Aharonov-Bohm Effect: Phase Difference for Rectangular Path

• Thread starter ziyad
  • Start date
In summary, when a rectangular path is followed through a solenoid, the phase difference between the path and the original closed loop integral of the curl of the magnetic field remains the same. This is because the flux is different along the different paths, and the integration is taken over a different area. However, if the axis of the solenoid is aligned along the x-axis, then the vector potential will intersect each path with the same rotation, and there will be no phase difference.
ziyad
When we derive the phase difference in the classical experiment of the solenoid as shown below

http://www.public.asu.edu/~ziyads/Aharonovbohm.pdf

Now what if we change the path from the sorce to screen so it follows a rectangular path like this

http://www.public.asu.edu/~ziyads/rect.gif

the phase difference i.e equation 10 in the slides above will remain the same cause no matter what the path the the closed loop integral of the curl of A remains the same.

NOw what if I change it a bit, and apply a parpendicular magnetic field throughout the region and my gauge is A=(-By/2, Bx/2,0)

How will the phase differnce change of the rectangular path.
and what about if A=(By,0,0) which should be the same as that of A=(-By/2, Bx/2,0)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ziyad said:
Now what if we change the path from the sorce to screen so it follows a rectangular path ...

the phase difference i.e equation 10 in the slides above will remain the same cause no matter what the path the the closed loop integral of the curl of A remains the same.

First...
It seems to me that since, in general, the integration is taken over a different area, then the flux will be different, (eqn. 5); and thus will result in a different amount of phase difference, (eqn 10).

As to your second question; I'm not exactly sure, but it seems to me if you are going to align the axis of the selonoid along the x-axis (and the path remains in the x-y plane) then the vector potential should intersect each path with the same rotation --thus no phase difference. However, I'm assuming here the electrons are not spin polarized similarly; if such is the case then [itex]\delta\phi[/itex] may reappear in accordance with some quantum relation. :wink:

Creator :cool:

P. S. Nice explanation of AB effect.

Last edited:
actually for the second case. the structure can be thought of inside the solenoid. cause there is a perpendicular magnetic field. IN the first case the path was outside the solenoid and it didn't had magnetic field only vector potential.

sso i think the question is how does an actual magnetic field change its phase compared to just vector potential

1. What is the Aharonov-Bohm Effect?

The Aharonov-Bohm Effect is a quantum mechanical phenomenon that describes the phase difference of an electron wave after it passes through a region with zero magnetic field. This phase difference is caused by the presence of a magnetic vector potential, even though there is no actual magnetic field present.

2. Who discovered the Aharonov-Bohm Effect?

The Aharonov-Bohm Effect was first proposed by Yakir Aharonov and David Bohm in 1959. They were two prominent physicists who were exploring the effects of the vector potential in quantum mechanics.

3. How does the Aharonov-Bohm Effect differ from the normal quantum mechanical effects of a magnetic field?

In most cases, the behavior of a quantum particle is determined by the strength and direction of the magnetic field it is exposed to. However, in the Aharonov-Bohm Effect, the particle's behavior is influenced by the magnetic vector potential, which is independent of the magnetic field.

4. Can the Aharonov-Bohm Effect be observed in experiments?

Yes, the Aharonov-Bohm Effect has been observed in many experiments since its discovery. One notable experiment involved sending electrons through two parallel slits, with a magnetic field present in one of the slits. The electrons still showed interference patterns, indicating the presence of the vector potential's influence.

5. What are the practical applications of the Aharonov-Bohm Effect?

The Aharonov-Bohm Effect has been used in various applications, such as creating magnetic lenses for electron beams, studying topological insulators, and detecting superconductivity. It also has implications for the understanding of fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics, such as gauge invariance and the role of the vector potential.