Mirror Reflection: Tracking Sunlight with Arduino

In summary, the person is looking for someone to help them with information related to a heliostat project.
Poor_student
Hi

I have build a setup where there are two RC motors to drive a mirror which is 2 dimensional. I have been thinking to write a program in Arduino such that after tracking (from solar tracker which i already made) the sunlight , the mirror should always be reflecting on a desired angle no matter where the sun is. I am trying to think of any ideas how this could be implemented. But I could not get anywhere, I hope i could get some advice on this. I am thinking to start with horizontal axis only for the moment. so how could this be implemented. If the Sun rises from East and sets to west I want the mirror to reflect on a specific angle all day, say its 30 degrees for example.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Poor_student said:
Hi

I have build a setup where there are two RC motors to drive a mirror which is 2 dimensional. I have been thinking to write a program in Arduino such that after tracking (from solar tracker which i already made) the sunlight , the mirror should always be reflecting on a desired angle no matter where the sun is. I am trying to think of any ideas how this could be implemented. But I could not get anywhere, I hope i could get some advice on this. I am thinking to start with horizontal axis only for the moment. so how could this be implemented. If the Sun rises from East and sets to west I want the mirror to reflect on a specific angle all day, say its 30 degrees for example.

It seems like you need to start with some drawings, and then do some example settings to see what kind of variation you get in the angles.

Yes, I couldn't get that word heliostat in my head. Sorry, for my english.

Any ideas on how to implement it ? And I am using Arduino

Well that wikipedia link I posted pretty much tells you what you need to know. Another source would be the NREL.

http://www.nrel.gov/

A simple search for arduino and heliostat brought up:

http://www.solbot.at/ [Broken]

a little digging can answer your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
scutterbob said:
Well that wikipedia link I posted pretty much tells you what you need to know. Another source would be the NREL.

http://www.nrel.gov/

A simple search for arduino and heliostat brought up:

http://www.solbot.at/ [Broken]

a little digging can answer your questions.

Very good posts scutterbob. I'm starting to get the feeling that the OP wants us to do their project for them...

We can point you to information sources, Poor_student, but you need to do the work on your school project.

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Very good posts scutterbob. I'm starting to get the feeling that the OP wants us to do their project for them...

We can point you to information sources, Poor_student, but you need to do the work on your school project.

I was looking for some one to give me some information, not for some one to give me a solution. Please don't judge. Thank you

No personal comments please...

1. What is "Mirror Reflection: Tracking Sunlight with Arduino"?

"Mirror Reflection: Tracking Sunlight with Arduino" is a project that uses an Arduino microcontroller to track the movement of sunlight and reflect it onto a stationary surface. This can be used for a variety of purposes, such as directing natural light into a room or focusing sunlight for solar energy purposes.

2. How does it work?

The project works by using a light sensor to detect the intensity and direction of sunlight. The Arduino then uses this information to adjust the position of a mirror, which reflects the sunlight onto a desired location. This process is repeated throughout the day to ensure the maximum amount of sunlight is captured.

3. What materials are needed for this project?

The materials needed for this project include an Arduino microcontroller, a light sensor, a servo motor, a mirror, and various electronic components such as wires and resistors. You will also need access to a computer to program the Arduino.

4. Is this project difficult to build?

The difficulty level of this project will depend on your experience with electronics and programming. If you are familiar with Arduino and have some basic knowledge of electronics, you should be able to complete this project with relative ease. However, if you are new to these concepts, you may need to do some additional research and learning before attempting this project.

5. What are the potential applications of this project?

There are many potential applications for this project, including using it to increase natural light in a room, redirecting sunlight for gardening purposes, or even collecting solar energy. It can also be used as a learning tool for students to explore concepts such as solar energy and programming. The possibilities are endless!