Eye of the storm at Saturn's north pole

In summary, the conversation discusses recent images of a storm on Saturn's north pole and its hexagonal structure. The purpose of the thread is questioned and the dimensions of the storm and structure are also mentioned. The cause of the hexagonal structure is unknown and a link to further information is provided.
stargazer3
Hi! I'm really excited about recent APoD picture, which shows Cassini's photo of a gigantic storm on Saturn's north pole. They also have an animation! I can't wait for a colour picture and videos.

Meanwhile, since I still didn't state the purpose of this thread, what are the inner vortex dimensions? NASA's webpage says the probe took the picture from four hundred thousand kilometers away, but I can't find anything about the storm size.

Also, the http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/imagedetails/index.cfm?imageId=4679 image shows an evident hexogonal structure, what on Earth is it caused by?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
stargazer3 said:
Also, the http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/imagedetails/index.cfm?imageId=4679 image shows an evident hexogonal structure, what on Earth is it caused by?
I do not think it is caused by anything on earth.
Sorry, could not resist ;).

I found 25000km as diameter for the hexagonal structure. Comparing this with an image of both together, this would indicate ~2000km for the diameter of the inner part.

stargazer3 said:
Exploring the link mfb provided, we can find this:
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2010/2471.html

Now that is seriously impressive

thanks for the links :)

Dave

I am also excited about the recent APoD picture of the storm on Saturn's north pole. It is truly a remarkable and rare sight to see such a large and powerful storm on another planet. The animation provided also gives us a better understanding of the dynamics and movement of the storm.

In regards to the inner vortex dimensions, NASA's webpage states that the storm is approximately 2,000 kilometers wide. However, the exact dimensions may vary as the storm is constantly evolving and changing. The hexagonal structure seen in the image is a common feature at Saturn's north pole and is believed to be caused by the planet's unique atmospheric patterns and jet streams.

It is important to continue studying and observing this storm in order to gain a deeper understanding of its behavior and potential impacts on Saturn's atmosphere. The data and images collected by Cassini are crucial in helping us unravel the mysteries of this giant storm. I am also eagerly awaiting the release of color pictures and videos, which will provide even more insight into this fascinating phenomenon.

1. What is the "Eye of the storm" at Saturn's north pole?

The "Eye of the storm" at Saturn's north pole is a giant hurricane-like storm that has been observed by NASA's Cassini spacecraft since 2012. It is a massive, swirling vortex that is about 1,250 miles wide, with winds reaching speeds of up to 330 miles per hour.

2. How was the "Eye of the storm" discovered?

The "Eye of the storm" was first discovered by NASA's Cassini spacecraft in 2012 during its mission to study Saturn and its moons. The spacecraft used its infrared instruments to capture images of the storm, which allowed scientists to study its structure and behavior.

3. What causes the "Eye of the storm" at Saturn's north pole?

The "Eye of the storm" is caused by a combination of factors, including the planet's strong winds and its unique atmosphere. Saturn's north pole experiences a constant stream of sunlight, which creates a vortex of warm air that rises and cools as it moves towards the pole. This creates a perfect environment for a storm to form and maintain its shape.

4. How long can the "Eye of the storm" last on Saturn?

The "Eye of the storm" at Saturn's north pole has been observed for over 8 years now, making it one of the longest-lasting storms in our solar system. However, it is difficult to predict how long it will continue to exist, as weather patterns on Saturn can change quickly and unpredictably.

5. How does studying the "Eye of the storm" at Saturn's north pole help us understand our own planet?

Studying the "Eye of the storm" at Saturn's north pole can provide valuable insights into atmospheric and weather patterns on Earth. By comparing and contrasting the storm on Saturn with hurricanes and other weather phenomena on Earth, scientists can gain a better understanding of how these systems work and how they may be influenced by climate change.