Faraday's Law of Induction: Calculating Induced emf in a Moving Square Loop

In summary: The emf around a closed path in a time-varying magnetic field is given by:B=Bo*cos(pi)(x-Uot)aywhere Uot is the position of the loop in the magnetic field, and x and y are the loop's coordinates in the xz-plane. The flux through the loop is zero because the loop is in the same direction as the magnetic field.
robert25pl
Induced emf around a closed path in a time-varying magnetic field.
A magnetic field is given in the xz-plane by B=Bo*cos(pi)(x-Uot)ay Wb/M^2. Consider a rigid square loop situated in the xz-plane with its vertices at (x,0,1), (x,0,2),(x+1,0,2) and (x+1,0,1).
1.What is the expression for the emf induced around the loop in the sense defined by connecting the above points.
2.If the loop is moving with the velocity [tex]V = U_{o}a_{x}[/tex] m/s instead of being stationary what is the induced emf

This is what I got for flux. Can someone check me if I’m doing this right? If it is ok then I can go to next step. I hope, the latex code comes out right. Thanks for help.

Sorry, I should be more specific. This is the exact expression:
[tex]\ B = B_{o}cos{\Pi}(x-U_{0}t)a_{y}[/tex]
So:
[tex]\psi=\int_{s}B\cdot\,ds=\int_{0}^{2} \int_{0}^{1}B_{0}cos{\Pi}(x-U_{0}t)a_{y}\cdot\, dx\,dz\,a_{y}[/tex]

My problem is that I'm not sure that integral limits are correct. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you double check your expression for B. For the expression you have given,

when y=0 (xz plane) , B=0. Therefore flux=0 since the loop is also on the xz plane.

I am assuming ay is the unit vector along y direction. Magnetic field B is independant of z. It is a function of only x. Therefore, integrate only with restpect to x.

[tex]\psi=-\frac{d}{dt}\int_{s}B\cdot\,ds=-\frac{d}{dt}\int_{x}^{x+1}B_{0}cos{\Pi}(x-U_{0}t) dx[/tex]

Induced emf is a function of x.

Last edited:
Thanks Gamma, I got the answer.

[tex]-2B_{0}U_{o}cos{\Pi}(x-U_{0}t)[/tex]

So for part 2, emf would be the same because the loop is perpendicular to B? Is that right?

So for part 2, emf would be the same because the loop is perpendicular to B? Is that right?

Not really. Now x is a function of t.

[tex]\psi=\int_{s}B\cdot\,ds=\int_{x}^{x+1}B_{0}cos{\Pi}(x-U_{0}t) dx[/tex]

First evaluate the above integral. Then differentiate wrt to t. When you differentiate the above to find the emf, don't forget x=x(t). Use the fact that dx/dt = Uo

Gamma said:
First evaluate the above integral. Then differentiate wrt to t. When you differentiate the above to find the emf, don't forget x=x(t). Use the fact that dx/dt = Uo

I did integrate and differentiate and induced emf is equal to:

[tex]-2B_{0}U_{o}cos{\Pi}(x-U_{0}t)[/tex]

But in second part of problem "If the loop is moving with the velocity [tex]V = U_{o}a_{x}[/tex] m/s instead of being stationary what is the induced emf"

I think that emf would be 0 becuase moving loop will produce a positive current. But I don't know how to proved it.

I have explained how to go about it. First find [tex]\psi = \psi (x)[/tex].
See my post #5. Yes, you will get zero.

regards.

1. What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electromotive force (emf) in a conductor. This means that a moving magnet or a changing current in a nearby circuit can create an electric current in a conductor, known as induction.

2. How is emf calculated in a moving square loop?

The induced emf in a moving square loop can be calculated using the equation: emf = -NΔΦ/Δt, where N is the number of turns in the loop, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the change in time. This equation is known as the Faraday's Law equation.

3. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb). The stronger the magnetic field and the larger the area, the greater the magnetic flux.

4. How does the orientation of the loop affect the induced emf?

The orientation of the loop with respect to the magnetic field can greatly affect the induced emf. If the loop is parallel to the magnetic field, there will be no change in magnetic flux and therefore no induced emf. However, if the loop is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the induced emf will be at its maximum.

5. Can Faraday's Law be applied to all types of conductors?

Faraday's Law can be applied to any type of conductor, as long as it is in a changing magnetic field. This includes both metallic and non-metallic conductors, such as copper wires and semiconductors. The key is that the conductor must be able to allow electrons to move freely in order to create an induced emf.