Confused abt buoyancy concepts

In summary: With the iron bar, the contest is between displacing its own weight and displacing...something else. So, the iron bar will decrease the water level more than the brick will because it displaces more water.
blade_chong

Homework Statement

Imagine a man in a boat holding a brick. He toss the brick in the water. What will happen to the level of the water when the brick toss in it.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have arrived on 3 solution that's seems to be logical to me but i don't know which is the correct one. Please help to explain to me which one is correct.
The first one is the water level will stay the same due to brick, boat and man already reflected in the water level. The water level is the same regardless if the brick is in the boat or water.
The second one is the water level will decrease. While the brick is still in the boat, the amount of water being displaced by the brick is equal the mass of the brick. When he chucks it in the water, the boat rises, as amt of water due to the mass of brick is no longer being displaced by the boat. When the brick is in the water,it displace less water because it sinks. Less water displaced by the brick means that there is a decrease in water level.
The last one is that the level of water will rise because an additional mass, which is the brick is introduced in the water.
Arghhhh too confusing alrdy. =(

Physics news on Phys.org
blade_chong said:
Arghhhh too confusing alrdy. =(

Hi blade_chong! :rofl:

As you know, I'm not allowed to tell you which is the right answer.

But I can suggest a shorter and more logical approach …

when the brick is floating, it displaces its (what?),

and when the brick is immersed, it displaces its (what?) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi blade_chong! :rofl:

As you know, I'm not allowed to tell you which is the right answer.

But I can suggest a shorter and more logical approach …

when the brick is floating, it displaces its (what?),

and when the brick is immersed, it displaces its (what?) :wink:

weight? can guide me more? :confused:

Two different things are displaced in both cases!

when the brick is floating, it displaces its (own weight of water),
and when the brick is immersed, it displaces its (own volume)?

eureka!

blade_chong said:
when the brick is floating, it displaces its (own weight of water),
and when the brick is immersed, it displaces its (own volume)?

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

And so the water level … ? :smile:

less water is displaced by the brick , which means that water level will decrease..am i right?

blade_chong said:
less water is displaced by the brick , which means that water level will decrease..am i right?

Yes!

Except … there's nothing actually in the question that tells you how dense the brick is, is there? :rolleyes:

So strictly you ought to make some comment about the density of the brick! :biggrin:

then if the brick is less dense than the water (assume that this kind of brick exists), will the water level increase as a result of more water being displaced by the brick?

blade_chong said:
then if the brick is less dense than the water (assume that this kind of brick exists), will the water level increase as a result of more water being displaced by the brick?

Think! :redface:

If you throw something in the water that's less dense than the water, then it will … ? :smile:

it will float. more water is displaced by the brick and water level rises?

i have another query abt buoyancy. Throw a iron bar in a pail of water. The water level will rise. But why doesn't the water level decrease as in the brick example since iron bar displaces its own volume?

blade_chong said:
it will float.

Yes. :smile:
more water is displaced by the brick and water level rises?

Why? :confused:

hmmm...when an object floats, it will displace some water. can guide me further?

blade_chong said:
hmmm...when an object floats, it will displace some water …

Yes … but will it displace any more water than when it was in the boat? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Yes … but will it displace any more water than when it was in the boat? :wink:

ahhhhh...i get it now.. the water level remains the same as the amt of water displace is the same

hmm how abt the iron bar scenario in #12

blade_chong said:
hmm how abt the iron bar scenario in #12

wot #12? :confused:

opps it means post 12, which is
"i have another query abt buoyancy. Throw a iron bar in a pail of water. The water level will rise. But why doesn't the water level decrease as in the brick example since iron bar displaces its own volume? "

blade_chong said:
opps it means post 12, which is
"i have another query abt buoyancy. Throw a iron bar in a pail of water. The water level will rise. But why doesn't the water level decrease as in the brick example since iron bar displaces its own volume? "

ooh, I missed that … it came in while I was replying to post #11! :biggrin:

It's because, with the brick, the contest was between displacing its own weight and displacing its own volume.

But, with the iron bar, it wasn't displacing anything to start with, so … no contest! :smile:

hahahah...i think too much alrdy... thanks tiny-tim, i really appreciate yr help. I have gotten the concept clearer now.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy refers to the upward force that a fluid (such as water) exerts on an object placed in it. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, with the greater pressure pushing the object upwards.

2. How is buoyancy different from weight?

Weight is the force of gravity acting on an object, while buoyancy is the force of a fluid pushing upwards on an object. Buoyancy can counteract the weight of an object, making it appear lighter or even able to float.

3. What is the relationship between buoyancy and density?

The buoyant force on an object is directly proportional to the density of the fluid it is placed in. This means that denser objects will experience a greater buoyant force, making it easier for them to float in less dense fluids.

4. How does the shape of an object affect buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy because it determines how much of the object is submerged in the fluid. Objects with a larger volume and surface area will displace more fluid and experience a greater buoyant force.

5. Can an object sink in a fluid with less density?

Yes, an object can sink in a fluid with less density if the object's density is greater than the fluid's density. This is because the buoyant force will not be enough to counteract the weight of the object, causing it to sink.