Introductory rotational dynamics/energy conservation question

In summary: The radial force is normal to the surface.In summary, the problem involves a potter's wheel with a given radius and moment of inertia, rotating at a certain speed. The potter wants to stop the wheel by pressing a wet rag against the rim with a given force. The goal is to find the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and the wet rag. The solution involves using kinematics and energy conservation to determine the stopping torque and then relating it to the tangential and radial forces and the coefficient of friction. The radial force does not play a role in exerting a torque.
kinslow31

Homework Statement

Hey guy's I am kind of struggling with this i would appreciate any help

A potter's wheel having a radius 0.49 m and a moment of inertia of 12.1 kg · m2 is rotating freely at 52 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 6.0 s by pressing a wet rag against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 74 N. Find the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and the wet rag.

Homework Equations

kinematics
Wnc = ΔRotational Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok here so i started this one trying to do an energy conservation 74Δx(or θ) + uknΔx = (1/2)iω^2

To represent the non conservative forces on one side and the change in rotational kinetic energy on the other, Δx being the stopping distance that can be obtained from kinematics

then i figured there might be a radial component instead of a torque

ƩFr = n + 74 = v^2/r*m

so the radial component gives u an n i can sub back in the conservation equation and it points in the same direction, is this anywhere near right or should i be representing the forces over a torque

Physics news on Phys.org
You can figure out what the stopping torque was using the info given.

You can figure out what kind of *tangential* force would have to act to provide this torque.

The coeff of friction relates this tangential force to the radial force (which is normal to the surface).

What force is exerting the torque on the wheel?

so i guess i would be assuming acceleration is constant get it from α then
(.49)74-.49(Ffric)=Iα
are the radial force and the friction both part of the x dimension? they just get separate equations so
-ukn = ma and n = (v^2)/(r)*m-74

kinslow31 said:
so i guess i would be assuming acceleration is constant get it from α then
(.49)74-.49(Ffric)=Iα
Only the tangential force exerts a torque.

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion is when an object moves in a straight line, while rotational motion is when an object is spinning or rotating around a fixed axis.

3. What is torque and how does it relate to rotational dynamics?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In rotational dynamics, torque is used to describe how a force is applied to an object to make it rotate.

4. How does energy conservation apply to rotational dynamics?

In rotational dynamics, energy conservation refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a rotating object will remain constant unless an external force is applied.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational dynamics?

Some real-life examples of rotational dynamics include the motion of a spinning top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the movement of a Ferris wheel. Other examples include the rotation of the Earth around its axis and the movement of planets around the sun.