Penrose zigzag model of Higgs-electron interaction

In summary, Roger Penrose describes a "zigzag" model of the electron in which it consists of a pair of massless components with left-handed and right-handed spin. This can be explained by the Dirac equation, which can be written as a pair of equations describing the continuous transformation between the two components. The strength of the coupling between these equations is dependent on the electron's mass. The electron's rest mass is provided by the energy in its vibrating motion. Penrose suggests that the Higgs field plays a role in this conversion of the electron's components, and that it explains the origin of the particle's rest mass. However, Penrose also notes that inertia may have a different cause, as outlined in Dennis Sciama's work
johne1618
Roger Penrose in Chapter 25 of his book The Road to Reality describes a "zigzag" model of the electron that consists of a pair of massless components one with a left-handed spin (the zig) and the other with a right-handed spin (the zag).

He says that the Dirac equation can be written as a pair of equations which describe each component being continually transformed into the other. The strength of the coupling between these equations depends on the electron mass.

Thus the electron is continually jittering between a massless zig and a zag particle. The energy in this vibrating motion provides the electron with its rest mass. (This is Penrose's explanation of the well-known electron "zitterbewegung")

Penrose then goes on to say that one can think of the Higgs field as taking over the role of the electron mass. One imagines that it is the continual interaction with the Higgs field that causes the electron zig to be converted to the electron zag and vice-versa. Again it is the energy in this vibrating motion that gives rise to the electron's rest mass.

I think this picture is better than the particle-in-molasses picture that one often hears. In my view the Higgs interaction explains the origin of the rest mass/energy of a particle (and therefore its gravitational mass) but not its inertia defined as its resistance to being accelerated. I think inertia might have a "Machian" gravitational cause as outlined in Dennis Sciama's "On the origin of inertia":
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1953MNRAS.113...34S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "zig" and "zag" fields are apparently Penrose's terminology for the right- and left-handed components of the electron.
I think this picture is better than the particle-in-molasses picture that one often hears
Anything would be better than the Higgs-as-molasses picture.
I think inertia might have a "Machian" gravitational cause as outlined in Dennis Sciama's "On the origin of inertia":
A pre-Einsteinian idea, intuitive but primitive, and long ago shown to be false.

Bill_K said:
The "zig" and "zag" fields are apparently Penrose's terminology for the right- and left-handed components of the electron.
Are these right- left-handed components the same as the two components of the spinor?

Any Dirac spinor can be decomposed into right- and left-handed parts ψR and ψL using the chirality operators PR = (1 + γ5)/2 and PL = (1 - γ5)/2. For a massless particle, PR and PL commute with H and chirality is a good quantum number. But for a particle with mass, the mass term m(ψLψR + ψRψL) couples them together. The same holds true whether m is put in by hand or generated by the Higgs field.

Likes Spinnor
Ah, thanks. But what is γ5? I thought there were four gamma matrices? :confused:

Dead Boss said:
Ah, thanks. But what is γ5? I thought there were four gamma matrices? :confused:

γ5 is short for iγ0γ1γ2γ3 :wink:

Dead Boss said:
Are these right- left-handed components the same as the two components of the spinor?

Penrose works with Pauli 2-spinors rather than the more usual Dirac 4-spinors.

As I understand it a 2-spinor directly represents a spinning particle whereas the Dirac 4-spinor decribes a state with both spin and positive and negative energy components that can't be so easily visualised as a particle.

Last edited:
Penrose works with Pauli 2-spinors rather than the more usual Dirac 4-spinors.
As I understand it a 2-spinor directly represents a spinning particle whereas the Dirac 4-spinor decribes a state with both spin and positive and negative energy components that can't be so easily visualised as a particle.
johne1618, Did Penrose say that, or is that your own interpretation? The massless Dirac equation decouples into two equations for two 2-component spinors. Although the equations contain the Pauli matrices, the spinors themselves are Weyl spinors. Also the solutions for each equation include both a positive energy solution and a negative energy solution.

Bill_K said:
johne1618, Did Penrose say that, or is that your own interpretation? The massless Dirac equation decouples into two equations for two 2-component spinors. Although the equations contain the Pauli matrices, the spinors themselves are Weyl spinors. Also the solutions for each equation include both a positive energy solution and a negative energy solution.

Sorry you're right this is largely my interpretation drawing from what Penrose writes in Chapter 24 and 25 of his book - I don't understand the mathematical details myself.

However Penrose definitely does imply that his zigzag particle picture is more directly suggested by a superposition of Weyl 2-spinors rather than the more usual 4-spinor description using the Weyl or chiral basis.

Last edited:

1. What is the Penrose zigzag model of Higgs-electron interaction?

The Penrose zigzag model of Higgs-electron interaction is a theoretical model that explains the interaction between the Higgs boson and the electron. It was proposed by physicist Sir Roger Penrose in the 1960s and is based on the concept of spontaneous symmetry breaking.

2. How does the Penrose zigzag model explain the interaction between the Higgs boson and the electron?

The Penrose zigzag model suggests that the electron is able to interact with the Higgs boson through a series of zigzag paths in space-time. These paths are created by the Higgs field, which gives particles mass through the Higgs mechanism. The model also proposes that the electron's mass is not a fundamental property, but rather a result of its interaction with the Higgs field.

3. What is the significance of the Penrose zigzag model in particle physics?

The Penrose zigzag model is significant because it provides a possible explanation for the origin of mass in particles through the Higgs mechanism. It also helps to bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity by incorporating both concepts into its framework.

4. Has the Penrose zigzag model been proven experimentally?

No, the Penrose zigzag model has not been proven experimentally. While the Higgs boson was discovered in 2012, further research is needed to fully understand its interaction with the electron and other particles. However, the model has gained recognition and is being studied by many physicists as a potential explanation for the Higgs-electron interaction.

5. Are there any criticisms or alternative theories to the Penrose zigzag model?

Some physicists have raised concerns about the complexity of the Penrose zigzag model and its lack of experimental evidence. Other theories, such as supersymmetry, also propose explanations for the Higgs-electron interaction. However, the Penrose zigzag model remains a prominent theory in the scientific community and continues to be studied and refined.