Should I switch careers at 27?

• Thread starter peterAce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the speaker is a 27-year-old software developer who is feeling worn out and unfulfilled in their current career. They are considering pursuing a second bachelor's degree in hopes of finding a different career path that involves less time sitting behind a computer. They are interested in electrical engineering and civil engineering, but are unsure if these fields would be a good fit for them given their lack of experience and knowledge in these areas. They are also worried about potential age discrimination in the job market. The expert advises against pursuing a second bachelor's degree and instead recommends getting a master's degree in a related field to broaden their knowledge and make them more competitive in the job market.
peterAce
Hi,

I've completed a bachelor in computer engineering (software development). Working as software developer for almost 3 years now. Am 27.

I don't hate the software development but it's wearing me out. It's also that I'm always in the same office, looking at code behind pc. I feel it's not good for me. Yes, I should have figured that out earlier. Also I don't see the future in this "carreer" all that bright because there's a huge age discrimination. Why hire a 45 year old software developer when a 20 something knows about the same? Anyway I just don't want to be stuck looking at code the next 15 years.

I'm really looking for a jump into something else and do another bachelor. Broaden my knowledge and so I can apply for more jobs than just software developer.

Do you think this is too late or stupid?

I want to get into a field where long term experience does matter. Preferable it should be somewhat related to previous study or the one study should have an advantage over the other. I could do something entirely unrelated but that's not that smart i guess?

I would really like to not be stuck behind a pc all day long.

Does electrical engineering have a lot of 'on location' jobs? Or is it also just office work sitting behind a pc? I guess electrical engineering has some things in common with software engineering and it would broaden my knowledge instead of a complete switch.

Civil engineering looks very interesting to me, but it has absolutely nothing in common with software development. Also my experience knowledge in this is basicly none.

Thanks for any advice, negative or positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
peterAce said:
Also I don't see the future in this "carreer" all that bright because there's a huge age discrimination. Why hire a 45 year old software developer when a 20 something knows about the same? Anyway I just don't want to be stuck looking at code the next 15 years.
Of course there's discrimination against a 45 year old versus a 20 something when the 20 something "knows about the same." There's nothing special here with regard to software development. Discrimination occurs in just about any technical field against people who haven't progressed after 20 years on the job. Age discrimination isn't so bad (at least not at 45) if you constantly improve yourself and if keep your eye on your career. Don't let yourself get stuck in the same task for a long time, particularly when you are young. Don't move from one task to another to another, each of which is a carbon copy of the first.

Aside: Right now the age discrimination is against those 20 somethings. Hiring someone straight out of college is always a bit of a risky endeavor. Why hire a freshout when there are tons of seasoned engineer who were laid off thanks solely to the economic downturn?

I'm really looking for a jump into something else and do another bachelor. Broaden my knowledge and so I can apply for more jobs than just software developer.
Employers don't look kindly on people with two bachelors. It's much better to get a master's degree. It takes less time, costs less money, and is worth a whole lot more in the long run. This is true even if you choose to get a master's in a field slightly different from your undergrad degree and have to take a few undergrad courses to get up to par.

1. Should I switch careers at 27?

This is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. There are several factors to consider, such as your current job satisfaction, future career prospects, and financial stability. It may also be helpful to seek advice from a career counselor or mentor.

2. Will switching careers at 27 hurt my chances for success?

Switching careers at any age can be a challenging and uncertain process, but it does not necessarily hurt your chances for success. It may actually open up new opportunities and allow you to pursue a career that aligns better with your interests and passions.

3. Can I switch to a completely different field at 27?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a completely different field at 27. Many people make successful career changes later in life. However, it may require additional education or training, and you may need to start at an entry-level position in your new field.

4. What are the potential benefits of switching careers at 27?

Switching careers at 27 can bring a variety of potential benefits, such as increased job satisfaction, higher salary potential, and the opportunity to pursue your passions and interests. It may also provide new challenges and learning experiences that can help you grow both personally and professionally.

5. Are there any risks involved in switching careers at 27?

Like any major life decision, there are potential risks involved in switching careers at 27. These may include financial challenges, starting at a lower position or salary, and uncertainty about the future. It is important to carefully weigh the potential risks and benefits before making a decision.