How to Solve a Tricky Integral: Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter ISU20CpreE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Push
In summary: THANK YOU! In summary, the author is working on a problem where he has to use a different integral from the one in the book. He is confused and needs help. After following the advice in the summary, he is able to solve the problem.
ISU20CpreE
ok i got this problem:

[tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{x-2}} {x+1} \,dx[/tex]

then i have to let u=(x-2)^0.5 then i solve for x in terms of u

so i get x= u^2+2
dx=2u du

[tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{x-2}} {x+1} \,dx=\int\frac{u}{u^2+3}\,2u\,du[/tex]

where when i substitute i get:

[tex]\int\frac{2u^2} {u^2+3}\,du[/tex]. after that I am completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe:

Pull the 2 out, then add 0 to the top (+3 - 3). Then, can you solve: [tex]2\int\frac{u^2 + 3 - 3} {u^2+3}\,du[/tex]

Last edited:
Try making u = x+1

mattmns said:
Maybe:

Pull the 2 out, then add 0 to the top (+3 - 3). Then split the fractions and easy.

what if i do this
[tex]\frac{2u^2}{u^2+3}=2-\frac6{u^2+3}[/tex] i do polynomial long division. lol. but then what??

cyrusabdollahi said:
Try making u = x+1

It will be easier but the book says i have to use the other one.

what if i do this
[tex]\frac{2u^2}{u^2+3}=2-\frac6{u^2+3}[/tex] i do polynomial long division. lol. but then what??

Then it's cool. The first time is easily integrable. The second term has a solution as well.

Edit: Integrating the second term will be easier with substitution [tex]u = a\tan y[/tex], and the identity [tex]\tan^2 x + 1 = \sec^2 x[/tex]

Last edited:
Did you see my edit? I think that is really easy to solve. No polynomial division needed :smile:

[tex]2\int\frac{u^2 + 3 - 3} {u^2+3}\,du[/tex]

how is that helpful?

cyrusabdollahi said:
[tex]2\int\frac{u^2 + 3 - 3} {u^2+3}\,du[/tex]

how is that helpful?
Split that up into two parts:

(a+b)/ c = a/c + b/cSo,
[tex]2\int\frac{u^2 + 3 - 3} {u^2+3} du = 2(\int\1du - \int\frac{3}{u^2+3}du)[/tex]

Which is easy to solve, unless I made some silly mistake.

Last edited:
mattmns said:
Maybe:

Pull the 2 out, then add 0 to the top (+3 - 3). Then, can you solve: [tex]2\int\frac{u^2 + 3 - 3} {u^2+3}\,du[/tex]

I am confused with differnent methods sorry I've been trying for a few hours. I don't know what to do.

Gotcha mattmns, your right that is easier.

looking at my table of integrals:

[tex] \int \frac{dx}{x^2 + a^2} = \frac {1} { a} tan^{-1} ( \frac{x}{a} ) + C [/tex]

where x is your u, and a is square root of 3.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Gotcha mattmns, your right that is easier.

looking at my table of integrals:

[tex] \int \frac{dx}{x^2 + a^2} = \frac {1} { a} tan^{-1} ( \frac{x}{a} ) + C [/tex]

so if i will get as an answer this??

[tex]2u-6\frac{1} {\sqrt{3}} tan^-1\frac{u} {\sqrt{3}},+c[/tex]

change all your U's into [tex] \sqrt{x-2} [/tex], and you can anwser your own question, if we did this right, take the derivative, do you get the question you were asked in the beginning? That is always a good check to do when your not certain.

cyrusabdollahi said:
change all your U's into [tex] \sqrt{x-2} [/tex], and you can anwser your own question, if we did this right, take the derivative, do you get the question you were asked in the beginning? That is always a good check to do when your not certain.

You are totally right my friend, but in the book it gives me this answer

[tex]2\sqrt{x-2}-2\sqrt{3}\tan^{-1}\left(\sqrt{\frac{x-2}3}\right)+C[/tex]

hmmm the inner part of the ( ) looks good, some how I goofed off the 2 (3)^.5 part let me see.

nope were still fine, just multiply top and bottom by square root of three. so that you go from [tex] \frac { 6} { \sqrt 3 } [/tex]

to

[tex] \frac { 6 \sqrt 3} { ( \sqrt 3)^2 } [/tex]

and you get

[tex] 2 \sqrt {3} [/tex]

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
hmmm the inner part of the ( ) looks good, some how I goofed off the 2 (3)^.5 part let me see.

nope were still fine, just multiply top and bottom by square root of three.

LoL, no problem thanks. Thank you very much for the help.

I see i really needed it

Last edited:

1. How do I identify a tricky integral?

A tricky integral is typically one that does not have an obvious solution using basic integration techniques. This could be due to the presence of complex functions, special cases, or unusual limits of integration.

2. What are some common strategies for solving tricky integrals?

Some common strategies for solving tricky integrals include using substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. It may also be helpful to simplify the integral by factoring, expanding, or using algebraic manipulation.

3. How can I check my solution to a tricky integral?

You can check your solution to a tricky integral by taking the derivative of your answer and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also use online integration calculators or ask a math teacher or tutor for assistance.

4. What are some tips for beginners when solving tricky integrals?

Some tips for beginners when solving tricky integrals include carefully examining the problem and identifying any patterns or methods that could be used, breaking the integral into smaller parts, and practicing with a variety of different types of integrals to build familiarity and problem-solving skills.

5. What resources are available for further help with solving tricky integrals?

There are many online resources available for further help with solving tricky integrals, such as video tutorials, step-by-step guides, and forums for asking questions and getting assistance from other math enthusiasts. Additionally, consulting a math textbook or seeking help from a math teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.