How to turn this sequence into a formula?

In summary, the sequence of exponents of 3 in the prime factorization of every third element of \mathbb Z starting from 3 can be represented as an equation using the p-adic order function. For example, the number 666 is the 222nd number in this sequence, and inputting 222 into the p-adic order function would output the exponent for 3 in the prime factorization of 666, which is 2. This function is based on the p-adic valuation in number theory and is used to determine the highest power of a prime number that divides a given number.
pondzo
the sequence:
"............" 4,
"............" 5,
"............" 4,
"............" 4,
"............" 5,
"............" 4,
"............" 4,
"............" 6, and so on, is the sequence of exponents of 3 in the prime factorization of every third element of [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex] starting from 3.
eg 3= 31 → 1
6= 31*2 → 1
9= 32 → 2
and these are the first three elements of the sequence
How would i go about turning this sequence into an equation, so i could say, for example, the number 666 is the 222th number in this sequence and plug 222 (or 666 for that matter, whichever) into some equation that would output the exponent for 3 in the prime factorization of the number 666 (which in the case of 666, would be 2 since 666= 37*2*32 )
Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, i don't quite get it. Could you please give an example of how this function outputs numbers in the sequence?

1. How do I determine the pattern in a sequence?

To determine the pattern in a sequence, you need to look at the differences between each number. If the differences are constant, then the pattern is likely to be linear. If the differences are increasing or decreasing, then the pattern is likely to be quadratic or exponential.

2. What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers in a specific order, while a series is the sum of those numbers in the sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding up the terms in a sequence.

3. How do I create a formula for a sequence?

To create a formula for a sequence, you need to determine the pattern and use variables to represent the changing elements. Then, you can use algebraic operations to express the relationship between the terms in the sequence.

4. What is the process for turning a sequence into a formula?

The process for turning a sequence into a formula involves identifying the pattern, representing the elements with variables, and using algebraic operations to express the relationship between the terms. Then, simplify the formula to its simplest form.

5. Can a sequence have more than one formula?

Yes, a sequence can have more than one formula. This is because there can be different patterns or relationships between the terms in a sequence. It is important to identify the correct formula for a specific sequence to accurately predict future terms.