Hydrostatic force on a plane surface

In summary, hydrostatic force on a plane surface is the force exerted by a stationary fluid on a surface that is completely submerged in the fluid. It is calculated by multiplying the pressure at the centroid of the surface by the surface area. The magnitude of this force is affected by the density and depth of the fluid, as well as the shape and size of the surface. Real-life applications of hydrostatic force include civil, marine, and hydraulic engineering, as well as activities like swimming and diving. Hydrostatic force can also have a significant impact on the stability of structures submerged in water, making it important to consider in their design.
sdaysley
i have this example of a hydrostatic force on a plane surface.

what i don't understand is how the width of the integral strip is derived

it says w(s)=b(s-s1)/L i don't understand how this comes about?

would be really greatful if anyone could direct me i can't find anything on triangular lamina double integration :S

cheers!

Attachments

• physics forums.doc
    138 KB · Views: 226
Engineering news on Phys.org
just draw a perpendicular from the vertex on the base and then use the property of similar triangles.
w/b=S-s1/L

great thanks for that

What is hydrostatic force on a plane surface?

Hydrostatic force on a plane surface is the force exerted by a stationary fluid on a surface that is completely submerged in the fluid. It is a result of the pressure of the fluid acting on the surface.

How is the hydrostatic force calculated?

The hydrostatic force on a plane surface is calculated by multiplying the pressure at the centroid of the surface by the surface area. This can be represented by the equation F = P x A, where F is the hydrostatic force, P is the pressure, and A is the surface area.

What factors affect the magnitude of hydrostatic force?

The magnitude of hydrostatic force on a plane surface is affected by the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the shape and size of the surface. The hydrostatic force increases with an increase in density and depth, and also varies with the shape and orientation of the surface.

What are some real-life applications of hydrostatic force on a plane surface?

Hydrostatic force on a plane surface is used in various industries, such as civil engineering, marine engineering, and hydraulic engineering. It is also used in everyday activities like swimming and diving, as well as in the design of dams, bridges, and ships.

How does hydrostatic force impact stability of structures?

Hydrostatic force can have a significant impact on the stability of structures, especially those that are submerged in water. It is important to consider the magnitude and direction of hydrostatic force when designing structures to ensure their stability and safety.