Benzoic acid Molar Extinction Coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for molar extinction coefficient values for various compounds and the difficulty in accessing this information online. A paper is mentioned that provides log ε values for benzoic acid in different solvents, and the use of the Beer-Lambert law to calculate εmax for a particular experiment is explained. There is also a mention of using concentrations within the linear range and making a plot of A vs. c to determine the experimentally-determined εmax. Finally, there is a brief mention of a misunderstanding about calculating concentrations and the use of the equation A=εmaxcL.
DCalfine
Hi guys! First time post here.

I was wondering where on the internet you could find such a value? I have tried searching for sites that may have a list of molar extinction coefficient values for various compounds but have found them to be quite hard to access. Would any of you with perhaps considerably more experience in this direct me to the right place? Many thanks. :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What solvent did you use? I found a table in the following paper that had log ε values for benzoic acid in different solvents:

Herbert E. Ungnade, Robert W. Lamb
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1952, 74 (15), pp 3789–3794

log ε for Benzoic Acid in:

Cyclohexane: 2.96
Chloroform: 2.95-2.96
0.01 N HCl: 2.96
Water: 2.96
Methanol: 2.81
Ethanol: 2.84
Isopropanol: 2.84
t-butanol: 2.88
Dioxane: 2.92

I don't know about particular websites that have this type of information, though. I'm sure there's a way to calculate it; I just don't know how.

These things are much easier determined experimentally than calculated.

DDTea - what wavelength is this information for?

DDTea said:
What solvent did you use? I found a table in the following paper that had log ε values for benzoic acid in different solvents:

Herbert E. Ungnade, Robert W. Lamb
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1952, 74 (15), pp 3789–3794

log ε for Benzoic Acid in:

Cyclohexane: 2.96
Chloroform: 2.95-2.96
0.01 N HCl: 2.96
Water: 2.96
Methanol: 2.81
Ethanol: 2.84
Isopropanol: 2.84
t-butanol: 2.88
Dioxane: 2.92

I don't know about particular websites that have this type of information, though. I'm sure there's a way to calculate it; I just don't know how.

0.1 M HCl was added to the decresing volumes of Benzoic acid each time before being made up to 50cm3 with distilled water. Then, each of these sultions of differing volumes of benzoic acid were analysed in a spectrophotometer for absorbance values.

Whoops Borek, that was a pretty silly omission on my part wasn't it? I'd assume it was for the lambda-max value, corresponding to the pi-->pi* transition, but I don't know which wavelength they used...

Unfortunately, from my home computer, I cannot access that article! So this is from table 11-9 of Organic Structural Determination by Lambert et. al. *

Benzoic acid in:

Water: λmax = 230nm, εmax = 10 000
95% Ethanol: λmax = 226nm, εmax = 9 800

In less polar solvents, I would expect λmaxand εmax to decrease slightly due to solvatochromic effects.

In any case, for this particular experiment, you can calculate εmax using the Beer-Lambert law, where:

A = εmaxcL

where A = absorbance value, c = concentration (molarity), L = pathlength of the light beam (the width of your cuvette containing your sample).

The idea when using the Beer-Lambert law is to use concentrations that are within the "linear range" for the molecule and the spectrophotometer: i.e., to only analyze samples where a linear relationship can be made between absorbance and concentration. You're going to have to make a plot of A vs. c. The slope will be your experimentally-determined εmax for the wavelength you used.

I thought you were wondering how εmax could be calculated from quantum mechanics :P

*Joseph B. Lambert et. al. Organic Structural Determination. Prentice-Hall, Inc.: 1998. ISBN: 0-13-258690-8

Last edited:
DDTea said:
Whoops Borek, that was a pretty silly omission on my part wasn't it? I'd assume it was for the lambda-max value, corresponding to the pi-->pi* transition, but I don't know which wavelength they used...

Unfortunately, from my home computer, I cannot access that article! So this is from table 11-9 of Organic Structural Determination by Lambert et. al. *

Benzoic acid in:

In less polar solvents, I would expect λmaxand εmax to decrease slightly due to solvatochromic effects.

In any case, for this particular experiment, you can calculate εmax using the Beer-Lambert law, where:

A = εmaxcL

where A = absorbance value, c = concentration (molarity), L = pathlength of the light beam (the width of your cuvette containing your sample).

The idea when using the Beer-Lambert law is to use concentrations that are within the "linear range" for the molecule and the spectrophotometer: i.e., to only analyze samples where a linear relationship can be made between absorbance and concentration. You're going to have to make a plot of A vs. c. The slope will be your experimentally-determined εmax for the wavelength you used.

I thought you were wondering how εmax could be calculated from quantum mechanics :P

*Joseph B. Lambert et. al. Organic Structural Determination. Prentice-Hall, Inc.: 1998. ISBN: 0-13-258690-8

Sorry, that misunderstanding may have been not providing enough detail on my part. Although I have already worked out the εmax to be at 0.0011 from my gradient of y=mx+c. As I am working out the end concentration of an unknown product, this has led to calculating my concentration to 632.72 from the A=εmaxcL equation. I assume I divide this concentration by 1000 twice to get a value that is closer to my other end concentration values that I have worked out, which are values that are x10-4 M?

DDTea said:

Benzoic acid in:

A = εmaxcL

DCalfine said:
Sorry, that misunderstanding may have been not providing enough detail on my part. Although I have already worked out the εmax to be at 0.0011 from my gradient of y=mx+c. As I am working out the end concentration of an unknown product, this has led to calculating my concentration to 632.72 from the A=εmaxcL equation. I assume I divide this concentration by 1000 twice to get a value that is closer to my other end concentration values that I have worked out, which are values that are x10-4 M?

Sorry, ignore my previous question. I have realized that this whole confusion was mostly caused by one very stupid mistake that I should've seen. :redface:
But as for the values, thank you. They have been very useful.

1. What is the molar extinction coefficient of benzoic acid?

The molar extinction coefficient of benzoic acid is a measure of how strongly it absorbs light at a specific wavelength. It is represented by the symbol ε and has units of liters per mole per centimeter (L/mol/cm).

2. How is the molar extinction coefficient of benzoic acid determined?

The molar extinction coefficient of benzoic acid is typically determined experimentally by measuring the absorbance of a known concentration of benzoic acid solution at a specific wavelength using a spectrophotometer. The absorbance values are then used to calculate the molar extinction coefficient using the Beer-Lambert Law.

3. What factors can affect the molar extinction coefficient of benzoic acid?

The molar extinction coefficient of benzoic acid can be affected by factors such as solvent, pH, temperature, and concentration. Different solvents can have different effects on the absorbance of benzoic acid, and changes in pH or temperature can alter the chemical structure of the compound, thereby affecting its absorbance properties. Additionally, higher concentrations of benzoic acid can result in self-absorption, leading to inaccurate molar extinction coefficient values.

4. What is the significance of the molar extinction coefficient of benzoic acid?

The molar extinction coefficient of benzoic acid is an important parameter in spectrophotometric measurements and can be used to determine the concentration of benzoic acid in a solution. It is also useful in identifying and characterizing benzoic acid in various analytical techniques, such as high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and capillary electrophoresis.

5. Can the molar extinction coefficient of benzoic acid change over time?

The molar extinction coefficient of benzoic acid is a constant value for a specific wavelength and concentration under ideal conditions. However, if the compound undergoes chemical reactions or degrades over time, its molar extinction coefficient may change. It is important to use freshly prepared solutions of benzoic acid when measuring its molar extinction coefficient to ensure accurate results.