Interesting projectile problem

In summary, a practice test for the International Physics Olympiad qualifier presents a problem involving a ball thrown vertically with initial velocity V and reaching maximum height h. The question asks at what height the ball is traveling at half its initial velocity, but the formula V^2=V0^2-2gh does not seem to work. The conversation suggests to first find h in terms of V and then use it to calculate the new height. Another tip is to write formulas for h and h_2 and then find h_2 in terms of h. Finally, the relationship between the middle-speed height and the final height can be used to solve the problem.
DaMastaofFisix
Hello, I am practicing for the INternational Physics Olympiad qualifier and I was working on a practice test when I stumbles across what seemed like an easy problem. I thought It was super-intuitive, but I can't seem to verify a correct answer with the multiple choice selection. Here's the Problem:

A ball ( or projectile, no matter) is thrown vertically with a velocity V. The ball reaches a maximum height h. In terms of h, at what height is the ball traveling at half of its initial velocity?

Seemed easy at first, cause I knew and still know that it's a matter of plugging into the kinematics equations. the problem is that my logical setup isn't working out. I tried using the formula V^2=V0^2-2gh, but uh... it's not workin out Can someone come to my rescue!?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the problem? First figure out what h is in terms of V. Then try using that formula to find the new height.

The only hint I can give is to write formulas for h and h_2 and then get h_2 in terms of h.

In your equation V^2=V0^2-2gh the h that comes out is the hight when the ball gets to half oh the velocity (if V = 0.5 V0), with tht you can also find the total hight, the just divide the middle-speed hight with the final hight and find how they are related. For example if Hm = 3 and Hf = 4 then Hm/Hf = 3/4 so Hm = 3/4Hf

1. What is a projectile problem?

A projectile problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. This includes determining the object's initial velocity, angle of launch, and its height and distance at different points in time.

2. What makes a projectile problem interesting?

A projectile problem is considered interesting when it involves unique or challenging scenarios, such as objects being launched from moving platforms or encountering air resistance. These types of problems require more complex calculations and critical thinking skills, making them more engaging for students and scientists.

3. How do you solve an interesting projectile problem?

To solve an interesting projectile problem, you must first identify the known variables and use physics equations, such as the equations of motion, to calculate the unknown variables. It is important to use accurate and precise measurements, as well as consider any external factors that may affect the motion of the object.

4. What are some real-life applications of projectile problems?

Projectile problems have many real-life applications, such as in sports like baseball and football, where players must calculate the trajectory of a ball to make a successful throw or kick. They are also used in engineering and military operations to determine the best angle and velocity for launching projectiles.

5. What skills can be developed by solving projectile problems?

Solving projectile problems can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also requires an understanding of various physics concepts, such as velocity, acceleration, and trajectory, which can be applied to other areas of science and technology.