Math bachelors to MechE masters?

In summary, pursuing mechanical engineering as a career may not be feasible at your current university, as they do not offer an engineering program. It would be better to transfer to a different university for your undergraduate education, potentially majoring in physics, to gain practical experience before pursuing a master's program in engineering. Alternatively, your current university does have a 3+2 program with Georgia Tech, but it may take longer to complete and may not provide as much practical experience. It is possible to major in math for your undergraduate degree and then go on to pursue a master's in mechanical engineering, but you may have to catch up on practical experience in graduate school.
Sherman8r44
I've decided that I want to pursue mechanical (automotive) engineering as a career, but unfortunately my school (Emory) doesn't offer engineering. How educationally/vocationally feasible is it to major in math for undergrad, and then go onto a masters MechE program?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say it wasn't very feasible at all: whilst you may be able to learn some theory during your maths degree, you will have zero practical experience (which, i gather, is quite important for a mechanical engineer!) It would be way better for you to just go to a different university for undergrad so you can take mech eng.

you'd be better off doing physics undergrad. Our mech program has a few people who did that

Of course, that's not saying it's not possible. It's been done. You'll have a lot of catching up to do in graduate school. Physics is probably the better major for something like this.

cristo said:
I'd say it wasn't very feasible at all: whilst you may be able to learn some theory during your maths degree, you will have zero practical experience (which, i gather, is quite important for a mechanical engineer!) It would be way better for you to just go to a different university for undergrad so you can take mech eng.

Transferring now would mean a total of at least 5 years spent on undergraduate education (I want to major in economics, too). We have a 3+2 program with Georgia Tech that gets me a liberal arts bachelors from Emory and an engineering bachelors from GT; however, that process takes a total of 5.5 years (it's actually 3+2.5). So I figure it would probably be more advantageous to end up with a masters in engineering after 6 (or maybe slightly more?) years, no?

It is possible, but as others stated, it would be better for you to complete your undergrad in Physics. A coworker of mine completed his BA in Physics, then decided to go into Civil Engineering and completed a BS in it in just one year (there is a lot of overlap), and then went into Structural Engineering for his MS

1. What is the difference between a Math bachelor's and MechE master's degree?

A Math bachelor's degree focuses on theoretical and abstract concepts in mathematics, while a MechE master's degree focuses on the application of these concepts to engineering problems. In other words, a Math degree provides a strong foundation in mathematical principles, while a MechE degree applies these principles to real-world engineering challenges.

2. Can I pursue a MechE master's degree with a Math bachelor's degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a MechE master's degree with a Math bachelor's degree. Many universities offer bridge programs that allow students with a strong math background to transition into engineering disciplines. Additionally, some MechE master's programs may have specific prerequisite courses that can be completed before beginning the program.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available with a Math bachelor's and MechE master's degree?

With a Math bachelor's and MechE master's degree, you can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, renewable energy, and robotics. Some common job titles include mechanical engineer, design engineer, product development engineer, and research scientist.

4. How long does it take to complete a Math bachelor's to MechE master's program?

The duration of a Math bachelor's to MechE master's program varies depending on the university and the individual's academic background. On average, it takes 5-6 years to complete both degrees. However, some universities offer accelerated programs that allow students to complete both degrees in a shorter time frame.

5. What skills will I gain from a Math bachelor's to MechE master's program?

A Math bachelor's to MechE master's program will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematical principles, as well as practical skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. You will also gain technical skills in areas such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science, which are essential for a career in engineering.