Mass of galaxy from luminosity

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of estimating the mass of a galaxy at redshift 1 by using its luminosity in the K-band. The speaker is unsure of how to use the IMF and questions the relevance of the salpeter and luminosity function since they require volume. They mention having the half light radius but are unsure if it should be used. They ask for guidance in the right direction.
Chronos000

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand how the mass of a galaxy at redshift 1 can be estimated by knowing its luminosity in the K-band. I've been told you are able to use the IMF but I'm not sure of the details. I really don't see how you could use the salpeter, or the luminosity function as this requires the volume. I do have the half light radius but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use this. A nudge in the right direction would be a great help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations I'm not sure what equations would be relevant hereThe Attempt at a Solution I'm really not sure how to answer this question.

1. What is the relationship between a galaxy's luminosity and its mass?

The luminosity of a galaxy is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the more luminous a galaxy is, the more massive it is likely to be. This relationship is known as the luminosity-mass relationship.

2. How can we determine a galaxy's mass from its luminosity?

Scientists use the luminosity-mass relationship to estimate a galaxy's mass from its luminosity. This is done by comparing the galaxy's luminosity to that of other galaxies with known masses.

3. Why is it important to know a galaxy's mass?

Knowing a galaxy's mass is important because it can tell us about the galaxy's evolution, structure, and dynamics. It can also help us understand how galaxies form and how they interact with each other.

4. Can we accurately determine a galaxy's mass from its luminosity?

While the luminosity-mass relationship provides a good estimate of a galaxy's mass, it is not always accurate. Other factors such as the age and composition of stars in the galaxy can also affect its luminosity and therefore, its estimated mass.

5. Are there other methods for determining a galaxy's mass besides using its luminosity?

Yes, there are other methods for determining a galaxy's mass, such as measuring the rotation curves or using gravitational lensing. These methods provide more direct measurements of a galaxy's mass, but they also have their limitations and may not be applicable to all galaxies.