GR & Rotating Water: Mach's Principle Explained

• Thread starter exponent137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Water
In summary: Mach's principle is indeed incorporated into general relativity in some way. Insofar as Mach's principle might suggest that the results of an experiment could be surprising, this is certainly what general relativity predicts. However, insofar as Mach's principle might suggest that the results of an experiment couldn't be predicted at all, this is not what general relativity predicts.
exponent137
I am reading about rotating water in bucket - about Mach's principle. But, how general relativity explains this bucket.
1. Let us say, that bucket with water is the only object in universe. What GR says.
2. Let us say that one star in distance is in this universe. How rotating water "know" that it rotates and so curves it surface.
3. etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Same as Newton. Rotation is absolute.
2) Same as Newton.

GR does not incorporate a naive Mach principle.

However, there is a sense in which is Machian. In Newtonian theory, the question of what frames are inertial is somehow God given. In GR, the totality of matter influences what frames are inertial, and in a closed universe, completely determines what frames are inertial.

It is presumably beyond you, but the following discusses different formulations of Mach's Principle and discusses how at least one form of it is encompassed in GR:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.3368

1) Gr says that the surface of the water curves if it rotates, and doesn't curve if it doesn't. It doesn't particularly matter whether the bucket is alone in the universe or not. Assuming an asymptotically flat space-time (you need to specify this as well as the matter distribution), you can write down solutions where the bucket's surface curves, and ascribe rotation to these solutions and you can write down solutions where the bucket's surface doesn't curve, and ascribe no rotation to those solutions, regardless of the rest of the universe,

2) This may or may not be compatible with a specific interpretation of Mach's principle, depending exactly on what you interpret Mach's principle to mean. It seems to be incompatible with the average person's interpretation of the principle from my observations but not necessarily incompatible with all possible intepretations of the principle.

PAllen said:
1)In GR, the totality of matter influences what frames are inertial, and in a closed universe, completely determines what frames are inertial.
I have trouble with 'frames being inertial' in curved spacetime. Perhaps you should explain what you mean by that.

Passionflower said:
I have trouble with 'frames being inertial' in curved spacetime. Perhaps you should explain what you mean by that.

There are more modern definitions I am not expert in, but the older definition is simply local Fermi-Normal coordinates along a timelike world line (I guess, possibly including rotating the frame). Juilian Barbour's idea is that in a closed universe, which frames, so defined, are inertial is completely determined by the matter distribution (in an open universe, there are boundary conditions as well, so matter distribution is not fully determinative).

Last edited:
If you could rotate a bucket of water in an 'empty' [Minkowski] universe, the results might be surprising.

Chronos said:
If you could rotate a bucket of water in an 'empty' [Minkowski] universe, the results might be surprising.

I also think so. There is no reference non-rotating system...

It is also a question why it is easier to find relativity in linear direction than in circular direction!

Last edited:
PAllen said:
1) Same as Newton. Rotation is absolute.
2) Same as Newton.

GR does not incorporate a naive Mach principle.

However, there is a sense in which is Machian. In Newtonian theory, the question of what frames are inertial is somehow God given. In GR, the totality of matter influences what frames are inertial, and in a closed universe, completely determines what frames are inertial.

It is presumably beyond you, but the following discusses different formulations of Mach's Principle and discusses how at least one form of it is encompassed in GR:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.3368

Thanks for a link. I hope that It will clarify a lot.

What was Einstein's opinion about this?

It seems to me, that if we remove all from universe, there no space-time remains - according to difeomorphism and general covariance.

There are claims that gravitational waves defines empty space - but they need one rest inertial sistem, but if we remove all matter, there is not reference rest inertial system...

Last edited:
Chronos said:

There are some fundamental difficulties with carrying out such an experiment, so it's not surprising that we haven't performed such an experiment, and its more problematic in that we probably will never be able to actually perform such an experiment.

While we can't actual perform the experiment, we CAN easily analyze the situation to see what special and/or general relativity predicts. The short version is that SR and GR predict "nothing surprising".

So the way I see it is that we are currently left with no theoretical and no experimental support for any such surprises.

It's possible that some other theory will someday give theoretical support for "suprises", but that theory won't be SR or GR.

If you call the idea that there are "suprising" results in this circumstance "Mach's principle" (this isn't universally accepted, but it seems common, though I might add it seems more common on PF than it does in the literature), then we can say that SR and GR are "not Machian".

Now we haven't disproved this particular interpretation of Mach's principle, the problem with the principle as stated is that it can't be disproved in any experiment we can actually perform, putting it into the realm of philosophy. But what we can say is that SR and GR are not "Machian" in this particular sense.

pervect said:
While we can't actual perform the experiment, we CAN easily analyze the situation to see what special and/or general relativity predicts. The short version is that SR and GR predict "nothing surprising".

So the way I see it is that we are currently left with no theoretical and no experimental support for any such surprises.
I do not understand, how SR or GR determines the preffered situation this means when bucket does not rotate?

Maybe it is a cause because relativistically the bucket cannot rotate as a rigid body, thus we can always decipher zero position?

Last edited:

1. What is Mach's Principle?

Mach's Principle is a concept in physics that suggests that the inertia of an object is affected by the distribution of matter in the universe. It states that an object's inertia is determined by the gravitational effects of all other matter in the universe.

2. How does GR (General Relativity) explain Mach's Principle?

GR explains Mach's Principle by taking into account the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of matter. According to GR, the inertia of an object is due to its interaction with the curved space-time around it, which is affected by the distribution of matter in the universe.

3. What is the relationship between GR and rotating water?

The relationship between GR and rotating water lies in the fact that both are influenced by the curvature of space-time. In the case of rotating water, the Coriolis effect is caused by the rotation of the Earth, which is a result of the Earth's curvature in space-time according to GR.

4. How does the rotation of water demonstrate Mach's Principle?

The rotation of water demonstrates Mach's Principle by showing that the inertia of the water is affected by the distribution of matter in the universe. As the Earth rotates, the water is also affected by the curvature of space-time, resulting in the Coriolis effect. This effect is a manifestation of the water's inertia being influenced by the distribution of matter in the universe, as suggested by Mach's Principle.

5. Is Mach's Principle universally accepted by the scientific community?

Mach's Principle is a controversial concept and is not universally accepted by the scientific community. While some scientists believe it provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between matter and space-time, others argue that it is not supported by enough evidence. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand and accept Mach's Principle.