Integration - u substitution problem (Integration by parts?)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of 3x*(2x-5)^6*dx, using u-substitution. The person started by letting u=2x-5 and solving for dx, but then ran into trouble when trying to integrate the resulting expression. With guidance, they were able to properly substitute for x and solve the integral, arriving at the correct answer of 3/32*(2x-5)^8 + 15/28*(2x-5)^7 + c.
sg001

Homework Statement

Find the integral of 3x* (2x-5)^6*dx, let u= 2x -5.

Homework Equations

Im not sure if i am meant to use integration by parts or not?? I was able to do previous questions of the topic just using u sub to get rid of the first x variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

So i started by
u= 2x-5
du/dx = 2
dx= du/2

integral of 3x * (u)^6* du/2
3x/2 *1/7 (u)^7 +c

= 3x/14 * (2x-5)^7 +c
However i know this is wrong because i took the integral in the form of a product (with two x variables).

Please help i have been teaching this topic to myself via online videos as I do not go to school, and want to catch up before i start uni (majoring in physics ;))

Physics news on Phys.org
sg001 said:

Homework Statement

Find the integral of 3x* (2x-5)^6*dx, let u= 2x -5.

Homework Equations

Im not sure if i am meant to use integration by parts or not?? I was able to do previous questions of the topic just using u sub to get rid of the first x variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

So i started by
u= 2x-5
du/dx = 2
dx= du/2

integral of 3x * (u)^6* du/2
You're fine up to here, but you need to get the integrand in terms of just u, so solve u=2x-5 for x and substitute the result into the integrand.

Thanks for the quick reply, although

doing this I get,
x=(5+u)/2
Hence, 3*(5+u/2)*1/2*1/7*(u)^7
= 15/28 *(2x-5)^7 + c

Butthe apparent answer is not this
it is... 3/32 * (2x-5)^8 + 15/28 (2x-5) +c

So i got the last part,, but where does the first part come into the equation??

Thanks in advance.

sorry, error in the answer it should be,

3/32 * (2x-5)^8 + 15/28 (2x-5)^7 +c

You have to substitute for x first, multiply everything out, and then integrate.

still don't understand because it looks as if he has integrated once to get u^7 and then again to get u^8? I am lost.

You need to take it one step at a time. You got to
$$\frac{3}{2} \int x u^6\,du$$ which you can't integrate yet. So you substitute for x and get
$$\frac{3}{4} \int (u+5) u^6\,du$$ Now how do you integrate that?

just got that ooooohhh moment.
thanks so much for the help greatly appreciated.
live long and prosper ;)

1. What is integration by u-substitution?

Integration by u-substitution is a method used to find the antiderivative of a function by replacing a variable with a new variable, u, in the integral. This allows us to rewrite the integral in terms of u and then solve it using the power rule, chain rule, or other integration techniques.

2. When do you use u-substitution in integration?

U-substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a function within a function, such as f(g(x)). By choosing u to be the inner function, we can rewrite the integral in terms of u and then use integration techniques to solve it.

3. How do you choose the appropriate u in integration by u-substitution?

The most common strategy is to choose u to be the most complicated part of the integrand, such as a trigonometric function or a function raised to a power. However, there is no set rule for choosing u and it may require trial and error to find the most appropriate substitution.

4. What is the difference between integration by u-substitution and integration by parts?

Integration by u-substitution involves replacing a variable with a new variable in the integral, while integration by parts involves breaking down the integrand into two parts and using the product rule to solve the integral. Both methods are used to find the antiderivative of a function, but they are used in different situations.

5. Can you use u-substitution and integration by parts together in one integral?

Yes, in some cases, it may be necessary to use both integration by u-substitution and integration by parts to solve an integral. This is often the case when the integrand contains multiple functions or complex expressions. In these situations, it may be helpful to use both methods together to simplify the integral and find the antiderivative.