Math books for a complete beginner

In summary, for a high school student from Brazil with little math knowledge looking to learn more and specifically wanting to learn calculus by the end of the year, a recommended book is Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang. However, as this may not align with your goals and experience, other options to consider are Courant's What is Mathematics and the Schaum's Outlines series.
otavio
Hi,

I'm a high school student from Brazil who knows very little math, but I want to learn more (I've learned some stuff in school and forgot almost all of it).*
Which books would you recommend?

I've heard of Courant's What is Mathematics and of the Schaum's Outlines series. Are these books recommended for a beginner?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your goals in math?

As a blanket suggestion, I would recommend Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang, but it may not be suitable for your goals and experience.

My current goal is to learn some calculus by the end of this year, mainly because next year I'm going to the university and I'll probably need to be somewhat familiar with calculus when I get there (I'm intending to study biology).

This book you mentioned looks interesting. I think I will read it, and then I'll look for something on calculus.

1. What topics are typically covered in a math book for a complete beginner?

A math book for a complete beginner will typically cover basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It may also cover topics such as fractions, decimals, percentages, and basic geometry.

2. Are there any recommended math books for a complete beginner?

There are many options for math books for complete beginners, so it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and needs. Some popular options include "Math for the Frightened: Facing Scary Symbols and Everything Else That Freaks You Out About Math" by Colin Pask and "Basic Mathematics for College Students" by Alan S. Tussy and Diane Koenig.

3. Do math books for complete beginners include practice problems?

Yes, most math books for complete beginners will include practice problems to help reinforce the concepts being taught. These practice problems may be in the form of exercises at the end of each chapter or throughout the text.

4. Are math books for complete beginners suitable for all ages?

Yes, there are math books available for complete beginners of all ages. Some may be geared towards younger children with more visual aids and simpler language, while others may be more suitable for older students or adults.

5. Can a math book for a complete beginner be used for self-study?

Yes, a math book for a complete beginner can be used for self-study. However, it may be helpful to also seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or practice problems to supplement the material in the book.