Wat does my teacher want me to do?

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
Just remember to draw the result starting from the tip of the first vector and ending at the tip of the second vector. The angle is not necessary for this method of vector subtraction. In summary, the task is to find the difference between V2 and V1, and the average acceleration of a snowmobile driving across a frozen lake, using a scale diagram and vector subtraction. The angle is not needed as the scale can be used to determine the magnitude of the resulting vector.
DB
hey guys, I am a lil confused with this one, not really with the concept, just how to start...
4) a snowmobile is being driven across a frozen lake. Vector V1 and Vector V2 in the diagram represents its velocity at two instants 3 s apart. 1 cm = 5 m/s
Determine [tex]\overrightarrow{\Delta V}[/tex] and the average acceleration.

i know i have to find the vector difference in v2 and v1 and the divide that by change in time but in the diagram all the teacher did was draw 2 lines (vectors) without an angle or a line showing where 180 degrees is, and just labeled them v1 and v2. how do i do the vector subtraction? i know i have to put them tail to tail, but how do i do it without knowing wat the angles are?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the angle if you're going to be able to work out the magnitude of the difference between the two vectors, unless you're doing this using a scale diagram.

i think we are using a scale diagram, it says 1 cm = 5 m/s, is that wat u mean?

It's been a while, so I'll say, "yes" it's what he means. When finding the delta V, the difference between two vectors is the arrow that goes from the tip of the first vector to the tip of the second vector. This is vector subraction. Notice that if you do this in the wrong order, you get the opposite-pointing vector.

DB:

Yes, with the given scale, you should be able to do the vector subtraction on the diagram, and read off the length of the resulting vector directly from the diagram.

1. What is the purpose of the assignment?

The purpose of the assignment is to help you understand and apply the concepts and skills taught in class. It is also a way for your teacher to assess your understanding and progress in the subject.

2. What are the specific requirements for the assignment?

Your teacher should have provided you with a rubric or instructions that outline the specific requirements for the assignment. Make sure to read and follow them carefully.

3. How much time should I spend on the assignment?

The amount of time you should spend on the assignment depends on its complexity and your own pace. It is recommended to start early and work on it in chunks rather than leaving it all for the last minute.

4. Can I use outside sources for the assignment?

This depends on the type of assignment and your teacher's instructions. Some assignments may require you to use only the materials taught in class, while others may allow you to use outside sources as long as you cite them properly.

5. What should I do if I don't understand the assignment?

If you are struggling to understand the assignment, it is important to communicate with your teacher. They are there to help you and can clarify any confusion or provide additional resources to aid in your understanding.