Construct a Launcher Under $25 with PVC Pipes

• Thread starter Elkay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Launcher
In summary, PVC pipes can be used to create an air pressure chamber for your marshmallow launcher, and you should aim for an angle of 45 degrees in order to achieve the maximum range.
Elkay
My engineering assignment calls for me to create a launcher that will propel a jumbo marshmallow at a target 50 feet away. I’m really excited about this assignment since this will be the first thing I’ve ever constructed on my own, but I’m unsure about finding inexpensive materials (my launcher cannot exceed $25).

I recently discover PVC pipes as a cheap way of constructing a cannon & I began working on a http://home.earthlink.net/~copper017/Random/idea.jpg [Broken]. I would like to have a release chamber that contains pressurized air so that the air will force the marshmallow to its target once it is lodged into my device. In order to do this, I would like to use an air pump to fill the chamber with air, but I don’t know if I will get the

Will PVC pipes be okay to use for air pressure? If not, what type of pipes or materials can I use to construct an inexpensive pressure chamber? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried calculating approximately how much pressure will be necessary? I believe PVC has a pressure rating stamped on the side; always allow yourself an extra margin of safety.

drpizza said:
Have you tried calculating approximately how much pressure will be necessary? I believe PVC has a pressure rating stamped on the side; always allow yourself an extra margin of safety.

Oh, I don’t know how to calculate that. But I’m thinking if I check the gauge from the pump and keep within the allotted amount of pressure from the PVC pipe, then it should be okay.

Thanks for that tip-- I didn't know about the PVC pressure rating. :smile:

Launcher help

Elkay said:
My engineering assignment calls for me to create a launcher that will propel a jumbo marshmallow at a target 50 feet away. I’m really excited about this assignment since this will be the first thing I’ve ever constructed on my own, but I’m unsure about finding inexpensive materials (my launcher cannot exceed $25).

I recently discover PVC pipes as a cheap way of constructing a cannon & I began working on a http://home.earthlink.net/~copper017/Random/idea.jpg [Broken]. I would like to have a release chamber that contains pressurized air so that the air will force the marshmallow to its target once it is lodged into my device. In order to do this, I would like to use an air pump to fill the chamber with air, but I don’t know if I will get the

Will PVC pipes be okay to use for air pressure? If not, what type of pipes or materials can I use to construct an inexpensive pressure chamber? Thanks in advance for the advice.

IM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM.BUT FOR MY LAUNCHER WEIRE SHOOTING PING-PONG BALLS. I FOUND THET A FLOURESENT LIGHT COVER WORKS GREAT. IT HAS ENOUGH AIR PRESSURE BUT IT DOESNT HAVE TOO MUCH EITHER. ARE YOU ELEVATING UR LAUNCHER? IF U ARE HOW HIGH AND AT WHAT ANGLE ARE YOU?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sciencewiz,

From what I've read in my text, if you want your projectile to go it's maximum range, the angle you should use is 45 degrees. We (my group) used PVC pipes and an air compressor-- our marshmallow flew beyond 100ft! This is a really cool assignment but I was robbed of much of the fun because I worked with unreliable people who didn't want to participate in anything.

Anyhow, I hope you have fun and I hope you don't have any problems building your launcher. :)

1. How do I construct a launcher using PVC pipes?

To construct a launcher using PVC pipes, you will need a few supplies including PVC pipes, PVC pipe connectors, a saw, and PVC cement. Start by cutting the PVC pipes to the desired length and connecting them using the PVC pipe connectors. Use PVC cement to secure the connections. You can also add additional features such as a trigger mechanism or a base for stability.

2. What is the maximum weight that the launcher can hold?

The maximum weight that the launcher can hold will depend on the strength and thickness of the PVC pipes used. Generally, for a launcher constructed under $25, the maximum weight should be around 1-2 pounds. It is important to test the launcher's weight capacity before using it to avoid any accidents.

3. Can the launcher be used to launch different types of objects?

Yes, the launcher can be used to launch various types of objects such as small balls, toy cars, or even small water balloons. However, make sure to use objects that are not too heavy or too large for the launcher to handle.

4. Is it safe to use the launcher?

If constructed correctly and used with caution, the launcher should be safe to use. However, it is important to always wear protective gear such as goggles and gloves when using the launcher. Also, never aim the launcher at anyone or anything that could get hurt or damaged.

5. How far can the launcher launch an object?

The distance that the launcher can launch an object will depend on the strength and angle of the launch as well as the weight of the object being launched. Generally, the launcher should be able to launch objects up to 10-15 feet away, but this may vary. It is important to test the launcher's range before using it.