Experimenting with Electrodes in Water: Physics Theory Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving electrodes submerged in stationary and flowing water to measure the effect of distance and flow speed on the current. The researcher is seeking a theory related to physics rather than chemistry, and the conversation suggests looking into the Nernst equation.
druvinda
Hi,
i am doing an experiment involving electrodes conected to a circuit and the electrodes submersed into (a) stationary water and (b) flowing water. i am measuring how the current in the curcuit is affected by changing the distance of separation betwwen the electrodes in the stationary and flowing water, and how the speed of the flowing water affects the current. so far my research has lead me to electrolysis and nothing further, and as this is a physics paper, i need a theory related to to physics rather than chemistry. i hope you know of a theory relting to my experiment.
Thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
I though chemistry was physics?

It would help if you told us more of your experiment. How are you measuring the current? How are you inducing the current? What is the fluid?

Well chemistry is more or less physics of chemicals (elements) and their behavior.

So this appears to be an experiment in electrochemistry, where by you would measure the influence of distance between electrodes, and flow (speed) of water, on the current.

Is a voltage applied between the electrodes? Are the electrodes of the same material or different materials?

Is the purpose of the electrolysis to produce hydrogen?

Look for information on the Nernst equation, e.g.
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/nernsteq.html

1. What is the purpose of experimenting with electrodes in water?

The purpose of experimenting with electrodes in water is to study the movement of electric charges in a liquid medium, which can provide insight into various phenomena in physics, such as conductivity and electrolysis.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include: a container of water, two electrodes (such as copper or graphite), a source of electricity, wires to connect the electrodes to the electricity source, and a voltmeter or ammeter to measure the voltage or current.

3. What physics theories are involved in this experiment?

There are several physics theories involved in this experiment, including Ohm's law, which describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance; Faraday's laws of electrolysis, which explain the transfer of electric charges during electrolysis; and the concept of electrochemical cells, which involves the movement of ions in a solution.

4. How do the properties of the electrodes affect the results of the experiment?

The properties of the electrodes, such as their material, surface area, and distance from each other, can affect the conductivity and electrolysis reactions in the water. For example, using electrodes made of different metals may produce different results due to variations in their conductivity and reactivity.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when conducting this experiment?

It is important to take proper safety precautions when conducting this experiment, as it involves electricity and potentially hazardous materials. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and handle the electricity source with caution. Avoid contact with the electrodes while they are connected to the electricity source and do not touch the water during the experiment.