Shake Weight: Unlock Your Muscles with Dynamic Inertia

In summary, the Shake Weight is a product marketed as a revolutionary workout tool using Dynamic Inertia technology to ignite muscles in the arms, shoulders, and chest. However, it has received criticism for its suggestive motion and questionable effectiveness. Some people see it as a gag gift or bachelorette party item, and there have been jokes made about its 30-second workout time and potential for charging other devices. However, its effectiveness has been questioned and experts recommend a balanced diet and proper weightlifting for toning and losing arm fat.
From the stupidity that brought us the cordless jump rope, we have the shake weights. I'm sure you've seen/heard the jokes being made about the suggestive motion you make while using these. You might as well pickup a brick and shake it.

Based on a completely new workout technology called Dynamic Inertia, which ignites the muscles in your arm, shoulders, and chest

https://www.shakeweight.com/ver5/index.asp

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
From the genius that brought us the cordless jump rope, we have the shake weights.

:biggrin:

One of my coworkers showed me a very funny spoof of this product. Wow, how could the original marketers not know that it would go in that direction?

But maybe they *did* know, and it's genius marketing.

lisab said:
But maybe they *did* know, and it's genius marketing.

oh I'm quite sure they did! how pathetic that it works and people buy this garbage

Oh my god.

This product doesn't need to be spoofed.

It is its own spoof.

:rofl: Now I understand why it's mostly women who get those flabby arms. Clearly, men have no need for the shake weight. :rofl:

Why do I have the feeling most of the sales of this item are being made to people in need of gag gifts at sororities and fraternities or for bachelorette parties?

Will all the women who want a Shake-Weight please contact me via PM? I can hook you up with a workout partner, and save you money. If you are enthusiastic about your workouts, I can possibly get your monetary out-lay reduced to almost nothing.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
:rofl: Now I understand why it's mostly women who get those flabby arms. Clearly, men have no need for the shake weight. :rofl:

:rofl:

It gets better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7xrr8XQ_-Y

Do you hate working out at the gym...with boring, slow dumbells?

And, it seems the men can only last 30 seconds before getting worn out. :rofl:

There's no end to the jokes there!

Turbo, have you checked with your wife before seeking workout partners? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Turbo, have you checked with your wife before seeking workout partners? :biggrin:
At 30 seconds per, it seems a bit silly to recruit workout workout partners. I'm pretty sure that I could troll the local local VFW and Elks halls and get enough 70-80 year old customers to keep the "shake weight" ladies busy for a long, long time.

Moonbear said:

And, it seems the men can only last 30 seconds before getting worn out. :rofl:

Yeah, well, look how young they are!

I sent a link for this to the women in the family, and suggested that the respective men in the family would like them to get this for Christmas.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I sent a link for this to the women in the family, suggesting that the respective men in the family would like them to get this for Christmas.

Please report back and let us know how that goes for you, Ivan.

GeorginaS said:
Please report back and let us know how that goes for you, Ivan.

My cousin loved it! Haven't heard from the rest yet, but I have no doubt that my one sister will laugh herself to tears.

But it has a TRIPLE money-back guarantee. LOL, what the heck does that mean?

Ivan Seeking said:
I sent a link for this to the women in the family, and suggested that the respective men in the family would like them to get this for Christmas.
I did exactly the same thing - except in my blog!

DaveC426913 said:
I did exactly the same thing - except in my blog!

See, I knew I liked the way you think. :biggrin:

I have tried to come up with a response after viewing this thread several times...I still can't.

hypatia said:
I have tried to come up with a response after viewing this thread several times...I still can't.

You mean nothing that would be PG13? :rofl:

I really do wonder about the discussions had in the marketing department before the commercial was released. The product itself is all but a dirty joke, so what does an advertising agency do with that? Run with it I guess.

Thought about this thread earlier when I was walking Riki. It was dark, he did his thing, I got out the poop bag and my shake up flash light. It takes about 50 shakes to get it bright enough to find a dog pile. So this thread came to mind.

It occurs to me that they missed the boat, they should have built in a battery charger so you could charge you Ipod while you workout!

Integral said:
Thought about this thread earlier when I was walking Riki. It was dark, he did his thing, I got out the poop bag and my shake up flash light. It takes about 50 shakes to get it bright enough to find a dog pile. So this thread came to mind.

It occurs to me that they missed the boat, they should have built in a battery charger so you could charge you Ipod while you workout!
You missed the boat! There is a new prototype Shake Weight in testing that will charge a proprietary industrial-duty vibrator.

I have a friend who thinks the ropeless jump rope is a good idea. She reasons that normal jump ropes get tied up in your feet. That's part of the skill.
Without a rope, not only is there no motivation to jump, there's no reason to even have the handles to spin around either. Just jump without anything in your hands. No need to buy something for that.

But yeah, as far as the shake weight goes, people are so ignorant about exercise and nutrition that I've pretty much given up trying to explain it to them.
People feel the burning in specific muscles and they equate that with the fat burning away in that area.
If you want to lose arm fat, go on a diet and do some cardio. If you want to tone up your arms, lift some weights properly.
Normally if you shake something, you'd have to move your arms up and down, but this thing shifts its weight, so it becomes basically an isometric exercise. Exercises with no range of motion don't sound very efficient.

leroyjenkens said:
I have a friend who thinks the ropeless jump rope is a good idea. She reasons that normal jump ropes get tied up in your feet. That's part of the skill.
Without a rope, not only is there no motivation to jump, there's no reason to even have the handles to spin around either. Just jump without anything in your hands. No need to buy something for that.
I'm not sure of your point.

Your friend thinks it's a good idea and then states why it isn't.

The second half of the paragraph (starting with "That's part of the skill."): is that your refutation of her opinion, in which you show why she's wrong? You need to make that more clear.

I'm not sure of your point.

Your friend thinks it's a good idea and then states why it isn't.

The second half of the paragraph (starting with "That's part of the skill."): is that your refutation of her opinion, in which you show why she's wrong? You need to make that more clear.
Getting your feet tangled in the rope wouldn't be part of the skill. I don't know why I said "that's part of the skill". I meant to say that learning HOW to jump the rope successfully is part of jump roping. It's not just an exercise.
I guess I thought I could sum all that up in a small incoherent sentence: "that's part of the skill".

Lamest "as seen on tv" thing yet invented, lol.

Integral said:

You invent it, I'll buy it!

mcknia07 said:
You invent it, I'll buy it!

Just buy one of those shake flashlights, hook it up to your ipod, and start shaking!

1. What is the Shake Weight and how does it work?

The Shake Weight is a fitness tool that uses dynamic inertia to provide resistance and engage the muscles in the arms, chest, and shoulders. It works by creating an oscillating motion as the user holds and shakes the weight, which causes their muscles to contract and relax rapidly.

2. Is the Shake Weight effective for building muscle?

The Shake Weight can be effective for building muscle, especially in the upper body. The dynamic inertia and resistance can help strengthen and tone the muscles in the arms, chest, and shoulders. However, it should be used in conjunction with other exercises and a balanced diet for optimal results.

3. Can anyone use the Shake Weight?

The Shake Weight is designed for anyone looking to improve their upper body strength and tone their muscles. However, it is not recommended for individuals with injuries or health conditions that may be aggravated by the rapid shaking motion. It is always best to consult with a doctor before starting any new fitness routine.

4. How often should I use the Shake Weight?

The frequency of use for the Shake Weight will depend on your fitness goals and current fitness level. It is recommended to start with 2-3 times a week and gradually increase to 5-6 times a week. It is also important to listen to your body and take breaks when needed.

5. Can the Shake Weight help with weight loss?

The Shake Weight can be a helpful tool in a weight loss journey, as it can aid in building muscle and increasing overall strength and endurance. However, it should not be used as the sole means of weight loss. A combination of regular exercise, a healthy diet, and lifestyle changes are necessary for sustainable weight loss.