Which QM formalism is the most useful for understanding research papers?

• Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses different formalisms in quantum mechanics, including Schrodinger's equation, Heisenberg's matrix mechanics, and Feynman's sum over histories. The question is raised about which formalism is the most useful, but it is determined that all of them are important to understand in order to fully comprehend the literature. The conversation also mentions that the formalisms are not difficult to learn and can complement each other in certain situations.
ice109
we have shroedinger's differential equation, Heisenberg's matrix mechanics, dirac's formalism, and feynman sum over histories stuff.

now i may be wrong and and i really don't know anything but i think that these are all equivalent and some even the same thing. but if I am going to learn QM for keeps, which is the most useful formalism? i see the point in wasting time learning one and then relearning how to do the same thing a different way. i think i might as well learn the best and just use that. any dissenting opinions on my aforementioned opinion appreciated. thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Transport said:
You'll learn all of them during your studies.

and if i don't care to? can't you just give me some input?

Your laziness impresses me, but ice is right. Besides, you don't have to learn the same things over and over again. The methods are complimentary.

Edit: I meant Dr Transport is right.

Last edited:
ice109 said:
and if i don't care to? can't you just give me some input?

The thing is: sometimes one formalism is more natural than another, depending on the problem at hand. For example, in QFT, the Feynman approach is most often used, while in nonrelativistic QM, Schrodinger is useful when working in position/momentum space, while Heisenberg is useful when spin is involved... but even that rule of thumb is violated as often as it's true!

Sorry, ice109 - there is no one good choice. The literature covers all of them, so if you want to understand papers, you need all the formalisms.

But they're not all that hard! Once you learned the fundamentals, going from Schrodinger to Heisenberg, for example, is no trouble. :smile:

im not worried about the difficulty, just the annoyance.

Well- I'm writing a paper at the moment where I use both Feynman path-integral and Schrodinger's equation to find particle momenta. I also solve S.E. using a matrix method, which connects with Heisenberg's formulation. Does that answer your question?

blechman said:
... there is no one good choice. The literature covers all of them, so if you want to understand papers, you need all the formalisms...

Perfectly said, look through a years worth of any journal and you will find all of the representations.

What is the most commonly used formalism in Quantum Mechanics?

The most commonly used formalism in Quantum Mechanics is the Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is widely used in quantum physics textbooks and research.

What are the advantages of using the Dirac notation?

The Dirac notation provides a concise and abstract representation of quantum states, making it easier to manipulate and perform calculations. It also allows for a clear and intuitive understanding of complex quantum phenomena.

Can other formalisms be used in Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are other formalisms in Quantum Mechanics such as matrix mechanics and wave mechanics. However, the Dirac notation is the most widely used and preferred due to its simplicity and elegance.

How does the Dirac notation simplify calculations in Quantum Mechanics?

The Dirac notation uses a compact and symbolic representation of states and operators, making calculations involving complex quantum systems more manageable. It also allows for the easy application of mathematical operations such as addition, multiplication, and differentiation.

Are there any limitations to the Dirac notation?

While the Dirac notation is a powerful tool in Quantum Mechanics, it does have some limitations. It cannot be used in certain situations, such as when dealing with continuous quantum systems or systems with infinitely many degrees of freedom. In these cases, other formalisms may be more suitable.