Physics of Indiana Jones rope swing

In summary, Indiana Jones is swinging from a rope with a distance of 31.00m between the pivot point and his center of mass. His initial angle is theta=18.00 and after 1.290s, the value of theta (in degrees) can be calculated using the equations for simple harmonic motion. The period and angular velocity can be found using the equation T= 2pi square root of L/g, and then plugged into the equation theta= theta,o cos((2pi/T) t).
melissa_y
Indiana Jones!

My physics class had this problem for our homework set this week and nobody has figured it out. We asked for help from our TAs today and they didn't know how to help us either. If someone could look at this problem and tell me what they think I would really appreciate it.

Indiana Jones is swinging from a rope. The distance between the pivot point and his center of mass is 31.00m. He begins swinging from rest at an angle theta=18.00. Assuming that Indiana and the rope can be treated as a simple pendulum, what is the value of theta after 1.290s (in degrees)?

Ok so this is the farthest that any of us have gotten so far...

T= 2pi square root of L/g
theta= theta,o cos((2pi/T) t)

I think these are the equations we are supposed to use but I am still really confused on how to solve this problem. If someone could direct me in the right way and give me the right idea my WHOLE physics class would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you are applying SHM principles which is good. Find the period and angular velocity and from there just plug it into that bottom equation.

Ok so this is what I've done and I am not gettingthe problem right still...

I did T = 2pi (square root of L/g)

I took that T/2 = 5.5875

Then i set up this equation

5.5875/1.290 = 18/x

Then I solve for x and subtract the x from the theta given. I'm not sure what i"m doing wrong!

melissa_y said:
Ok so this is what I've done and I am not gettingthe problem right still...

I did T = 2pi (square root of L/g)

I took that T/2 = 5.5875

Then i set up this equation

5.5875/1.290 = 18/x

Then I solve for x and subtract the x from the theta given. I'm not sure what i"m doing wrong!

The period calculation looks correct. Your last equation is not correct. Why are you not using the equation for theta from your original post?

theta= theta,o cos((2pi/T) t)

1. How does Indiana Jones' rope swing work?

The rope swing used by Indiana Jones is based on the principle of conservation of energy. As he swings from one point to another, he gains potential energy at the top of the swing and converts it into kinetic energy as he swings forward. The rope also helps to maintain his angular momentum, allowing him to continue swinging without falling.

2. Can anyone perform a rope swing like Indiana Jones?

In theory, anyone can perform a rope swing like Indiana Jones. However, it requires a lot of strength, coordination, and timing. In addition, the rope used in the movie is most likely a prop and is not practical for regular use. It is important to note that attempting such stunts can be dangerous and should only be done under proper supervision and with the necessary safety precautions.

3. Would Indiana Jones' rope swing work in real life?

While the physics behind Indiana Jones' rope swing are based on real principles, it is highly unlikely that it would work in the same way in real life. The rope used in the movie is most likely not strong enough to support the weight and force of a person swinging in the same manner. In addition, the stunts performed in the movie are often exaggerated for dramatic effect.

4. How does the length of the rope affect the swing?

The length of the rope affects the swing in two main ways. First, a longer rope would allow for a higher potential energy at the top of the swing, resulting in a more dramatic swing. Second, a longer rope would also result in a slower swing, as the distance to travel is greater. This can be seen in the movie when Indiana Jones swings across large gaps with longer ropes.

5. Is there any scientific evidence to support Indiana Jones' rope swing?

While there may not be specific scientific studies on Indiana Jones' rope swing, the principles of conservation of energy and angular momentum are well-established in physics. These principles can be applied to explain the mechanics of the rope swing, but it is important to remember that the stunts performed in the movie are exaggerated and should not be attempted without proper training and safety measures.