How Do You Solve the Equation e^x - x^3 + x^2 - 2x = 0?

• Thread starter Cheman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the transcendental equation e^x-x^3+x^2-2x = 0, and suggests using a graphical method or a fixed point solution. The solutions for x are approximately 1.727780 and 4.098178. The conversation also includes tips for formatting equations using superscripts and subscripts without using LaTex.
Cheman
Does anyone know how to solve the following equation:

e^x-x^3+x^2-2x = 0.

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
x = 1.727780...
x = 4.098178...

It doesn't work that way...It's a transcendental equation.It's solutions are found only by approximation...Graphical method is the best to use...

Daniel.

Cheman said:
Does anyone know how to solve the following equation:

e^x-x^3+x^2-2x = 0.

Thanks in advance.

Do you know that without using LaTex you can still do superscripts using the [ sup ] [ /sup ] tags (without spaces)

For example. e^x can be written as e[ sup ]x[ /sup ] (to produce) ex.

Type in [ sup ] (without the spaces), copy it, then just paste it as you type. Then add the slash to the trailing tags.

With just a little pasting your equation could look like this,...

ex-x3+x2-2x = 0.

Or even encapsulate the whole mess in a larger font size llike so,...

ex-x3+x2-2x = 0

The're even nestable. For example you could do something like the following without using latex at all.

e(x2-y2)

You can also do subscripts the same way using [ sub ] [ /sub ]

Sorry. I just hate messy looking equations. :biggrin:

The good part is that,even written in this "horrible" way,it's still inteligible.Thankfully it didn't involve fractions... :tongue2:

Daniel.

arcnets said:
x = 1.727780...
x = 4.098178...
Yep, that's what I got too. These calculators never cease to amaze me. :approve:

One way to come up with a solution for this type of problem is to simply to isolate an x on one side of the equation. Then make a guess, following guesses are made by simply recomputing using the most recent result.

for example in this problem you can write

[tex] x = \frac { e^x -x^3+x^2} 2 [/tex]

With a starting guess of 1 the following sequence is generated

Trouble is this particular formulation will not generate the second point. It is required that the slope of the function be less then 1 in the region of the solution.

if you recast as

[tex] x= ln (x^3 -x^2 +2) [/tex]

You get a fixed point at the second solution but is much slower in converging.

This process is know as a Fixed point solution. A web search may well provide more details.

1. What is the equation and what are the variables?

The equation and variables can vary depending on the specific problem. It is important to clearly define the equation and identify all variables before attempting to solve it.

2. Is there a specific method or formula for solving this equation?

There are many different methods and formulas for solving equations, depending on the type of equation and the variables involved. Some common methods include substitution, elimination, and graphing.

3. Can this equation be solved without using a calculator or computer?

It depends on the complexity of the equation and the level of precision required. Some equations can be solved by hand using basic algebraic skills, while others may require a calculator or computer to accurately solve.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can plug it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to visually confirm the solution.

5. What should I do if I am having trouble solving this equation?

If you are having trouble solving the equation, it is important to review the steps and methods used. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or online resources for additional guidance and practice.