Abstract Algebra vs Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between a proof-based Linear Algebra course and an Abstract Algebra course, as well as the prerequisites and similarities between the two. The speaker is considering taking Abstract Algebra before Linear Algebra and plans to talk to a professor for advice. They also mentioned the topics covered in each course and the importance of mathematical maturity for success in proof-based courses.
Klungo
Hey guys,

As of now, I am in a sets and logic proof based course (Intro to proof-writing). This course basically teaches logic, how to write proofs using examples of algebraic equations, sets: power sets, unions and intersections of classes, etc.

With a C in this course, you can register for proof-based Linear Algebra 1.
With a B, you can register for Abstract Algebra 1.

Unfortunately, Linear Algebra is full so it's current place holder is Abstract Algebra of which I'm already registered for.

Eventually, I'm going to take both but usually students go into Linear Algebra first. I have about 94-97% in my intro to proof course and I'm pretty sure I'll end up with an A but I have to admit that I often run into a problem 10% of the time that I either don't know if I did it right or not at all.

I personally don't know what the differences between the two classes really are or what either expect of me but I can prepare. Since the classes start in about 20 days, I still have plently of time to look into the texts and/or make a choice. If Linear Algebra becamess available or some other course: Complex Functions or Number Theory become available, I'll consider taking the one based on my priorities.

What are you're opinions/advice?

UPDATE:
Linear Algebra: Linear equations, matrices, vector spaces, linear transformations, determinants, eigenvalues and inner-product spaces

Abstract Algebra: Sets and mappings, groups and subgroups, homomorphisms and isomorphisms, permutations, rings and domains, arithmetic properties of domains, and fields.

How much in depth for each topic in Algebra I don't know. Is any linear algebra required for any of them? (For those who took the course/topics).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, at my school Linear is actually a prerequisite for Abstract, just because of the so-called "mathematical maturity" that you need to study it.

But, the fact that your school will allow you to actually take that course before Linear probably means that it wouldn't be a problem for you. You did specify that it is part 1, so I imagine that it is structured to be more of an intro (I go to a Liberal Arts university with no math grad program, so all we have is one, intensive Abstract Algebra class).

I'd recommend asking the professor if they think it would be a good idea or if you should wait, but I do think that if your department has that policy then it means that you'd be fine.

Hmm, I'm guessing the next responses will be more precise if I include the course descriptions.

Linear Algebra: Linear equations, matrices, vector spaces, linear transformations, determinants, eigenvalues and inner-product spaces

Abstract Algebra: Sets and mappings, groups and subgroups, homomorphisms and isomorphisms, permutations, rings and domains, arithmetic properties of domains, and fields.

How much in depth for each topic in Algebra I don't know. Is any linear algebra required for any of them? (For those who took the course/topics).

@Worm I'll email the professor about it tonight.

Linear isn't an absolute prerequisite for Abstract, but that is the usual order in which they are encountered. LA is a standard class that every physics and math major should do so it is offered early in the standard sequence.

As WormBanshee mentioned, the jump in mathematical maturity to a proof-based LA course is hard for many students. Also, LA provides many clear examples of structures that you encounter in Abstract Algebra. However, if the Abstract course is structured well and you are comfortable with the proofs, seeing it first and then doing LA could be an interesting way to do it. You will have much more insight behind the scenes than someone who is going straight into LA.

Your plan to talk to a professor who is familiar with the courses is good. Sometimes just because you can do something without a prerequisite doesn't mean you should.

Last edited:
There's a good bit of overlap, but I successfully took Abstract before Linear at my University... Talking to the prof is a good idea, and I had good access to my Abstract prof during the semester (although I did not utilize that time). I had already taken a good proof course, which was more helpful than I think Linear would have been. Good luck.

What is the difference between Abstract Algebra and Linear Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the properties and operations of these structures and their relationships. On the other hand, Linear Algebra is a subfield of Abstract Algebra that specifically deals with vector spaces and linear transformations.

What are the applications of Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, chemistry, economics, and cryptography. It is used to solve complex problems and model real-world situations that involve algebraic structures.

How is Linear Algebra used in machine learning?

Linear Algebra is essential in machine learning as it provides the mathematical foundation for many algorithms and techniques used for data analysis, pattern recognition, and prediction. It is used to represent data, perform operations on data, and optimize models in machine learning.

What are the main topics covered in Abstract Algebra and Linear Algebra?

Some of the main topics covered in Abstract Algebra include group theory, ring theory, field theory, and Galois theory. In Linear Algebra, the main topics include vector spaces, matrices, determinants, linear transformations, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

Is knowledge of Abstract Algebra necessary for studying Linear Algebra?

While knowledge of Abstract Algebra is not a prerequisite for studying Linear Algebra, it can be beneficial. Many concepts in Linear Algebra, such as vector spaces and linear transformations, are built upon the foundations of Abstract Algebra. However, it is possible to study Linear Algebra without prior knowledge of Abstract Algebra.