What is the title of the webpage?Do Electrons Really Orbit the Nucleus?

• Thread starter Denver Dang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electrons orbiting the nucleus in an atom. The speaker points out that this is not entirely accurate, as electrons are not tiny balls but quantum field excitations. While they do have momentum, their center of mass does not actually move, and their movement can be better described as a probability density current. This challenges the common assumption of electrons orbiting the nucleus and raises questions about the accuracy of equations based on this concept.
Denver Dang
Hi.

I have a little question. In some of my books you can read that the author keeps saying that an electron is orbiting around the nucleus in it's orbital, and if I'm not mistaken, some equations, or explanations, actually comes from assuming that electrons are orbiting the nucleus in a circular motion.
I'm just beginning quantum physics, so there is probably a lot more advanced stuff that describes those things better, and not assuming that it is orbiting.

But, as far as I can understand, an electron doesn't orbit the nucleus, like a planet does, but instead, statisticially, is everywhere in the orbital, and actually doesn't "move" but just appear out of "nothing".
So isn't the assumptions about electrons orbiting a nucleus wrong, and therefor equations that assume this also wrong, or am I misunderstanding something.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. So called "old quantum theory" is taught in intro courses and so loads of people who just take those end up believing that that's how QM describes electrons in atoms. Not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Electrons in atom orbitals have nonzero momentum. So if you treat them clasically, you can say that they are moving.

However, electrons are not tiny balls, they are quantum field excitations. What is moving is not their center of mass, but their probability density current. You can imagine it as a vessel shaped as a circular loop, filled with water. The water is flowing in a vessel (has nonzero momentum), but it doesn't change position.

1. What is the difference between electrons orbiting and not orbiting?

When an electron is said to be "orbiting" an atom, it means that it is moving in a circular path around the nucleus of the atom. However, according to quantum mechanics, electrons do not actually orbit in the traditional sense. They exist in orbitals, which are regions of space where the probability of finding an electron is high. This means that their movement is more accurately described as a wave-like behavior rather than a circular orbit.

2. Why do some elements have more electrons in their outermost energy level than others?

The arrangement of electrons in atoms is determined by the element's atomic number, which is the number of protons in its nucleus. Electrons fill up energy levels in a specific order, with the innermost levels being filled first. The outermost energy level, also known as the valence level, can hold a maximum of 8 electrons. Elements with a higher atomic number have more electrons and therefore more energy levels, resulting in a higher number of electrons in their valence level.

3. Do electrons ever stop moving?

No, electrons are in constant motion due to their wave-like behavior. They are always vibrating and moving within their orbitals, even at absolute zero temperature.

4. Can electrons move between different orbitals?

Yes, electrons can move between different orbitals within an atom. This is known as electron transition and occurs when an electron absorbs or emits energy. However, electrons cannot move freely between different atoms unless a chemical reaction or bonding occurs.

5. Why can't we see electrons with the naked eye?

Electrons have a very small mass and are negatively charged, making them difficult to detect. Additionally, their behavior is governed by quantum mechanics, which makes it impossible to determine both their position and momentum simultaneously. This means that they are constantly moving and do not exist as solid particles, making it impossible to see them with the naked eye.