Ok to use MOSFET body diode as flyback protection?

In summary, using an internal zener diode in a MOSFET for flyback protection is not a bad idea, but using an external diode is usually more efficient and faster.
TheAnalogKid
Hello,

I am designing a motor controller, and I was curious about the MOSFETs I'm using that have an internal body diode zener for Vds protection that is common in a lot of datasheets.

I am switching the coils of the inductor with these MOSFETs, and I would like to know if its unwise to assume to use the internal zener diode of the MOSFET as my flyback diode when I am switching the inductor.

The part I'm using is IRFP3206 and I see the max pulsed current is 840 Amps for the FET's diode, and I can do the calculations to approximate the flyback current, so I think it is ok to use.

But, I just am cautious to use the internal diode for a specific function, when it seems like it is put in more to protect the FET junctions as a general purpose protection. Is this done in practice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if it's normal practice or not (I'd guess not), but with a forward voltage of 1.3V you're wasting power compared to an external Schottky for instance. Also, the reverse recovery time of the internal diode is typically not as fast as it will be with an external diode. Hard to tell if these are issues with the limited information you provided. Good luck.

gnurf said:
I'm not sure if it's normal practice or not (I'd guess not), but with a forward voltage of 1.3V you're wasting power compared to an external Schottky for instance. Also, the reverse recovery time of the internal diode is typically not as fast as it will be with an external diode. Hard to tell if these are issues with the limited information you provided. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the response. I didn't take these factors into consideration, and they seem to be good arguments for using an external diode.

When you switch an inductive load with a FET or transistor, the main spike is positive going, so a diode across the FET isn't going to help unless it is a Zener diode.

The diode needs to be a fast one and across the load with the anode connected to the drain of the FET.

The diode in Mosfets is usually shown as a Zener, but this would break down at some fairly high voltage (maybe 50 volts or so), so the power dissipated would be quite high and it would add to the heating of the FET.

1. What is a MOSFET body diode?

A MOSFET body diode is a diode that is inherent in the structure of a MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor). It is formed by the p-n junction between the N-doped body and the P-doped source/drain regions of the MOSFET.

2. How does a MOSFET body diode provide flyback protection?

When a MOSFET is used as a switch in a circuit, the body diode conducts in the reverse direction when the MOSFET is turned off. This allows for the inductive current from the load to flow through the diode and prevent damage to the MOSFET from voltage spikes.

3. Is it safe to use the MOSFET body diode as flyback protection?

Yes, the MOSFET body diode can be used as flyback protection as it is a natural part of the MOSFET structure and does not require any additional components. However, it is important to ensure that the diode can handle the current and voltage levels of the circuit.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using the MOSFET body diode as flyback protection?

One potential drawback is that the MOSFET body diode may have a higher forward voltage drop compared to other types of diodes, which can lead to power losses in the circuit. Additionally, the diode may not be able to handle high currents, so it is important to consider the requirements of the circuit when using it for flyback protection.

5. Can the MOSFET body diode be used for other types of protection?

Yes, the MOSFET body diode can also provide protection against reverse polarity and overvoltage. However, it is important to consider the limitations of the diode and ensure that it can handle the current and voltage levels of the circuit for these additional protection functions.