What is the name for a curve similar to a blackbody radiation curve?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who plotted some data and noticed that the curve resembled a blackbody radiation curve. They inquire if there is a more general name for this type of curve, and one suggestion is a Planckian distribution. However, the person is not sure if it is a true Planckian distribution or just a bell curve or 1/x^4 curve. The person also mentions that the curve has nothing to do with Planck's constant and is just similar in appearance to blackbody radiation curves. They hope there is a more general name for this type of curve, but it seems there is not. They also provide a link to the plot for reference.
DaleSwanson
I was plotting some data and got a curve that was instantly recognizable as a blackbody radiation curve. The data has nothing to do with blackbody radiation though, and I was wondering if there was a more general name for this type of curve?

To be clear, I mean a curve like these:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/bbrc.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Planck curve, perhaps?

Are you sure it's a true Planckian distribution, and not just a bell curve or a 1/x^4?

Nabeshin said:
Planck curve, perhaps?

Are you sure it's a true Planckian distribution, and not just a bell curve or a 1/x^4?

I don't know what a Planckian distribution is, but it has nothing to do with Planck's constant. Just happened to look similar to blackbody radiation curves, with the non symmetry and long tail. Just kind of figured there was a more general name for that kind of curve, but guess not. Thanks for your help.

Here's the plot, which I guess I should have attached in the first place:
http://www.daleswanson.org/blog/model.htm

Last edited:

1. What is a blackbody curve?

A blackbody curve is a graphical representation of how a perfect blackbody would emit radiation at different wavelengths. It shows the relationship between the intensity of emitted radiation and the wavelength of light.

2. Why is it called a "blackbody" curve?

The term "blackbody" refers to an idealized object that perfectly absorbs and emits all radiation that falls onto it. It does not reflect or transmit any radiation, hence the name "black" body.

3. How is a blackbody curve calculated?

A blackbody curve is calculated using Planck's law, which describes the relationship between the intensity of radiation emitted by a blackbody and its temperature. The curve is also affected by the material properties of the object, such as its emissivity and absorptivity.

4. What is the significance of a blackbody curve?

Blackbody curves are important in understanding the behavior of radiation and the properties of different materials. They can also be used to determine the temperature of an object or to identify the composition of a material based on the wavelengths of radiation it emits.

5. How does a blackbody curve relate to the concept of thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a material due to its temperature. The blackbody curve represents the theoretical maximum amount of radiation that can be emitted by a material at a given temperature, making it a useful tool in studying thermal radiation.