Difference between 2 Sum of n terms of geometric series formulas

In summary, the two "Sum of n terms of geometric series" formulas, Notation A and Notation B, have some key differences. Notation A includes the "a" terms while Notation B only includes the "r" terms. This means that Notation B assumes a=1. Additionally, the general terms of S_{n} in Notation A end with an exponent of ar^{n-1}, while the general terms of S_{n+1} in Notation B end with an exponent of r^{n}. This difference in notation is due to the emphasis placed on how the series is described. Notation A emphasizes S_{n}, while Notation B emphasizes a "cleaner" upper bound on
Lebombo
Difference between 2 "Sum of n terms of geometric series" formulas

Notation A)

[tex]S_{n}= \sum_{k=0}^{n - 1} ar^{k} = ar^{0} + ar^{1} + ar^{2} +...+ ar^{n-1} = \frac{a(1-r^{n})}{1-r}[/tex]

Proof:

[itex] S_{n}= ar^{0} + ar^{1} + ar^{2} +...+ ar^{n-1}[/itex]
- [itex] r*S_{n}= ar^{1} + ar^{2} + ar^{3} +...+ ar^{n}[/itex]

[itex]S_{n}(1-r)=a(1-r^{n}) \Rightarrow S_{n} = \frac{a(1-r^{n})}{1-r}[/itex]

Notation B)

[itex]S_{n+1} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} ar^{k} = ar^{0} + ar^{1} + ar^{2} +...+ ar^{n} = \frac{a(1-r^{n+1})}{1-r}[/itex]

Proof:

[itex]S_{n+1} = r^{0} + r^{1} + r^{2} +...+ r^{n}[/itex]
- [itex] r*S_{n+1} = r^{1} + r^{2} + r^{3}+...+ r^{n+1}[/itex]

[itex]S_{n}(1-r)=1-r^{n+1} \Rightarrow S_{n} = \frac{1-r^{n+1}}{1-r}[/itex]

So the 2 differences between the formulas I see from the start is:

1) Notation A includes the "a" terms while Notation B only includes the "r" terms. I assume this means that Notation B assumes a=1

2) General terms of [itex]S_{n}[/itex] in Notation A end with exponent [itex]ar^{n-1}[/itex] while General terms of [itex]S_{n+1}[/itex] in Notation B end with exponent [itex]r^{n}[/itex] . I assume the different notation is due to the emphasis put on how the series is described.

If emphasis of notation is placed on [itex]S_{n}[/itex], then you get [itex]ar^{0} + ar^{1} + ar^{2} +...+ ar^{n-1}[/itex] thus for the last term, you get the classic formula of "nth term of geometric sequence."

If emphasis of notation is placed on a "cleaner" upper bound on the sigma notation such as [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{n} ar^{k}[/itex] then you get the series in the form [itex]ar^{0} + ar^{1} + ar^{2} +...+ ar^{n}[/itex] so for the last term, you no longer have the classic formula of "nth term of geometric sequence."

_______

So in summary, what I can conclude when accounting for the differences between the 2 formulas are that the formula will change a little when a=1 and will change again when the exponent of the last term in the series is "n" instead of "n+1."

Are these notations, formulas, and ascertains about the notation differences correct? I'm just making wild guesses, so I'd be appreciative of any feedback that can correct the assumptions I've made, or to add to the accounting for the differences in the notations and formulas.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the difference is primarily in what you are doing each one =)
In your second proof the missing a constant isn't there because of as you said the proof assumes it would equal one. That's why even at the step below in the proof it hasn't been included though this series is fundamentally different from the step before it where a was included.
Lebombo said:
[itex]S_{n+1} = r^{0} + r^{1} + r^{2} +...+ r^{n}[/itex]

Also what you're doing in the second proof is summing the first n+1 terms and not the first n which is different. This confusion is in this step:
Lebombo said:
[itex]S_{n} - r*S_{n} = r^{0} - r^{n+1}[/itex]
It should look like:
[itex]S_{n+1} - r*S_{n+1} = r^{0} - r^{n+1}[/itex]​
So that you don't lose what youre doing you must keep the n+1 as the sub for S constant otherwise its misleading, Interestingly though I think the second proof is a proof of convergence but don't take my word for it ;)

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of n terms in a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of n terms in a geometric series is Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.

2. How is the formula for finding the sum of n terms in a geometric series different from the formula for finding the sum of an infinite geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of an infinite geometric series is S = a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. This formula is a special case of the formula for finding the sum of n terms, where n approaches infinity.

3. Can the formula for finding the sum of n terms in a geometric series be used for negative common ratios?

Yes, the formula for finding the sum of n terms in a geometric series can be used for negative common ratios. However, the value of r must be between -1 and 1 for the series to converge.

4. How can the formula for finding the sum of n terms in a geometric series be applied in real-life situations?

The formula for finding the sum of n terms in a geometric series can be applied in situations where there is a constant rate of change, such as in financial investments, population growth, and radioactive decay.

5. What is the difference between the arithmetic series and geometric series formulas for finding the sum of n terms?

The arithmetic series formula is Sn = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where a is the first term, d is the common difference, and n is the number of terms. The geometric series formula is Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. The main difference is that the arithmetic series has a linear relationship between terms, while the geometric series has an exponential relationship between terms.