Why did the salt solution evaporate and leave deposits on the beaker?

• Thread starter nellocin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt
In summary, the speaker was experimenting with a saturated solution of table salt and left it overnight in a fume hood. The next morning, they found salt deposits on the beaker above the initial height of the solution, which was surprising. The speaker expected the water to evaporate and leave the salt at the bottom, but the observation did not match their understanding of evaporation. The other person suggests that the solution becomes saturated on the surface first and crystals form there, wicking the solution up and leaving salt behind.
nellocin
I was messing around with a saturated solution of table salt, when I forgot about it and left it in a fume hood over night. When I came in the next morning the solution had evaporated away, but what surprised me was that there were salt deposits left on the beaker above the initial height of the solution. In fact this is where most of the salt ended up, including some creeping over the top of the beaker. How do I understand this observation?

My expectation was that the water would evaporate molecule by molecule, leaving the salt in the bottom of the beaker. However if the solution evaporated drop by drop, then some drops might hit the side of the beaker on their way out where it could condense leaving salt behind - but this doesn't make sense with the way I understand evaporation.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing unusual. Solution becomes saturated first on the surface. First crystals form out of the saturated solution in the place where it is in contact with a solid. Then these crystals wick the solution up.

1. How does salt solution evaporate?

Salt solution evaporates when the liquid water in the solution is exposed to air and the water molecules escape into the atmosphere, leaving behind the solid salt crystals.

2. Why does salt solution evaporate?

Salt solution evaporates due to the process of evaporation, where the liquid molecules gain enough energy to break free from the surface and become gas molecules in the air.

3. What factors affect the rate of evaporation in a salt solution?

The rate of evaporation in a salt solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, air flow, surface area, and concentration of the solution. Higher temperatures, increased air flow, larger surface area, and higher concentration can all lead to a faster rate of evaporation.

4. What happens to the salt in a salt solution when it evaporates?

When a salt solution evaporates, the water molecules escape into the atmosphere, leaving behind solid salt crystals. The salt concentration in the remaining solution will become more concentrated as more water evaporates.

5. Can salt solution evaporate completely?

No, salt solution cannot evaporate completely. As the water evaporates, the salt concentration in the remaining solution increases, making it more difficult for the water molecules to escape. Eventually, the solution will become saturated and no more water can evaporate.