IR Distance Sensor: Will this receiver work?

In summary, the concept of the ambient light ignoring infrared active distance sensor is a transmitter with an infrared LED which uses a traditional LM555 timer to oscillate a frequency of 5kHz and a modified receiver which consists of a common emitter setup, NPN phototransistor and a filter. The receiver circuit is designed to allow all the voltages to pass through, in order to constantly monitor the voltage which would depend on the distance the infrared light travels from the transmitter.
CognitiveNet
I've developed a new concept called "Ambient Light Ignoring Infrared Active Distance Sensor". It consists of a transmitter with an infrared LED which uses a traditional LM555 timer to oscillate a frequency of 5kHz and a modified receiver which consists of a common emitter setup, NPN phototransistor and a filter.

What I've done with the receiver is to replace the RLC circuit with an Inverting Band Pass Filter circuit and removed a significant part of what once was a receiver for a motion detector. Originally the circuit was designed to only allow negative voltages to pass through the first operational amplifier in the receiver circuit, store the voltage in the C4 capacitor (as far as I'm concerned) and output a signal that sounds an alarm, when the voltage overcomes the threshold voltage (as far as I'm concerned). The new design is designed to allow all the voltages to pass through, in order to constantly monitor the voltage which would depend on the distance the infrared light travels from the transmitter.

(The 1N4148 diode's purpose is to make sure that the current only goes one direction, to i.e. prevent damage in the circuit).

So my question to you is following:
1) Will the voltage pass through the receiver circuit to output despite that I removed;
a) The operation amplifier of 50K which sets the threshold
b) The operational amplifier IC2B
c) The capacitor C2 which stores the negative voltage
d) The 22K resistor

2) Would the following apply also for my circuit despite the changes:
The voltage output would vary with the distance between the infrared LED/NPN phototransistor.

3) Do you agree that the difference between the motion detector and my distance sensor is that, I'm allowing all voltages to pass through instead of outputting a signal only if the voltage is high enough?

I've published all of the required information needed to answer my question on the following website:
http://cognitivenetwork.yolasite.com/
Note: The pictures are on the right, and the drawing bellow is of the original motion detector.

BE student in Mechatronical Engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Vahid 1818
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you still want help on this? Since the old link is broken, can you post a new link or Upload the schematic? Thanks.

1. How does an IR distance sensor work?

An IR distance sensor works by emitting infrared light and then measuring the time it takes for the light to bounce off an object and return to the sensor. This time measurement is then used to calculate the distance between the sensor and the object.

2. Can I use any IR receiver with this sensor?

It depends on the specific sensor and receiver. Some IR sensors are designed to work with specific receivers, while others may be compatible with a range of receivers. It is important to check the specifications of both the sensor and receiver to ensure compatibility.

3. What is the range of this IR distance sensor?

The range of an IR distance sensor can vary depending on the model and manufacturer. However, most IR sensors have a range of several centimeters to a few meters. It is important to check the specifications of the sensor to determine its specific range.

4. How accurate is this IR distance sensor?

The accuracy of an IR distance sensor can also vary depending on the model and manufacturer. Generally, the accuracy of an IR sensor is affected by factors such as ambient light, reflectivity of the object being measured, and the distance between the sensor and object. It is important to calibrate the sensor and consider these factors when using it for accurate measurements.

5. Can I use an IR distance sensor outdoors?

Most IR sensors are designed for indoor use and may not work as effectively outdoors. Outdoor environments can introduce interference from sunlight and other sources of infrared light, which can affect the accuracy and reliability of the sensor. If you need to use an IR distance sensor outdoors, it is important to choose a model that is specifically designed for outdoor use.