Energy waves from impact in a solid

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the energy transfer in a solid object from a wave source using sensors. The relationships involved include conservation of energy, double integration of the wave's full circle, and the use of a piezoelectric sensor. The question at hand is whether the energy of a wave at a specific point and distance from the source is proportional to the integral of the voltage squared over time, multiplied by the distance. Further clarification on the setup and type of waves being measured is needed to answer this question accurately.
boltcrank
So I'm supposing a scenario where you have energy transfer into a solid and waves propagating out from the impact point and i want to measure the energy at different distances from the "epicenter" with sensors.

the relationships I've been pointed to are basically conservation of energy at the different distances and something along the lines of the double integral of the full circle of the wave and of the distance from the epicenter multiplied by things like wave strength and thickness, which can then be converted to an integral of wave speed over time.

then I've also been pointed out that with a piezoelectric sensor, that can further be converted to a measure of voltage squared integrated over time multiplied by a series of things, but then the distance from the wave source is pulled out as a constant.

my question involves this supposition then that the energy of a wave at a specific point and distance from the wave source will be proportional to the integral of the voltage squared over time, MULTIPLIED by the distance.

Is this indeed a valid relationship? so would it be correct to say that there is a distance and voltage where a sensor further away from a source than another might regardless measure a larger energy? what kind of relationship is this? because apparently its not the linear one i thought it would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
First question is

Is this solid as in (a) solid ground or (b) a vibrating solid object such as a musical triangle or cymbals?

For (a) you need to look up seismic geophysical methods

and for (b) you need to look up mechanical vibarations and resonant excitation

i suppose it would be a mechanical vibration in a solid object like a block of wood or steel

i suppose it would be a mechanical vibration in a solid object like a block of wood or steel

Go on?

You really do need to describe your setup much more fully to get an answer.

Sensors can be velocity sensitive or acceleration sensitive.

Look here to learn about sensors

http://www.wilcoxon.com/knowdesk/TN16_Sensor%20Selection%20Guide.pdf

The entire solid object can be vibrating as a whole like my triangle example or a guitar string.

Or the waves can be like seismic waves in the Earth which only move a small part of the body at a time a they travel through it.
I think you mean this type but you need to confirm it.

Once you have confirmed that you need to specify the position and orientation of the transducer as the waves can be transverse ( up and down ) or longitudinal (side to side - backwards and forwards). These waves have different characteristics when they travel through large solid objects.

Or they may be composite surface waves which are different again.

Last edited by a moderator:
the relationship i saw was for piezoelectric sensors with some capacitance that measure a voltage depending on the deformation of the sensor. if squeezed, a positive voltage, if squeezed harder ,a more positive voltage, if stretched, a negative voltage, etc

i imagine this would an assortment of seismic waves traveling thru the body. let's simplify it and say its an infinitely long plane of iron with finite thickness in a perfectly inelastic collision with a body significantly less massive then the infinite plane and a line of sensors at regular intervals from the site of the collision.

What are energy waves from impact in a solid?

Energy waves from impact in a solid refer to the transfer of energy through a solid material due to an external force or impact. This phenomenon can occur in various forms such as sound waves, seismic waves, and mechanical waves.

How are energy waves from impact in a solid measured?

Energy waves from impact in a solid can be measured using various instruments and techniques such as seismographs, accelerometers, and laser vibrometers. These tools can track the amplitude, frequency, and other characteristics of the waves to determine the energy being transferred.

What factors can affect the propagation of energy waves from impact in a solid?

The propagation of energy waves from impact in a solid can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, the intensity and direction of the impact, the temperature and pressure of the material, and the presence of any external or internal forces.

How do energy waves from impact in a solid impact our daily lives?

Energy waves from impact in a solid play a crucial role in our daily lives. For example, seismic waves can help us understand and predict earthquakes, while sound waves allow us to communicate and perceive our surroundings. These waves also have practical applications such as in medical imaging, non-destructive testing, and material characterization.

What are some ongoing research and developments in the study of energy waves from impact in a solid?

Scientists and researchers are continuously exploring and developing new ways to study and utilize energy waves from impact in a solid. Some of the current research areas include advanced imaging techniques, improving the accuracy of wave propagation models, and developing new materials that can withstand high-intensity impacts without significant damage.