What does it mean for a chemical reaction to do work on a battery?

In summary, batteries have different ratings of voltage because of the materials used in them. This is determined by the standard reduction potentials of the chemicals used, which indicate how easily they can gain or lose electrons. A battery works by having a chemical that easily oxidizes on one side and a chemical that easily reduces on the other, creating a flow of electrons. The difference in standard reduction potentials between the two chemicals determines the voltage of the battery. Simply put, the easier the redox reactions occur, the higher the voltage of the battery.
htttp
Hi everyone!

I basically understand how the materials used in the chemical reaction of a battery work but now I want to know why some batteries have different ratings of voltage.

From what I've read, this depends on the materials that are used. What does it mean for some materials to do more work on the charges in the battery? Does this just mean that the chemicals are talking more electrons from the cathode and supplying more electrons for the anode? I guess my real question is what is the difference between a 1.5v battery and a 1.25v battery? I'm not looking for a short answer like "It's just the materials used in the battery." I'm looking for an answer of how those materials affect the charges and how that affects the voltage and how the "chemistry" of the battery affects the "physics" of the battery.

Thanks for all your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know how much chemistry background you have, so if this is either too confusing or not specific enough, please tell me.

Different chemicals (usually metal ions) have different "standard reduction potentials." This basically means that it takes different amounts of energies to add electrons to it, and depend on how strongly electrons in each species are attracted to their nuclei.

[Example table of Standard Reduction Potentials]

If you have a look at the table, you'll see that some species really "like" to gain electrons, while others don't. The more positive they are, the more likely they are to be reduced (gain electrons), while the really negative ones are likely to be oxidised (lose electrons).

A battery basically puts one chemical that oxidises easily on one side, and a chemical that reduces easily on the other. The chemical that oxidises keeps losing electrons, while the chemical that reduces accepts them.

Now, back to that table - the voltage of a battery depends on the difference in standard reduction potential between the chemicals used. Find the two chemicals in a battery on one of those tables and subtract them: the absolute value of that answer is the voltage of your battery.

Basically, the battery's voltage depends on how easily your chosen chemicals oxidise or reduce. If redox reactions happen easily, then the voltage is higher.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a chemical reaction doing when it works on a battery?

A chemical reaction working on a battery means that it is either supplying electrons to the battery or accepting them from the battery. This process is what creates the flow of electricity and allows the battery to power devices.

2. How does a chemical reaction power a battery?

A chemical reaction powers a battery by creating a flow of electrons from one electrode to another. This flow of electrons is what creates an electrical potential difference, or voltage, that can be used to power devices.

3. What role do the chemicals in a battery play in the chemical reaction?

The chemicals in a battery play a crucial role in the chemical reaction as they are the reactants that undergo a redox reaction. The anode, or negative electrode, is typically made of a metal that easily loses electrons, while the cathode, or positive electrode, is made of a material that readily accepts electrons. The electrolyte, a liquid or gel substance, allows for the movement of ions between the electrodes.

4. How does the amount of work a chemical reaction can do on a battery depend on the battery's design?

The amount of work a chemical reaction can do on a battery depends on the battery's design in several ways. The type of chemicals used, the surface area and distance between the electrodes, and the composition and concentration of the electrolyte can all affect the battery's capacity and efficiency.

5. Can a chemical reaction do work on a battery forever?

No, a chemical reaction cannot do work on a battery forever. Eventually, the reactants will be depleted and the battery will no longer be able to produce a flow of electricity. This is why batteries have a limited lifespan and need to be replaced or recharged.