Aluminium Solution Treatment/Precipitation Hardening

• Thread starter lauraosborn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminium
In summary, the experiment being conducted is on the 2xxx series AL. After solution treatment, the strength and hardness decreased, which can be attributed to the micro-structure. The addition of alloying elements makes the aluminum stronger and harder. The aluminum was then artificially aged at 150, 200, and 250 degrees celsius, with the expectation that the hardness would be lowest at 150 and highest at 250. However, surprisingly, the highest hardness was found in the aluminum aged at 150 degrees celsius. This phenomenon is currently being studied and further guidance is needed. The amount of time provided for aging was not specified.
lauraosborn
I am currently doing an experiment on 2xxx series AL.
After solution treatment, the strength and hardness dropped. can i account it due to its micro-structure? (i explained it saying that due to the alloying elements being dissolved in the aluminum. Without the effects of the alloying elements, the aluminum is soft and ductile and does not have high strength.)

More importantly, i artificially aged it at 150, 200 and 250 degrees celsius.
theoretically, the hardness of the metals should be lowest at 150, and highest at 250.

However, i got the highest hardness for the metal which Artificially hardened at 150 degrees celsius.
Thus i am lost on how to explain this phenomena, can anyone guide me?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
how much time did u provide for aging?

1. What is aluminium solution treatment?

Aluminium solution treatment is a heat treatment process used to dissolve all the alloying elements in aluminium and create a solid solution. This process is also known as homogenization and is typically done at high temperatures for a specific amount of time.

2. What is the purpose of aluminium precipitation hardening?

Aluminium precipitation hardening, also known as age hardening, is a process used to increase the strength and hardness of aluminium alloys. This is achieved by precipitating small particles of a strengthening phase within the alloy matrix.

3. What is the difference between solution treatment and precipitation hardening?

The main difference between solution treatment and precipitation hardening is that solution treatment involves dissolving the alloying elements in aluminium, while precipitation hardening involves precipitating these elements as fine particles to increase strength and hardness.

4. What are the common alloying elements used for precipitation hardening of aluminium?

The most commonly used alloying elements for precipitation hardening of aluminium are copper, magnesium, and zinc. These elements form fine particles during the aging process, which increase the strength of the alloy.

5. How does the aging temperature and time affect the properties of aluminium alloys?

The aging temperature and time have a significant impact on the properties of aluminium alloys. A higher aging temperature and longer time result in larger and more evenly distributed precipitates, leading to higher strength and hardness. However, excessive aging can also cause over-aging and decrease the strength of the alloy.