Soldering Inconel and ceramics

In summary, the author is trying to find a way to bond an Inconel to a ceramic. They are using a brazing material with an argon environment and a 51.5-48.5 indium-tin solder. They are having trouble bonding them together and are looking for help from an expert.
prickerbush
i am doing some research for my university involving soldering an Inconel to a ceramic. i am new to soldering in general, and I am new to this lab. the inconel is nickle-chromium (dont know the composition) and i think the ceramic is Ti-oxide/Zn-oxide/Zirconium-oxide or something. basically, I am having trouble getting them to bond. right now I am using a 51.5-48.5 indium-tin solder. and I am using a brazing furnace to run tests.

i am just wondering if anyone has any experience in this field and if they could give me a little help for my research like what filler material to use, what flux, heating rates, cleaning of the samples, anything. i can't find too many papers covering this topic.

thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm familiar with brazing Inconels to other Inconels and stainless steel, but not ceramic.

If one is searching use braze or brazing Inconel to ceramic rather than soldering.

One should really know the type of Inconel since Ni-Cr contents can vary widely, and one should know the ceramic composition as well. The flux or brazing compound must be chemically compatible with the Inconel and ceramic (metal oxide) substrates.

inconel is Inconel 600 (72-14-8 Ni-Cr-Fe or something close to that) and the ceramic is titanium oxide, lead oxide, and zirconium oxide, if that helps. currently we using an argon environment for the brazing.

we have been putting a small piece of the In-Sn solder between the inconel and ceramic, wrapping it in copper wire, then putting it in the tube furnace. do you think think this method is effective? should we apply the solder to the inconel first, then put on the ceramic, then put it in the furnace to facilitate diffusion? my professor is leaving it up to me to find a solution, but i really don't have any experience with soldering.

thank you very much!

prickerbush said:
inconel is Inconel 600 (72-14-8 Ni-Cr-Fe or something close to that) and the ceramic is titanium oxide, lead oxide, and zirconium oxide, if that helps. currently we using an argon environment for the brazing.

we have been putting a small piece of the In-Sn solder between the inconel and ceramic, wrapping it in copper wire, then putting it in the tube furnace. do you think think this method is effective? should we apply the solder to the inconel first, then put on the ceramic, then put it in the furnace to facilitate diffusion? my professor is leaving it up to me to find a solution, but i really don't have any experience with soldering.

thank you very much!

If you're allowing the copper wire to touch the indium solder, the
copper may contaminate the solder. It might be better to find
another wire to use for binding the parts (perhaps Ti?).

A very good info source for Indium solder use is www.indium.com, and
this page: http://www.indium.com/techlibrary/applicationnotes.php
may be helpful.

Even better: http://www.indium.com/products/solderkits/bondingtononmetallic.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a new soldering material for joining ALL METALS and CERAMICS! Please contact me, as I am interested to find out why you need to join ICONEL to ceramics. What is the service temperature of this component?

Yangloh, Can you explain a little?
I don't think that one material can use for joining all metalls to ceramic unles your joing are "cold". I explain, I can "joint" two materials with plasticine or a resin or something like that, but this joining can not use in the conditions where you will use the superalloy (high temp, corrosion,...)
In the environment conditions where I'll use a superalloy I'll need a brazing material or a solding material that it have a very good properties.

We have just patented a solder alloy that can join dissimilar materials such as aluminum to titanium copper brass steel. And rubies quartz metallic oxides n glass. I was searching for information n stumbled on ur posts. As prickbush on his work on iconel to ceramics. And wondered what application it is for? Indium tin solder that he is using is also v low temperatures! Our solder is at 200 deg n it is lead free n flux free. We are targeting several general repairs industries n the robust microelectronics industries + rf n opto- sectors because of it's ability to solder aluminum n metallize glass. If u could send me ur email, I could seek ur advice. Because you seem like an expert in certain fields. Thank you yang

What is Inconel?

Inconel is a type of nickel-based superalloy that is known for its high strength, corrosion resistance, and ability to withstand extreme temperatures. It is commonly used in aerospace, marine, and chemical processing industries.

What is the process of soldering Inconel and ceramics?

The process of soldering Inconel and ceramics involves heating the materials to a high temperature and then joining them together using a filler metal that has a lower melting point. The filler metal is melted and flows into the joint, creating a strong bond between the Inconel and ceramic.

What type of solder is recommended for soldering Inconel and ceramics?

A high-temperature solder that is specifically designed for joining metals and ceramics is recommended for soldering Inconel and ceramics. These solders have a higher melting point and are able to withstand the extreme temperatures required for the soldering process.

What precautions should be taken when soldering Inconel and ceramics?

When soldering Inconel and ceramics, it is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, as the materials can become very hot during the soldering process. It is also important to make sure the work area is well-ventilated and to handle the materials carefully to avoid any accidents.

Can Inconel and ceramics be soldered together permanently?

Yes, Inconel and ceramics can be soldered together permanently using the proper techniques and materials. However, it is important to note that the bond may not be as strong as other joining methods, such as welding, and may not be suitable for all applications. It is best to consult with a professional or conduct thorough testing before using soldering as a permanent joining method for Inconel and ceramics.