Tomorrow's Wisdom Tooth Surgery: Preparation and Tips for Success

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person getting their wisdom tooth surgery tomorrow. They ask if anyone has any movie recommendations for their recovery and others share their experiences and well wishes. The person who had their surgery shares an update that everything went smoothly and they are not experiencing any pain or swelling. Another person shares that their surgery also went well and was easy.
radou
Homework Helper
Wisdom tooth surgery tomorrow !

So, tomorrow at 10:30 am I'm visiting an oral surgeon to finally get it over with. Pleeease hold all your thumbs for everything to go right. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are they putting you to sleep or just numbing it?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

radou said:
So, tomorrow at 10:30 am I'm visiting an oral surgeon to finally get it over with. Pleeease hold all your thumbs for everything to go right. :smile:

You will be fine in a month or two, good luck i hope all goes well.

I remember getting mine out, whatever drugs they gave me it was all worth it. Felt like a million bucks getting out of the chair :)

Yay! Finally! You are going to be so happy you did this, radou. It's no big deal. I got mine done in the morning and went out to rent videos that afternoon. Ask the doc if you can have Vicodin for recovery - it's great stuff.

Evo said:
Are they putting you to sleep or just numbing it?

No, they're just going to use local anaesthesia, since only one wisdom tooth is being removed tomorrow.

wolram said:
You will be fine in a month or two, good luck i hope all goes well.

In a month or two? :bugeye: I didn't hear that. :tongue:

Math Is Hard said:
Yay! Finally! You are going to be so happy you did this, radou. It's no big deal. I got mine done in the morning and went out to rent videos that afternoon. Ask the doc if you can have Vicodin for recovery - it's great stuff.

Well, that's exactly what I'm planning to do tomorrow. Get myself stuffed with painkillers and renting a few videos. Actually, it was yesterday evening that I was totally nervous and completely out of myself because of it, but right now I'm completely relaxed and I can't wait to get rid of the bugger!

I only had one. The dentist applied a local anesthetic. After a few minutes he came back with pliers and tried to pull the tooth with one hand - then two hands - then he put his foot on the arm of the chair for leverage - and the finally came out.

Good luck tomorrow.

Astronuc, that would have been a lovely story to share some other time! :grumpy:

Math Is Hard said:
Astronuc, that would have been a lovely story to share some other time! :grumpy:

Nah, it's okay - I remember my dentist pulling out two of my teeth for the purpose of orthodoncy a long time ago in a similar manner; he placed his foot on the chair, pulled like a madman and was sweating the hell out of himself! :rolleyes:

Hmm that's intersting. I am getting mine out in the morning as well. My surgery is at 9AM and I am getting all 4 removed. I am going to be put to sleep though.

Anybody want to recommend me any movies. Preferably science fiction or things along the line of A Beautiful Mind.

tacosareveryyum said:
Hmm that's intersting. I am getting mine out in the morning as well. My surgery is at 9AM and I am getting all 4 removed. I am going to be put to sleep though.

Hey, good luck to you, too! :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
:rofl: On the bright side, that was first time the dentist had to do that. Hopefully he hasn't done it since. I've always been tough on things. :biggrin:

Good luck. When my friend got hers out the dentist ended up dropping one of the tooth fragments down her sinus cavity and she had to get surgery to have it removed. That was awesome. But I'm sure it won't happen to you, you'll be fine. Another friend just had his removed recently and it didn't seem to bother him at all, he seemed perfectly fine when I saw him the next day and claims it was no big deal.

So, I just came home. Everything went well, and it was done in 30 minutes. Right now I'm sitting here and chewing down on a sterile gauze.

Good to hear it went okay. Follow the instructions they gave you and be make sure to keep the gauze in place. Cool liquids and all that. Happy healing!

Good news. Glad all went well.

Happy to hear all went well. Follow your instructions, the next few days are important to avoiding problems.

radou said:
So, I just came home. Everything went well, and it was done in 30 minutes. Right now I'm sitting here and chewing down on a sterile gauze.

Glad it all went smoothly. Of course, the gauze isn't sterile anymore if you've been chewing on it. :tongue: The most important thing is to resist the temptation to rinse your mouth out too soon, so you don't disturb the clot needed for the healing process. Relax and enjoy your excuse to take a long weekend off. :smile:

Moonbear said:
Glad it all went smoothly. Of course, the gauze isn't sterile anymore if you've been chewing on it. :tongue: The most important thing is to resist the temptation to rinse your mouth out too soon, so you don't disturb the clot needed for the healing process. Relax and enjoy your excuse to take a long weekend off. :smile:

I know, I was instructed not to rinse my mouth until tomorrow, unless any bleeding occurs again. I'm perfectly okay now, the anaesthetic has been worn off for about 3 hours now, and I still feel no pain, just a slight irritation and the flavor of iodine, since I've got a small so-called "iodine-tape" placed on the wound for a few days in order to prevent infection.

A small update: there's still no pain ! It's hardly even swollen. Now it's almost 24 hours since I had surgery. Absolutely great. It seems I'm *really* lucky. :smile:

Well mine was completed as of 9:30 AM this morning. It probably was the easiest surgery I have ever gone through. Although I had 4 teeth removed, I have already been able to eat some solid food. This is with no other pain killers besides asprin and yes the numbing medication has worn off.

The interesting thing about the whole deal was that they attempted to put my to sleep for the surgery but were unable to. The surgeon administered 3 times the normal dose but I was awake and alert the entire surgery. Fortunately the numbing medication did work. They mentioned that my brain was probably to active during the surgery for me to by supseptible to the sleeping drugs which seems odd. I guess it comes with being a physics/math major.

Well, we have a couple of tough cookies here. Glad to hear all went ok with no complications.

radou said:
A small update: there's still no pain ! It's hardly even swollen. Now it's almost 24 hours since I had surgery. Absolutely great. It seems I'm *really* lucky. :smile:
Great outcome! It's nice to see someone get good results like that. Send your dentist a nice thank-you card.

tacosareveryyum said:
Although I had 4 teeth removed, I have already been able to eat some solid food. This is with no other pain killers besides asprin and yes the numbing medication has worn off.

Man, you're t o u g h ! :bugeye: :cool:

It's when the teeth are impacted and they need to break your jaw bone open to get the teeth out that's a killer.

For me, I had the added fun of having the root of the next tooth wrapped tightly around my impacted wisdom tooth.

I didn't want to mention those scenarios until you had finished your extraction.

Is it bad not to get your wisdom teeth removed?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I remember getting mine out, whatever drugs they gave me it was all worth it. Felt like a million bucks getting out of the chair :)
Shoot. I heard several years ago, there was a denist in the western part of Kansas that would pack you nose with cocaine to numb your teeth.:eek:

Gale said:
They only need to be removed if they are causing trouble.

Gale said:

It all depends on how they are growing in. For most people, it seems at least one of them comes in the wrong direction, which damages the other tooth next to it, or doesn't erupt from the gum at all (impacted). If they all grow in in the right direction, no problem at all.

Glad to hear everyone pulled through with flying colors! Tacos, your experience was similar to mine in terms of recovery from all 4 out at a time (and 2 of mine were impacted, but the oral surgeon I had was excellent)...when the oral surgeon called me in the evening to check on me, he sounded pretty surprised when I told him I was enjoying a bowl of chili for dinner. I didn't even need as much as an aspirin. I kept thinking they must have given me some drug that still hadn't worn off, but nope, never really hurt. It was mostly just a dull ache like when you overwork a muscle at the gym...and I think that was more from them stretching my mouth open to get at the teeth than from the teeth themselves. But, the drugs they gave me did knock me out pretty well. Had I known the recovery was going to be so easy, I would have just told them to stick with a local anesthetic and not bother with the rest of the drugs. That's weird that the drugs didn't knock you out at all...not even a little woozy? What sort of parties are you having that drugs don't affect you? :biggrin:

Lol Well I have a history of being resistant to some drugs. Kinda weird. However I think it was more of a will power sort of thing. Physicist get a +2 to their will saves. :) 2 of mine were impacted but the pain is virtually nothing. I had previously almost lost 2 fingers in an accident with a ban saw and they were unable to numb my hand when the gave me the stiches. (only need stitches because I didnt hit the bone)

I think maybe I have mutant super powers like magneto or Dr. Xavier. I will admit that it did hurt some when I ate solid food but I refuse to let pain control me for the next few days. Especially when I have sooo much to do!

So, I'm going to the oral surgeon to have my second wisdom tooth removed tomorrow. If I get rid of this one without any pain, just like the last one, then I'll be one lucky bastard. :biggrin: So, please, hold your thumbs, because apparently it worked the last time. :tongue:

Good luck radou!. Don't worry much about the pain anyway, it's just temporary.

Is the the last one they will be pulling? Good luck, again!

Had you known it was going to go so well last time, you'd have probably had them do both in one session! Good luck!

<h2>What is wisdom tooth surgery?</h2><p>Wisdom tooth surgery, also known as third molar extraction, is a common dental procedure in which one or more of the four wisdom teeth are removed. These teeth are located at the back of the mouth and often cause problems such as pain, infection, and misalignment.</p><h2>How should I prepare for wisdom tooth surgery?</h2><p>Before your surgery, your dentist or oral surgeon will provide you with specific instructions to follow. This may include avoiding food and drink for a certain amount of time before the procedure, arranging for transportation to and from the surgery, and stopping certain medications. It is important to follow these instructions carefully to ensure a successful surgery.</p><h2>What can I expect during the surgery?</h2><p>Wisdom tooth surgery is typically performed under local anesthesia, which numbs the area around the tooth. In some cases, general anesthesia may be used, which will put you to sleep during the procedure. The surgeon will then make an incision in the gum tissue to access the tooth and may need to remove some bone to fully extract the tooth. The incision will then be closed with stitches.</p><h2>What is the recovery process like?</h2><p>After the surgery, you may experience some pain, swelling, and bleeding. Your dentist or oral surgeon will provide you with instructions on how to manage these symptoms, which may include taking pain medication and applying ice packs. You will also be advised to eat soft foods and avoid strenuous activity for a few days. It is important to follow these instructions to promote proper healing.</p><h2>Are there any potential risks or complications?</h2><p>As with any surgery, there are potential risks and complications associated with wisdom tooth extraction. These may include bleeding, infection, nerve damage, and dry socket. However, these complications are rare and can be minimized by following your dentist's instructions and attending follow-up appointments. If you experience any concerning symptoms, be sure to contact your dentist or oral surgeon immediately.</p>

What is wisdom tooth surgery?

Wisdom tooth surgery, also known as third molar extraction, is a common dental procedure in which one or more of the four wisdom teeth are removed. These teeth are located at the back of the mouth and often cause problems such as pain, infection, and misalignment.

How should I prepare for wisdom tooth surgery?

Before your surgery, your dentist or oral surgeon will provide you with specific instructions to follow. This may include avoiding food and drink for a certain amount of time before the procedure, arranging for transportation to and from the surgery, and stopping certain medications. It is important to follow these instructions carefully to ensure a successful surgery.

What can I expect during the surgery?

Wisdom tooth surgery is typically performed under local anesthesia, which numbs the area around the tooth. In some cases, general anesthesia may be used, which will put you to sleep during the procedure. The surgeon will then make an incision in the gum tissue to access the tooth and may need to remove some bone to fully extract the tooth. The incision will then be closed with stitches.

What is the recovery process like?

After the surgery, you may experience some pain, swelling, and bleeding. Your dentist or oral surgeon will provide you with instructions on how to manage these symptoms, which may include taking pain medication and applying ice packs. You will also be advised to eat soft foods and avoid strenuous activity for a few days. It is important to follow these instructions to promote proper healing.

Are there any potential risks or complications?

As with any surgery, there are potential risks and complications associated with wisdom tooth extraction. These may include bleeding, infection, nerve damage, and dry socket. However, these complications are rare and can be minimized by following your dentist's instructions and attending follow-up appointments. If you experience any concerning symptoms, be sure to contact your dentist or oral surgeon immediately.