Is a Second Bachelor's in Physics Worth Pursuing for a Career in Cosmology?

In summary, the individual started off as a Chemical Engineering major in college but changed majors multiple times due to not enjoying the courses and having negative experiences with professors. They are now graduating with a BA in a field unrelated to their interests and have realized the mistake of choosing the shortest degree track. They have self-studied basic astrophysics and are interested in pursuing advanced study in the future. They are considering either continuing self-study and taking the subject GRE or getting a second bachelor's degree. They are also interested in cosmology and are seeking recommendations for texts on general physics, particle physics, and cosmology. A suggestion is given to get a physics degree instead of an astronomy degree if interested in astrophysics and to check out Dover
jcmacdon
Hello All:

So here is my story/situation. I started out college as a Chemical Engineering major. I made it through my first year well enough (~3.3 GPA), but I found I didn't enjoy the chemistry courses, or what I would be able to do with my degree. I also had a couple of thoroughly terrible professors that drove me away from engineering/mathematical sciences. For a lot of reasons I changed majors (multiple times) and eventually transferred universities. At my new university I chose the degree track (a BA) that would allow me to graduate in the shortest amount of time. Now, I will graduate this May, and I have come to realize the folly of that choice. I'm bored out of my skull, and have crap for employment prospects despite 2 semesters of paid research experience.

I have taken two calculus courses, two chemistry courses, and an algebra based physics designed for science and engineering majors. Recently, to abate my boredom, I have begun to teach myself basic astrophysics, and have gotten hooked. For a long time now I have been drawn to academia, so I would want to pursue advanced study down the line.

So then, questions:
In your opinion would it be better to continue my self-study in all things physics and take the subject GRE, or to suck it up and pay for a second degree (my first is totally unrelated)?

I'm really interested in cosmology, if I get a second bachelors should I pursue a degree from a math department, a physics department, or an astronomy department (keeping in mind that future advanced study is my goal)?

Do any of you have recommendations for texts suited to self-study in general physics/particle physics (everything I've seen says you need to understand the small stuff to understand the large stuff)/cosmology?

Thanks,
Caleb

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would have some explaining to do to grad programs if you have a liberal arts degree and only two semesters of calculus under your belt, because it doesn't sound like you would be at all prepared for grad research in science. Most of the programs I look into have requirements saying a "bachelor's in physics, a related field or equivalent work experience [sometimes!]". With only one semester of algebra-based physics, it would take a massive amount of time to self-study for the GRE subject test, and it probably wouldn't be at the depth you would want if you eventually become a physicist. If you really want to pursue physics, I think your best bet would be to get a second bachelor's (which would probably take about 2 years if funding isn't an issue and you start at calc III).

As for what to actually study, if you want to do astrophysics, get a physics degree, NOT an astronomy degree. You pigeon-hole yourself and your abilities far too much if you focus on astronomy at the undergrad level (and possibly even at the grad level). Get a physics degree and lean toward astrophysics topics for research.

As for books... Dover is awesome. And cheap, I would say poke around their selection on Amazon. :p

1. What is a "Second Bachelors" degree in Physics?

A "Second Bachelors" degree in Physics is a second undergraduate degree that a student can pursue after already obtaining a Bachelor's degree in a different field. This allows individuals to gain a deeper understanding and knowledge of physics without having to start from scratch in their education.

2. Who is eligible to pursue a Second Bachelors in Physics?

Generally, anyone who has already obtained a Bachelor's degree in a different field is eligible to pursue a Second Bachelors in Physics. However, some universities may have specific requirements or prerequisites that must be met before being accepted into the program.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a Second Bachelors in Physics?

Pursuing a Second Bachelors in Physics can provide individuals with a strong foundation in physics and prepare them for a career in fields such as research, engineering, or teaching. It can also open up new opportunities for graduate studies in physics or related fields.

4. How long does it take to complete a Second Bachelors in Physics?

The length of time it takes to complete a Second Bachelors in Physics can vary depending on the individual's previous coursework and the specific program they are enrolled in. Typically, it can take 2-3 years to complete the required coursework.

5. Can I apply credits from my previous degree towards a Second Bachelors in Physics?

Yes, many universities allow students to transfer credits from their previous degree towards a Second Bachelors in Physics. However, the amount of transfer credits accepted may vary depending on the institution and the courses taken.