I found out new proof of Pythagorean theorem , how can I publish it ?

In summary, a new proof for the Pythagorean theorem has been found. The proof is similar to one found by Professor Michail Hardy in 1998, but the main idea of the proof is different. However, the proof might not be interesting enough for a professional journal.
micromass said:
Sorry for hijacking your thread here anyway :redface:

I didn't understand what you really want to say !

how can you Hijack my thread ?! is it a puzzle ?

explain please ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
Original poster, or original post according to context.

thank you , you made it obviousto me :)

Maths Lover said:
I didn't understand what you really want to say !

how can you Hijack my thread ?! is it a puzzle ?

explain please ?!

Hijacking a thread is when you start a pedantic argument about something useless that is not really what the OP wants to talk about.

@Micromass

so , any new proof for any theorem will be treated with the same way ?

or some theorems is diffrent from others ?

what about main theorms in calculus ?

micromass said:
Hijacking a thread is when you start a pedantic argument about something useless that is not really what the OP wants to talk about.

ok :)

it's not a problem , I think that your speech wasn't " pedantic argument " , but it made somethings obvious

thank you :)

Maths Lover said:
@micromass

so , any new proof for any theorem will be treated with the same way ?

or some theorems is diffrent from others ?

what about main theorms in calculus ?

No, I wouldn't say that they will all be treated the same way. I guess it depends on the proof itself. If the proof is really novel and provides some kind of idea that can be generalized, then it might be interesting to professionals. Or when the proof illustrates some kind of abstract theory.

A famous example is the insolvability of the quintic. This was originally proven by Abel and Ruffini. But later, Galois proved it using the methods of (what is now called) Galois theory. From a certain point of view, the theorem was already proven. But the proof Galois gave is very intricate and beautiful. Furthermore, it gives exactly a criterium of when a polynomial can be solved or not. And the same method can be generalized to other settings as well (such as integration theory). Finally, Galois theory is one of the most elegant mathematics known to man! Despite Galois theory not really proving anything novel, it is still one of the most important theories in mathematics out there.

If you are interested in Abel's theorem, then I highly recommend the following book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1402021860/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It is suitable for high school students who are interested in higher level math. It introduces elegant theories such as groups and Riemann surfaces and it culminates with Abel's theorem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that the original proof of the Riesz Representation theorem was 300 pages long. I don't know if it's true.

micromass said:
No, I wouldn't say that they will all be treated the same way. I guess it depends on the proof itself. If the proof is really novel and provides some kind of idea that can be generalized, then it might be interesting to professionals. Or when the proof illustrates some kind of abstract theory.

A famous example is the insolvability of the quintic. This was originally proven by Abel and Ruffini. But later, Galois proved it using the methods of (what is now called) Galois theory. From a certain point of view, the theorem was already proven. But the proof Galois gave is very intricate and beautiful. Furthermore, it gives exactly a criterium of when a polynomial can be solved or not. And the same method can be generalized to other settings as well (such as integration theory). Finally, Galois theory is one of the most elegant mathematics known to man! Despite Galois theory not really proving anything novel, it is still one of the most important theories in mathematics out there.

If you are interested in Abel's theorem, then I highly recommend the following book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1402021860/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It is suitable for high school students who are interested in higher level math. It introduces elegant theories such as groups and Riemann surfaces and it culminates with Abel's theorem.

I heared about Galois theory for 2 years .
as you know " I think that you know " that I study Abstract Algebra nowdays from Dummit and foote , and Galois theory is the topic of 14th chapter , and I'm very excited to reach this chapter but I still in the second one ,

:))

Maths Lover said:
I heared about Galois theory for 2 years .
as you know " I think that you know " that I study Abstract Algebra nowdays from Dummit and foote , and Galois theory is the topic of 14th chapter , and I'm very excited to reach this chapter but I still in the second one ,

:))

Ah, yes, I should have remembered! But yes, Galois theory is very exciting. I just hope Dummit and Foote cover it the right way and don't try to obfusciate things. A lot of textbooks on Galois theory seem to have this problem.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I was told that the original proof of the Riesz Representation theorem was 300 pages long. I don't know if it's true.

300 pages ! that's great ! and very comblicated too !

I know the fermat last theorems needed 100 page from prof wiles to be written !

the funny thing that I tried to find new proof to this Big theorem ! of course I failed " until now at least ! "

micromass said:
Ah, yes, I should have remembered! But yes, Galois theory is very exciting. I just hope Dummit and Foote cover it the right way and don't try to obfusciate things. A lot of textbooks on Galois theory seem to have this problem.

I hope the same :)

if he did , does artin cover it well ? or he obfuscated it ! ?

micromass said:
I don't really remember his treatment well. But I really like Artin, so I guess he did a good job.

If you're looking for beautiful treatments of Galois theory, then the following books are exellent:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486623424/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (this is not the same Artin as the one who wrote the algebra book)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1402021860/?tag=pfamazon01-20

that's great :)
but as you know , I have to study Group theory and Field theory first :)
I think that it's not easy job , is it ?

Hey Maths lover, just out of curiosity what is your native language?

I don't know where websites are getting the figure of 98 proofs as the current number. A geometry text I have preceeds one proof with the following introduction:

"There are hundreds of known proofs of the Pythagorean theorem. A complilation containing more than 350 proofs appears in The Pythagorean Proposition by Elisha Scott Loomis published by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics."

Googling that book, The Pythagorean Proposition, I find:

http://mathlair.allfunandgames.ca/pythprop.php

which states it has 370 proofs. And is also a difficult book to get hold of. The author of that site, MathLair, say he has reproduced portions of it there, since it's in the public domain.

Note also that, based on this book, Guiness Book of Records calls the Pythagorean Theorem the "most proved theorem".

The 98 comes from the second verse of the song 99 bottles of proof on the wall (or is that beer)...

Galteeth said:
Hey Maths lover, just out of curiosity what is your native language?

I'm Egyptian and My native Langauge is Arabic

<H2>What is the process for publishing new proof of Pythagorean theorem?</H2><p>The process for publishing new proof of Pythagorean theorem involves several steps. First, the scientist must write a paper outlining their proof and its significance. This paper should include a detailed explanation of the proof, any supporting evidence or data, and a discussion of its implications. Next, the scientist must submit their paper to a reputable peer-reviewed journal in the field of mathematics. The paper will then undergo a rigorous review process by other experts in the field, who will provide feedback and recommendations for improvement. If the paper is accepted, it will be published in the journal and made available to the scientific community.</p><H2>How long does it take to publish new proof of Pythagorean theorem?</H2><p>The time it takes to publish new proof of Pythagorean theorem can vary. It typically takes several months to write the paper and submit it to a journal. The review process can also take several months, depending on the complexity of the proof and the number of revisions required. Overall, the process can take anywhere from 6 months to a year or more.</p><H2>Can I publish my proof in any journal?</H2><p>No, it is important to choose a reputable peer-reviewed journal in the field of mathematics for publishing new proof of Pythagorean theorem. This ensures that the proof will undergo a thorough review process by experts in the field and will be recognized by the scientific community.</p><H2>What if my proof is rejected by the journal?</H2><p>If your proof is rejected by the journal, it is important to carefully consider the feedback and recommendations provided by the reviewers. You may need to make revisions or gather additional evidence to strengthen your proof before resubmitting it to another journal. It is also possible to appeal the decision or submit the proof to a different journal for consideration.</p><H2>Do I retain ownership of my proof after publishing it?</H2><p>Yes, as the creator of the proof, you retain ownership of your work even after it is published in a journal. However, other scientists may use or build upon your proof in their own research, as long as they properly cite your work. It is important to protect your intellectual property by copyrighting your proof and clearly stating the terms of use.</p>

What is the process for publishing new proof of Pythagorean theorem?

The process for publishing new proof of Pythagorean theorem involves several steps. First, the scientist must write a paper outlining their proof and its significance. This paper should include a detailed explanation of the proof, any supporting evidence or data, and a discussion of its implications. Next, the scientist must submit their paper to a reputable peer-reviewed journal in the field of mathematics. The paper will then undergo a rigorous review process by other experts in the field, who will provide feedback and recommendations for improvement. If the paper is accepted, it will be published in the journal and made available to the scientific community.

How long does it take to publish new proof of Pythagorean theorem?

The time it takes to publish new proof of Pythagorean theorem can vary. It typically takes several months to write the paper and submit it to a journal. The review process can also take several months, depending on the complexity of the proof and the number of revisions required. Overall, the process can take anywhere from 6 months to a year or more.

Can I publish my proof in any journal?

No, it is important to choose a reputable peer-reviewed journal in the field of mathematics for publishing new proof of Pythagorean theorem. This ensures that the proof will undergo a thorough review process by experts in the field and will be recognized by the scientific community.

What if my proof is rejected by the journal?

If your proof is rejected by the journal, it is important to carefully consider the feedback and recommendations provided by the reviewers. You may need to make revisions or gather additional evidence to strengthen your proof before resubmitting it to another journal. It is also possible to appeal the decision or submit the proof to a different journal for consideration.

Do I retain ownership of my proof after publishing it?

Yes, as the creator of the proof, you retain ownership of your work even after it is published in a journal. However, other scientists may use or build upon your proof in their own research, as long as they properly cite your work. It is important to protect your intellectual property by copyrighting your proof and clearly stating the terms of use.