Maximum power/current for a battery?

In summary, when connecting a 9 V battery to a load with low resistance, the current would be high according to Ohm's law. However, if the load can withstand it, the battery has a maximum power it can provide and the current will be limited to a certain value. Alternatively, the battery may have a maximum current it can provide, resulting in a lower voltage. The behavior of a battery is dependent on its internal resistance and amp capacity.
bakshi
Suppose you have a 9 V battery that you connect to a load having a very low resistance (e.g. 0.1 ohm). From Ohm's law, the current would be I = V/R = 90 amps, which seems impossible to obtain from such a battery. If we suppose that the load will not burn, which of these options is the correct one?

1) The battery has a maximum power it can provide. For example, if this power is P = 100 W, then since P = RI^2 the current will be I = (P/R)^0.5 = 31.6 amps and the voltage V = RI = 3.16 V.

2) The battery has a maximum current it can provide. For example, if this current is I = 5 A, then V = RI = 0.5 V.

I am aware the values given for P and I might not be realist. I am just interested in the general behaviour of a battery (is current, power or voltage the fixed value?). Thanks for your help.

Bakshi

Physics news on Phys.org
Batteries have their own internal resistance that you must consider.

Pengwuino said:
Batteries have their own internal resistance that you must consider.

just to be clear about this, as the output current of the battery increases, the voltage at the terminals drop. although, if you were to plot terminal voltage vs. output current for a particular physical battery, the curve would not be perfectly linear (which it would be if it were a simple internal resistance), for small enough output currents, the curve does look like a straight line.

if, then, you were to run with that ideal voltage in series with simple internal resistance, it is pretty easy to show that the load to connect the battery to that extracts the most power, is one where the load resistance is equal to the internal resistance. then the terminal voltage is half of its maximum (open circuit) voltage and it output current is half of its maximum (short circuit) current.

Batteries have not only a voltage rating, but an "amp" capacity rating.
Dry cells, such as common flashlight batteries(or standard 9-volt batteries you are referring to) have a very low amp capacity.
Wet cells, such as a 12-volt lead-acid car battery have very high amp capacities.

1. What is the maximum power output of a battery?

The maximum power output of a battery is the amount of energy it can deliver per unit of time. It is typically measured in watts (W) and is influenced by factors such as the battery's chemistry, size, and temperature.

2. How is maximum power related to battery capacity?

Maximum power and battery capacity are not directly related. While battery capacity refers to the total amount of energy a battery can store, maximum power is the rate at which that energy can be delivered. A battery with a high capacity may not necessarily have a high maximum power output.

3. Can a battery exceed its maximum power rating?

Yes, a battery can exceed its maximum power rating for short periods of time. This is known as the battery's peak power, and it occurs when a sudden surge of energy is required. However, exceeding the maximum power rating for extended periods can damage the battery and reduce its overall lifespan.

4. How does temperature affect a battery's maximum power output?

The maximum power output of a battery decreases as the temperature decreases. This is because the chemical reactions within the battery slow down in colder temperatures, reducing the amount of energy that can be delivered per unit of time. On the other hand, high temperatures can also damage a battery and decrease its overall maximum power output.

5. How can I determine the maximum power/current for a specific battery?

The maximum power/current for a battery is typically listed on its datasheet or packaging. It can also be calculated by multiplying the battery's voltage by its maximum current output. It is important to note that the maximum power/current may vary depending on the battery's age, temperature, and usage conditions.