What Is the Apparent Power in a Circuit with a Power Factor of 0.72?

In summary: I| = |S|/Vrms. Vrms is given. So you need to figure out the angle of S and then you can figure out |I| and then you can figure out |Z+R|.You are given the power factor, which is the cosine of the angle between V and I. So θ = arccos(PF). The current leads the voltage for capacitive loads and lags the voltage for inductive loads. So the angle between Z and R is the opposite. For a capacitive load, the current will lag the voltage. For an inductive load, the current will lead the voltage.Once you know |Z+R|, you
Angusbrooks
A circuit has a power factor 0.72 lagging and the power dissipated is 375w.

Determine:
(A) Apparent power

Relevant equations:
ohms law V = I x R
apparent power (S) = supply voltage (Vs) x Current (I)

Attempt:
Current =
Voltage
Resistance
120v
10Ω

= 12Amps

∴ Apparent power (S) = Supply voltage (Vs) x Current (I)
120V x 12 Amps

= 1440 VA

I have seen another equation where it states that true power is the power dissipated at 375W therefore my second attempt which I am very unsure of as I cannot locate the stated equation within my book:

altenative attempt
S (Apparent power) =
P (True power)
PF (power factor)

375W

= 520.83333

please help?

Attachments

• TMA 4 Q1.png
    TMA 4 Q1.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 643
Physics news on Phys.org
Angusbrooks said:
Current =
Voltage
Resistance
120v
10Ω
= 12Amps

The current is V/(Z+R) where Z is an unknown impedance.

altenative attempt
S (Apparent power) =
P (True power)
PF (power factor)

375W

= 520.83333

This is right. I take it the question is asking for the unknown impedance Z?

I think maybe a little review of what S is will help. Suppose a sinusoidal voltage V is applied to an impedance Z. Then a current I will flow that is also sinusoidal but at some phase offset. In the time domain the voltage is Vcos(wt) and the current is Icos(wt-θ) where θ could lead or lag depending on the load.

The instantaneous power is
P(t) = VI cos(wt)cos(wt-θ) = VI [cos2(wt)cos(θ) + sin(wt)cos(wt)sin(θ)]

The average power over a period is
Pav = (VI/T) ∫[cos2(wt)cos(θ) + sin(wt)cos(wt)sin(θ)]dt
= (VI)(w/(2∏)) ∫(1+cos(2wt))cos(θ)/2 dt
= (VI)(w/2∏)cos(θ)(1/2)(2∏/w)
= (VI/2)cos(θ)
= VrmsIrmscos(θ)

The complex power S is defined as
S = VI*
where * is complex conjugate and both V and I are rms voltages.

The complex conjugate on I is taken so that the angle of S will be the difference in phase between V and I, which is what is important in the average power calculation above. If you sketch S on the complex plane, its magnitude will be |VrmsIrms| and its angle will be θ, the angle between the V and I phasors. If you take the real part of S,

Re(S) = |S|cos(θ) = VrmsIrmscos(θ)

This is the average power consumed by the load. So S projected on the real axis in the complex plane is the real power. S projected on the imaginary axis is indicative of the power being stored and released in the reactive components (this can be seen from the instant power equation above); no average power is consumed by reactive components. Over a period, energy is consumed by the reactive components and then the same amount is released; this extra current must be absorbed and supplied by the source through the cycle.

In your problem you are given the real power of 375W. This is S projected on the real axis. So the magnitude of S is 375/cos(θ) = 520.8VA as you found.

Since you now know |S|=|VrmsIrms| and you know Vrms, you also know |Irms|. Given V, |I| and information on the angle between V and I, you should be able to determine the total impedance seen by the source.

Last edited:

1. What is apparent power and why is it important to calculate?

Apparent power is the combination of real power (measured in watts) and reactive power (measured in volt-amperes reactive or VARs) in an AC electrical circuit. It represents the total power being consumed by the circuit. It is important to calculate because it helps engineers and electricians determine the capacity and efficiency of an electrical system, which can impact the performance and safety of devices and equipment connected to the circuit.

2. How is apparent power calculated?

Apparent power is calculated by multiplying the voltage (measured in volts) by the current (measured in amps). The resulting unit is volt-amperes (VA). In a circuit with a purely resistive load, the apparent power is equal to the real power. However, in a circuit with reactive components, the apparent power will be higher than the real power due to the presence of reactive power.

3. What is the difference between apparent power and real power?

Real power is the actual power being consumed by a circuit and is measured in watts. It represents the power that is converted into useful work, such as lighting, heating, or mechanical energy. Apparent power, on the other hand, is the combination of real power and reactive power. Reactive power is the power that is used to maintain the electric and magnetic fields in a circuit and is measured in VARs. It does not contribute to the useful work and is often considered wasted power.

4. How does apparent power affect power factor?

Power factor is a measure of how efficiently a circuit uses electricity. It is the ratio of real power to apparent power. A low power factor means that the circuit is using more reactive power, which can lead to higher energy costs and equipment overheating. By accurately calculating apparent power, engineers and electricians can determine the power factor and take steps to improve it, such as adding power factor correction devices.

5. What are some common mistakes when calculating apparent power?

One common mistake is forgetting to consider the presence of reactive power in AC circuits with inductive or capacitive loads. Another mistake is using the wrong units when calculating apparent power. It is important to use consistent units of measurement, such as volts and amps, to ensure accurate results. Additionally, not taking into account the power factor can also lead to errors in apparent power calculation. It is important to consider all factors and equations when calculating apparent power to avoid mistakes.