't want to talk about science at all. Although I love physics, I do think I would get a little annoyed if the physics of cooking was mentioned frequently when I talk about my cooking. :P

twofish-quant said:
Same here. If the professor had failed you and screamed at you, then he is obviously being a jerk, and then thing to do there would be to just make him happy until you leave the class. With a B+, it doesn't look like the professor was being a jerk...

Then again, maybe he was. I've known jerks who will do anything for an easy life. I would ask the student to rewrite the essay 'according to instructions', maybe after a lengthy e-mail exchange! Students can't just write the essay they want 'cause they dislike the one they are asked to write... Otherwise what is the point of having teachers? If the student then point blank refused to write the essay I would, without shouting and screaming, award an F. Some jerk of a dean would then probably haul me up for not being nice to the student... I'm so glad I'm out of the academic scene :)

Deveno said:
personally, i'd be inclined to do what i would do anyway, to the best of my ability. it comes down to: who do you want to be...the person you'd like to be, or the person you'd like other people to think you are?

that said: there is something to be said for trying to put aside your own beliefs, and understand someone else's. there's a fine line between stubbornness, and pig-headedness. and, just because your professor may be prejudicial, doesn't make you right.

if the answer to all of the above is "yes", then it could be a case of simple injustice. life is like that, it's rather hard to avoid. don't worry, the class won't go on forever.

I'm learning, but I'm not aware of the short-comings of my own belief system. To me science is and just is. It is truth. Of course it is not the complete truth, and there are lots of holes to fill; but I would rank it higher then vague ideas of the soul etc. I'm going to visit my professor and learn as much as possible about his own ideas though. I will give it a chance.

twofish-quant said:
B+ is good.
For an intro to philosophy class it is not good (to me).

twofish-quant said:
The question then becomes can *you* constructively deal with people that have different philosophical beliefs. Also, can *you* think in the mindset of someone whose beliefs you fundamentally disagree with. If you can't, then I don't think you should get an A in the course.
I can deal with others with different philosophical beliefs, I'm a relativist at heart. But when I hear ideas that science is materialistic, and to resist mentioning science then my ears tend to slightly close. Using science as a guide to philosophy is almost a common sense to me. Science becomes a guideline in which you can thread, because it holds elements of truth. It keeps philosophy from straying too far. Philosophers use science unknowingly to an extent. You don't hear of philosophers saying "we are the most important beings in the universe because we are the center of the universe," simply because science says we aren't even the center of the solar system. Science is a guideline, it keeps philosophy from running wildly rampant away from reality. I realize that science has a lot of evolution to do, but its what we have now.

twofish-quant said:
(Also, personally, I think it is *extremely* unwise to make science the center of your life. Science is far, far too uncertain for that.)
Science is as certain as it gets. Science is based on more certainty than any liberal arts. It is certainly more certain than pseudo ideas of astrology and other who are not supported by science.

twofish-quant said:
And you got a B+. If you are going to go into a tail spin because you got a B+, you are not going to do well in graduate school.
Well, its just the fact that it is an intro to philosophy class and because the grade was because of a philosophical difference--my paper being materialistic in his opinion. I thought different philosophical ideas were supposed to be accepted by the validity of their argument. And if you ask me, the validity of my arguments are much more than other pseudo-scientific ideas of the soul (whatever soul is supposed to mean anyways).

twofish-quant said:
The other thing is that I think it's more likely that my view of the world is closer to your professors than it is to yours. I think the statement that "science is the pursuit of truth, and philosophy through science is only stronger" is fundamentally wrong, and if you are getting a professor that is forcing you to question that statement (and I don't think he is being a jerk about it) that's good for you.
I can't see how it is fundamentally wrong. See my previous argument about this.

You are a very scientific- minded individual (or so it seems). I don't see how you would actually dismiss science and pursue other vague ideas.

mege said:
Think about it conversely: what if you wrote a paper about philosophy on your E&M midterm? Especially after the professor specifically told you 'numbers & symbols only' on your test? "What is EMF really? It's nothing more than our imagination..." I don't think will get you very far.

I think you should count yourself lucky that you got a B+ for doing something your instructor specifically said he didn't want (sounds like he wanted something purely metaphysical). Part of a liberal education is learning to think differently - or at least express yourself in different terms. Applying the same rhetoric to every paper/class/experience doesn't actually expand your personal context. Humanities classes are supposed to expand the horizons for STEM majors just as Science classes are supposed to expand the horizons for English majors.

But it was philosophy. It was my philosophy of the good life, verified by the idea of science of happiness. That doesn't compare to using electromagnetism verified by philosophy, because philosophy doesn't verify electromagnetism.

Also, he didn't say beforehand to avoid science. He only said it after he handed back our papers. I didn't go against his wished or anything. He asked for a philosophical paper, and I gave him one.

mal4mac said:
I've known professors, atheist or theist, who would have given me an F for totally ignoring their explicit demand. And actually rubbing his face in it with that title! The essay would have come back in shreds from some of those profs... Why not stretch your mind by trying to 'leave the science out'?

His demand was only noted after the paper was given back.

sweetpotato said:
EDIT: Plus, just because something is at the center of your belief system doesn't mean you must bring it up all the time. For example, I am Christian, but I once took a class in Existentialist Philosophy, much of which denies the value of Christianity or other religions. I did not feel the need to bring my personal beliefs into my essays. In fact, I am glad I took this class and was exposed to new ideas and beliefs that contradicted my own.
But I didn't bring any personal beliefs in. I simply noted the good life, and based it around happiness. Then, I supported it by what neuroscience and psychology has to say about happiness. How is that a personal belief? Its an impersonal and objective reality supported by hundreds of years of work.
Mmm_Pasta said:
I think they were using an example to undermine the claim that humanities professors are the only ones that grade based on they want to hear.

A B+ is still good, and you should be more concerned about learning that a grade. Your professor seems to really care about your learning and most likely wants you to think from a different perspective. I feel his personal beliefs have very little to do with how he graded you.

Thinking in a non-scientific perspective may be doing you a favour. There are times when I don't want to talk about science at all. Although I love physics, I do think I would get a little annoyed if the physics of cooking was mentioned frequently when I talk about my cooking. :P

I'll visit my professor his next office hours and will listen to his beliefs. I want to understand them as much as possible. I'll seek first to understand, then to speak. Then I'll adjust my following papers accordingly (to some extent).

Nano-Passion said:
[1]But it was philosophy. It was my philosophy of the good life, verified by the idea of science of happiness. That doesn't compare to using electromagnetism verified by philosophy, because philosophy doesn't verify electromagnetism.
[...]
[2] I'll visit my professor his next office hours and will listen to his beliefs. I want to understand them as much as possible. I'll seek first to understand, then to speak. Then I'll adjust my following papers accordingly (to some extent).
(bold added by me)

1. Would you mind telling what your thesis was, and how you went about to defend it? Based on your claim above it sounds, to me at least, as if you totally messed up.

2. Either your professor is an ***, and tweaking your essays according to his views is a good idea, or you're consistently missing the point. I for one have never had a professor give me a bad grade for disagreeing with him/her, and I've never met anyone who has either.

"leave the science out of it, this is a philosophy paper," and "don't write about the chemistry of happiness."

Which bit of this sentence didn't you understand?

Jobrag said:
"leave the science out of it, this is a philosophy paper," and "don't write about the chemistry of happiness."

Which bit of this sentence didn't you understand?

Let me answer that question with a direct quote of my original post.
Nano-Passion said:
Later, I figure out why I attained that grade. During class, the professor mentioned "leave the science out of it, this is a philosophy paper," and "don't write about the chemistry of happiness."

What bit of this sentence did you not understand? Later implies after. After what? After the test was handed back.

Nano-Passion said:
Let me answer that question with a direct quote of my original post.

What bit of this sentence did you not understand? Later implies after. After what? After the test was handed back.

So if you figured it out, why are you still blaming the professor for your grade?? You know what was wrong now and how you should fix it.

micromass said:
So if you figured it out, why are you still blaming the professor for your grade?? You know what was wrong now and how you should fix it.

But there is nothing wrong with the essay. Obviously there was a disagreement between his and my philosophy. He stated it himself when he said "science is materialistic." I realize that one should try to adapt to prejudice and bias with respect to grades but I don't see why so many on this thread are agreeing with him. I guess the only argument that will hold is whether my essay has many flaws or fulfills the criteria.

920118 said:
(bold added by me)

1. Would you mind telling what your thesis was, and how you went about to defend it? Based on your claim above it sounds, to me at least, as if you totally messed up.

2. Either your professor is an ***, and tweaking your essays according to his views is a good idea, or you're consistently missing the point. I for one have never had a professor give me a bad grade for disagreeing with him/her, and I've never met anyone who has either.

1) The essay was to be written on your idea of a good life. My thesis was that the good life to me was happiness. I'll post my essay to see how I defended it. Though there isn't much to defend, it is a personal essay of what the good life to you is. Not what IS the good life. It was specifically stated by him many times.

2) Well that is pretty much what happened. My essay just didn't agree with his views, and he shunned my philosophy as materialistic. I'll post my essay in a few moments.

Nano-Passion said:
But there is nothing wrong with the essay. Obviously there was a disagreement between his and my philosophy. He stated it himself when he said "science is materialistic." I realize that one should try to adapt to prejudice and bias with respect to grades but I don't see why so many on this thread are agreeing with him. I guess the only argument that will hold is whether my essay has many flaws or fulfills the criteria.

Uuuh, science by definition is materialistic... You better have very good arguments to argue the contrary.

I don't quite understand it anymore. Before you wrote your essay, didn't he say "no science"?? That implies that your grade is the result of not following his instructions and the grade would be entirely justified.
If he said "no science" after the essay was written and handed in, then you might have a point.

micromass said:
Uuuh, science by definition is materialistic... You better have very good arguments to argue the contrary.

I don't quite understand it anymore. Before you wrote your essay, didn't he say "no science"?? That implies that your grade is the result of not following his instructions and the grade would be entirely justified.
If he said "no science" after the essay was written and handed in, then you might have a point.
Better to be materialistic than be superstitious. I don't see a problem with "materialistic." The way he said it held a negative connotation, as if he looked down upon it.

He said no science after the essay was written and handed in. Anyways, at the moment I'm trying to upload my essay on google document but I'm running into a bit of a problem. I'll upload it in a few moments.

For the readers:

Format asked of:

2-3 pages (I gave him 5 pages but he didn't seem to mind, 2-3 was probably a minimum).
Clearly bold and underline your sections
Section 1: Introduction, briefly introduce your personal idea of a good life.
Section 2: Correlation, correlate it to another philosophy of a good life.
Section 3: Group Input, how did your group contribute/discuss your correlation
Section 4: Theory, name your theory and discuss it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My essay: https://viewer.zoho.com/docs/aSjbda [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:

I agree.

To Nano-Passion: From the requirements stated earlier, it's very clear that you didn't follow them correctly. There comes a point when you have to accept that you did something wrong. I'm very bullheaded too but this is getting out of hand. Fix it and move on.

twofish-quant said:
B+ is good.

Not in my experience. B+ is bad, its going to set your GPA back and make your grad application less competitive.

Nano-Passion said:
For the readers:

Format asked of:

2-3 pages (I gave him 5 pages but he didn't seem to mind, 2-3 was probably a minimum).
Clearly bold and underline your sections
Section 1: Introduction, briefly introduce your personal idea of a good life.
Section 2: Correlation, correlate it to another philosophy of a good life.
Section 3: Group Input, how did your group contribute/discuss your correlation
Section 4: Theory, name your theory and discuss it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My essay: https://viewer.zoho.com/docs/aSjbda [Broken]

Wow. Never had an assignment like that... He's clearly crazy (I'm serious. Section 3 and 4 doesn't seem philosophically relevant at all). Do you mind if post eventual comments in this thread, or would you rather have them sent to you privately? :smile:

btw, did you write it in English originally, or did you translate it afterwards?

Last edited by a moderator:
SophusLies said:
I agree.

To Nano-Passion: From the requirements stated earlier, it's very clear that you didn't follow them correctly. There comes a point when you have to accept that you did something wrong. I'm very bullheaded too but this is getting out of hand. Fix it and move on.

I'm not sure specifically what requirements you are talking about and I don't understand why you think its getting out of hand. This is just a thread about a belief prejudice that affects one's grade. Judging by the papers of my peers, I suspect that it was just that issue.

Your telling me to accept that I did something wrong. And I argue that there is nothing wrong with using science to guide your philosophy. *Read my argument in response to two-quant and others.* So with that said, there is two things we can do from here. 1) We can discuss our different points of view as per any dispute. Or 2) you can tell me that it is getting out of hand and judge me as very bullheaded. The latter is personally frustrating because I've made my argument and people seem to ignore its basis.

Read the paper and judge from there, I won't be offended if you tell me this is the worst paper ever created by mankind. I rather a criticism given from a good basis of information than one from a lack of one.

920118 said:
Wow. Never had an assignment like that... He's clearly crazy (I'm serious. Section 3 and 4 doesn't seem philosophically relevant at all). Do you mind if post eventual comments in this thread, or would you rather have them sent to you privately? :smile:
Any is fine.

btw, did you write it in English originally, or did you translate it afterwards?[/B]
That sounds a bit like a joke at my essay lol but at any rate it was originally written in English.

This is why I don't like Humanities classes. There is no way to decide if your professor is being unfair even if we could see the essay. I think this ambiguity makes Philosophy classes and the like fundamentally authoritarian and should be treated as such.

I didn't like the essay. Some remarks

1) Your references consist out of wikipedia and www.expertscolumn.com. These are not scholarly references. If you want to back your point up with science, at least provide a scientific references.

2) Your view of happiness is a little bit skewed. You see happiness as everything that makes you happy. Then what if I strap you to a chair and pump drugs in you that constantly make you happy. According to your philosophy, this would be the ultimate form of happiness. But I don't think many people would actively choose for this form of existence. There is something you're missing.

3) You say that the pursuit of intellect and wisdom is part of the pursuit of happiness. I did not see any argument why this might be true.

4) You suggest that good and evil are just the product of indoctrination in your childhood. I don't think this is backed up by science. I would rather say that good and evil are evolutionary byproducts. People with a severely undeveloped sense of evil get selected against. In any case, you should think more about this.

5) You fail to recognize that a human lives in a society and that the society has certain norms and ideals. Conformation to society is in most cases desirable as it will make you happier.

<h2>1. What is the problem with the liberal arts department?</h2><p>The problem with the liberal arts department is that there has been a decline in enrollment and funding, leading to budget cuts and a decrease in course offerings.</p><h2>2. How will this problem affect students?</h2><p>This problem will affect students by limiting their options for liberal arts courses and potentially impacting the quality of their education in this department. It may also lead to longer wait times for required courses and difficulties in completing degree requirements.</p><h2>3. What caused this decline in enrollment and funding?</h2><p>There could be multiple factors contributing to this decline, such as a shift in students' interests and career goals, a lack of marketing and promotion for the liberal arts department, or a decrease in government funding for these types of programs.</p><h2>4. What steps are being taken to address this issue?</h2><p>The university may be implementing strategies such as increasing marketing efforts, offering new and relevant courses, seeking alternative sources of funding, and collaborating with other departments to create interdisciplinary programs. They may also be conducting surveys and gathering feedback from students to better understand their needs and interests.</p><h2>5. What can students do to support the liberal arts department?</h2><p>Students can support the liberal arts department by enrolling in courses, spreading awareness about the value of a liberal arts education, and providing feedback and suggestions to the department. They can also participate in events and activities organized by the department and advocate for increased funding and resources for the department.</p>

1. What is the problem with the liberal arts department?

The problem with the liberal arts department is that there has been a decline in enrollment and funding, leading to budget cuts and a decrease in course offerings.

2. How will this problem affect students?

This problem will affect students by limiting their options for liberal arts courses and potentially impacting the quality of their education in this department. It may also lead to longer wait times for required courses and difficulties in completing degree requirements.

3. What caused this decline in enrollment and funding?

There could be multiple factors contributing to this decline, such as a shift in students' interests and career goals, a lack of marketing and promotion for the liberal arts department, or a decrease in government funding for these types of programs.

4. What steps are being taken to address this issue?

The university may be implementing strategies such as increasing marketing efforts, offering new and relevant courses, seeking alternative sources of funding, and collaborating with other departments to create interdisciplinary programs. They may also be conducting surveys and gathering feedback from students to better understand their needs and interests.

5. What can students do to support the liberal arts department?

Students can support the liberal arts department by enrolling in courses, spreading awareness about the value of a liberal arts education, and providing feedback and suggestions to the department. They can also participate in events and activities organized by the department and advocate for increased funding and resources for the department.