Why Do Objects Absorb & Reflect Different Colors?

• Thread starter Newtons Apple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Light
In summary, the colors we see are a result of selective absorption of light by certain materials, where the frequency of the light wave matches the frequency at which electrons in the material vibrate. This absorption of energy by electrons can also create thermal energy. Our eyes have different color receptors that perceive a ratio of cone stimulations as a color, and the space of colors and intensities that we can perceive is 3 dimensional. Therefore, many different light combinations can appear as the same color to us.
Newtons Apple
( Pink floyd joke in the title..from Dark side of the moon...which incidently has the light prism on the cover...) Hey everyone... Question from a most curious student... The color we see, the red on my flash drive, the green of the money in my wallet, or the blue of my shirt, what am I actually seeing? I know that the entire wavelength of light, all the colors mixed together, hit the object in question, and what's reflected is the color we see...But what causes the reflection or absorbtion of certain colors. If I have green paint of something, why does it absorb all the other colors except green? Or likewise, if I have a brown desk, what in the desk's make up, is causing the other waves of colors to be absorbed except the brown? (which is blue green I think?)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Good question, I was curious so I google'd around and learned something new!

The selective absorption of light by a particular material occurs because the selected frequency of the light wave matches the frequency at which electrons in the atoms of that material vibrate. When the two frequencies match, the electron absorbs the energy, never to be seen. -http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/light/u12l2c.cfm

In short- Electrons absorb some of the light frequencies, the frequencies left are the ones you see.

Also, when the energy is absorbed, the electrons create thermal energy. That may be why during the summer a black car is hot to the touch, but a white car isn't (as hot). But that's just my speculation, would be totally awsome if that's why! :tongue:

Hope I've helped. :shy:

Last edited:
GrimReapiN said:
Also, when the energy is absorbed, the electrons create thermal energy. That may be why during the summer a black car is hot to the touch, but a white car isn't (as hot). But that's just my speculation, would be totally awsome if that's why! :tongue:
That is right.

>> When the two frequencies match, the electron absorbs the energy, never to be seen.
At least there is a chance to have this. Another option is that the electron just releases the energy again and emits a photon - which might reach your eye. But the basic idea is that you have to look at the structure of the material: Which wavelengths can it absorb, what happens afterwards?

Your eyes have three (or four if you are lucky) different kinds of color receptors ("cones"). Each type of color receptor has a photon response curve peaked at a different value of wavelength. So, some colored light will hit your eyes and stimulate your cones in some ratio. You perceive the ratio of cone stimulations as a color.

With three photoreceptors, the space of colors and intensities that we can perceive is 3 dimensional, but the space of possible light combinations is infinite dimensional (# of functions of intensity vs frequency). What this means is that many different light combinations appear the same color to us.

Just because something is green doesn't mean it is only giving off "green" photons.

Last edited:

I can provide an explanation for why objects absorb and reflect different colors. This phenomenon is determined by the physical and chemical properties of the object's surface. When light hits an object, it can either be absorbed, transmitted, or reflected. The color that we see is the result of the wavelengths of light that are reflected off the surface of the object.

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by the object's surface. For example, a red object appears red because it absorbs all other colors except for red. This is due to the molecular structure of the object's surface, which determines the wavelengths of light that can be absorbed. In the case of green paint, it absorbs all other colors except for green because of the chemical composition of the paint.

Similarly, a brown desk appears brown because it absorbs most of the colors in the visible spectrum except for the brown wavelength. The brown color is a combination of red, green, and blue wavelengths, which are reflected off the surface of the desk. This is due to the pigments or dyes present in the wood or paint of the desk, which selectively absorb certain wavelengths of light.

In summary, the color we see is a result of the wavelengths of light that are reflected off an object's surface. The object's physical and chemical properties determine which wavelengths are absorbed and which are reflected, resulting in the color that we perceive. I hope this explanation helps to satisfy your curiosity, and perhaps we can discuss further about the fascinating world of light and color. Oh, and I am a big fan of Pink Floyd too.

1. Why do different objects have different colors?

Objects have different colors because they absorb and reflect different wavelengths of light. The color we see is the result of the wavelengths that are reflected off the object's surface and into our eyes.

2. How do objects absorb and reflect light?

Objects absorb and reflect light through the atoms and molecules that make up their surface. These atoms and molecules have electrons that can absorb and reflect specific wavelengths of light, giving the object its color.

3. What causes an object to have a specific color?

The specific color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects. For example, an object that appears red reflects red wavelengths of light and absorbs all other colors.

4. Why do some objects change color under different lighting?

Some objects may appear to change color under different lighting because they are reflecting different wavelengths of light. For example, a red object may appear darker under blue light because it is not reflecting any blue wavelengths.

5. Can the color of an object be changed?

Yes, the color of an object can be changed by altering the wavelengths of light that it reflects. This can be done through painting, dyeing, or other methods of altering the object's surface to absorb and reflect different wavelengths of light.