Can you recommend any resources for Astronomy?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's participation in Science Olympiads in the Astronomy category. They are looking for recommendations on useful software, databases, or resources that they can have on their laptop during the competition. The other person suggests Stellarium, a website for astronomy-related projects, and a resource for science books.
athena810
Hey!

I'm doing Science Olympiads and my category is Astronomy. We're allowed to bring in a laptop with whatever we want on it but it just can't connect to the internet.

Can you recommend any software, databases, or etc that would be useful to have?
Normally, the questions are basic astronomy related stuff. They'll show us a picture and ask us to identify what's being shown...or they'll ask us to use formulas.

Anything will be useful. Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
athena810 said:
Hey!

I'm doing Science Olympiads and my category is Astronomy. We're allowed to bring in a laptop with whatever we want on it but it just can't connect to the internet.

Can you recommend any software, databases, or etc that would be useful to have?
Normally, the questions are basic astronomy related stuff. They'll show us a picture and ask us to identify what's being shown...or they'll ask us to use formulas.

Anything will be useful. Thanks.

Hi Athena ... try Stellarium its a relativly small download and you won't need an ISP connection.

http://www.stellarium.org/

Dave

Www.astronomy.com is a magazine where you can find interesting stuffs on astronomy

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/search?searchKeywords=school+projects

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best website for astronomy news and updates?

The best website for astronomy news and updates is Space.com. It covers a wide range of topics including space exploration, astronomy research, and space technology.

Where can I find free online courses or lectures on astronomy?

There are several reputable websites that offer free online courses and lectures on astronomy, such as Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy.

Are there any scientific journals or publications that focus on astronomy?

Yes, there are several well-respected scientific journals and publications that focus on astronomy, including Nature Astronomy, Astronomy & Astrophysics, and Science Advances in Astronomy.

What are some recommended books for learning about astronomy?

Some highly recommended books for learning about astronomy include A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, Cosmos by Carl Sagan, and The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene.

Where can I find high-quality images of space and celestial bodies?

You can find high-quality images of space and celestial bodies on websites such as NASA Image Gallery, Hubble Space Telescope Image Gallery, and European Southern Observatory Image Archive.