What Are the Theories Behind Tooth Eruption?

• Thread starter The Sphinx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theories
In summary: Tooth eruption is a complex process and may involve more than one of these mechanisms.In summary, there are multiple theories behind tooth eruption. Medical science is studying them to find out which genes are involved and maybe uncovering a regulatory handle for future treatments.
The Sphinx
I am looking for some information on Tooth Eruption Theories.

Thank you all. :)

Biology news on Phys.org
This is interesting.. What prompted this question?

The Sphinx said:
I am looking for some information on Tooth Eruption Theories.

Thank you all. :)

Now that you have broken ground.

I would like to say Medical Science needs to study Stem Cell injection for growing new sets of teeth.

Look out Mr.Denist

aha OK

...Thread is closed! :D

There are people who don't grow their second set of teeth, medical science is studying them in order to find out what genes are involved; possibly uncovering a regulatory handle for future treatments.

I don't think the stem cell theory proposed above will do any good.

My older daughter (the mutant) had a third set of teeth, which was removed. We found out when another tooth started pushing out one of her permanent teeth. X-rays showed an entire new set coming in. She has one third tooth in place of that second tooth, it's perfectly normal. :bugeye: We had the rest of the third set surgically removed before they tried to come in.

I told her she was a shark. :biggrin: (I'm a bad mother :frown: )

Monique said:
There are people who don't grow their second set of teeth, medical science is studying them in order to find out what genes are involved; possibly uncovering a regulatory handle for future treatments.
I don't think the stem cell theory proposed above will do any good.
Through all the liturature out there on Stem Cells, I keep hearing that all varieties of Stem Cell types as a whole can regrow any part of the body.
Is this something that's hyped by the media?
There would seem to have to be some master cell that triggers teeth growth, I would assume since all other parts of the body require these types of Master Cells.:smile:
I guess I should of directed this Question to a Geneticist, Sorry.
Oh, My wife had-had 4 sets of teeth growing up, Her last set is already permenant, I guess that's what mostly triggered my question.:rofl:

This http://www.uic.edu/classes/osci/osci590/9_1Mechanisms.htm discusses several theories of tooth eruption.
1. Vascular pressure and blood vessel thrust
2. Pulpal pressure and pulpal growth.
3. Traction by periodontal fibroblasts.
4. Root elongation.
5. Alveolar bone remodeling.
6. Periodontal ligament formation.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the different theories about tooth eruption?

There are three main theories that attempt to explain the process of tooth eruption: the Cellular Theory, the Physical Theory, and the Neurovascular Theory. The Cellular Theory suggests that cells in the dental follicle play a key role in the eruption process, while the Physical Theory proposes that physical forces such as pressure and resorption are responsible. The Neurovascular Theory focuses on the role of nerves and blood vessels in guiding the eruption process.

2. Is there a consensus on which theory is correct?

No, there is no consensus on which theory is correct. Each theory has its own strengths and weaknesses, and many scientists believe that a combination of these theories may provide a more accurate explanation of tooth eruption.

3. What is the evidence for the Cellular Theory?

The Cellular Theory is supported by studies that have identified specific cells in the dental follicle that are involved in tooth eruption. These cells, known as fibroblasts and osteoblasts, are responsible for producing the connective tissue and bone that support the tooth during eruption.

4. How does the Neurovascular Theory explain tooth eruption?

The Neurovascular Theory suggests that nerves and blood vessels play a critical role in guiding the eruption process. Nerve fibers and blood vessels in the dental follicle are believed to release chemical signals that stimulate the movement of the tooth and guide it to its proper position in the mouth.

5. Are there any other factors that may influence tooth eruption?

Yes, there are several other factors that may influence tooth eruption, such as genetics, hormones, and environmental factors. Genetic factors can affect the size and shape of the dental follicle, which can impact the eruption process. Hormones, such as estrogen and growth hormone, can also play a role in regulating tooth eruption. Additionally, environmental factors like nutrition and trauma can affect the development and eruption of teeth.