Building a Bike Generator: How to Increase Electricity Output?

• Thread starter Meseria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building a bicycle stand generator that produces electricity while riding. The person mentions using a copper coil with magnets inside spinning to create a DC generator. They ask if increasing the length of the coil would produce more electricity, and if spinning the magnets faster would increase voltage or amperage. The conversation also includes a warning about attempting this project without proper knowledge and skills, and suggests buying a commercially available unit. The concept of induction and using the generator to charge batteries and power other devices is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with advice to use a used alternator from a junkyard instead of attempting to build a generator from scratch.
Meseria
Hey,

I am looking to build a generator that goes on a bike stand so when i ride my bike on the stand it will produce electricity.

Im planning on having a copper coil with magnets inside spinning. This is a dc generator right? Well, anyways... i know if i spin the magnets faster it will produce more electricity. Can i increase the amount of copper in the coil in order to produce more electricity? Like if my coil is 500 ft long and i have 2 1" x 3" x 1" rectangle magnets spinning at 100 rpm i should produce x electricity. If i spin faster will i get a higher voltage or amperage? How much more electricity can i produce if my coil is 1000 ft long and i use the same magnets and same 100 rpm?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think that its a function of the inductance of the coils, which isn't necessarily a simple equation as a function of coils and length. A quick google gives for a circular loop:

[tex] r\cdot \left(ln \frac{8r}{a} - 2 + Y \right)[/tex]

Where r is the loop radius, a is the wire radius, and I have no idea what Y is.

First: Don't ever attempt a project like this that could potential produce fatal voltages if you don't know what you are doing. You obviously do not have the skills or knowledge to attempt a project like this so I suggest you just go buy something that is commercially available.

Second: What you described is not a DC generator, but a permanent magnet synchronous machine. In order to get DC you will need to rectify the output.

Third: You can't model a generators power output with speed alone. Voltage is a function of speed, torque a function of current, and power a function of both. In the case of double-fed machines its also a function of the input electrical work.

What do you plan to do with this power anyway? Charge a car battery?

its like a simple generator but larger. I had made one before in class a long time ago where we wound some copper around a plastic bottle, then spun a magnet inside and had the two ends of the wire connected to a small light bulb and when you spun the magnet it would light up the bulb. Its called induction right? Well all i want to do is build a larger one that can charge batteries, make my tv turn on and other stuff like that.

Unless you have a better reason than you have described, save some time and money and buy a commercially available unit. If this is a "relearning exercise" for instruction go for it!,.

Even if you were able to build a generator which produced the voltage and current you require, it would be a miracle if it lasted a week. Without close tolerances and proper bearings it will wear out fast. A used alternator from a junkyard would be a far better source than anything you can make. Commercially available gens and alts are the result of tens of thousands of designs, manufacturing techniques, wire coatings, diode size tests,etc,fan size for cooling,etc,etc.

1. How does a bike generator work?

A bike generator works by converting the mechanical energy produced by pedaling a bike into electrical energy. This is done through a dynamo, which is a small generator installed on the bike's rear wheel. As the wheel turns, the dynamo produces electricity which can be stored in a battery or used to power devices directly.

2. How can I increase the electricity output of a bike generator?

There are several ways to increase the electricity output of a bike generator. These include using a larger wheel, installing a more efficient dynamo, pedaling at a faster rate, and using a larger gear ratio. Additionally, optimizing the wiring and connections on the bike can also improve the electricity output.

3. What materials do I need to build a bike generator?

The materials needed to build a bike generator include a bike, a dynamo, a battery, and electrical wiring. You may also need tools such as pliers, wire cutters, and screwdrivers. Depending on your specific design, you may also need additional materials such as a voltage regulator and an inverter.

4. Is building a bike generator difficult?

Building a bike generator can be a challenging project, but it is not necessarily difficult. It requires basic knowledge of electrical circuits and some DIY skills. With the right materials and instructions, it can be a fun and rewarding project for anyone interested in renewable energy.

5. Can I use a bike generator to power my home?

It is possible to use a bike generator to power small appliances or devices in your home, but it would not be able to power your entire home. The electricity output of a bike generator is relatively low, so it is more suitable for charging small electronics or powering LED lights. To power your entire home, you would need a much larger and more powerful generator.