Help understanding quadratic gravity

In summary, the conversation is about the term "quadratic gravity" and its appearance in General Relativity papers. The concept refers to extensions of GR where the Lagrangian includes terms that are quadratic in the Riemann tensor, such as R^2 and R_μνR^μν. The speaker initially did not understand the concept but after a quick reply, they realized that it refers to the squared Ricci tensor in the action used in various papers.
graupner1000
Hi all.

I keep coming across the term "quadratic gravity" in various GR papers and don't entirely understand the concept as it doesn't seem to be explained anywhere. It seems to appear most frequently in the context of pp-waves. So I was hoping somebody could enlighten me as to what its all about :smile:

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't that refer to extensions of General Relativity in which the Lagrangian includes terms that are quadratic in the Riemann tensor. That is, instead of just R you include R2, RμνRμν, etc.

Put like that it does make sense. Now I look at it, the action used in various papers does have the Ricci tensor squared in one form or another. Suppose I really should have noticed :biggrin:.
Thanks for the quick reply

What is quadratic gravity and how does it differ from general relativity?

Quadratic gravity is an alternative theory of gravity that proposes a modification to the equations of general relativity. It introduces a quadratic term in the equations, which results in a different prediction for the behavior of gravity at very high energies.

What are the implications of quadratic gravity for our understanding of the universe?

Quadratic gravity has the potential to explain some of the phenomena that general relativity cannot, such as the accelerated expansion of the universe. It also offers a way to reconcile quantum mechanics with gravity, which is a major challenge in modern physics.

How does quadratic gravity affect the predictions of general relativity?

At low energies, quadratic gravity produces the same predictions as general relativity. However, at very high energies, it predicts a different behavior for the gravitational force. This could potentially solve some of the problems that general relativity encounters at the quantum level.

What evidence do we have for the validity of quadratic gravity?

Quadratic gravity is still a relatively new and untested theory. There have been some studies and experiments that support its predictions, but more research is needed to fully confirm its validity. Currently, general relativity remains the most well-supported theory of gravity.

How does quadratic gravity relate to other theories of gravity, such as string theory?

Quadratic gravity is one of many alternative theories of gravity that have been proposed. It is not directly related to string theory, but some aspects of string theory can be incorporated into quadratic gravity to provide a more comprehensive understanding of gravity at all energy levels.